Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

I remember getting a maximum temperature at 1pm of -11oC in 2010, which is crazy for a coastal town. For crazy snowfall we only need to go back to January, March and April of 2013.

2010 was superb, in all honesty probably a once or twice in a lifetime event for our part of the world.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep January 2010 and December 2010 were the last 'reasonable' falls here.

2011 nah

February 2012 very little

January 2013 again very little 

March 2013 as above

Last winter - nothing to say about that.

Edited by Paul90

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Just got a hail/grauple shower here all white until it stops and melts

Posted

Temp must have dropped as not melting instantly like it did earlier

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Frequent heavy large hail showers during the last hour or so have dropped the temperature nicely now, from 4.7 an hour ago to 2.6 currently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

the gfs p takes forever to roll out

Posted

Snowing for two hours now..... 1-2 inches eventually..... Coming down thickly..... Temp -1c.....the showers are alinging along liverpool bay in a line across to here now â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸ So happy....

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 6

Posted

Temp defiantly dropped as last shower still not melted away and surfaces where wet before it

Edited by davacr123
  • Like 1

Posted

Please just wait and be patient, these posts are so frustrating, its day 1! Today temps have been unexpectedly a tad higher (altho falling now) due to the slightly more westerly component to wind. Next couple of days will be colder, still some showers around, but real fun & games will be Monday night through to Wednesday. I'm not saying it will be an 80's style snowfest, but snow prospects will improve. Whilst I understand the negativity to a degree, you can't write off a cold spell on the first day with a good 4 or 5 days remaining - this applies to the last 5 posts tbh.

What I think they are worried about is this.

If today can be warmer than forecast cos of a more westerly aspect to wind-why can't the same happen next week.

Only 2 days ago I was looking at charts for next week with uppers of -7 to -10 for our region, they have suddenly dissappered! Everyone in the model thread was wetting their pants with excitment re deep cold and prolonged cold spell-now they're not!

Posted

I don't know about you but im freezing

Nice ,a bit Kyle minogue here !!!!.

?

I don't know about you but im freezing?

I should be so lucky Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 2

Posted

GFS ppn charts show an area of ppn moving south in the northerly wins later, hitting NW between 9pm and midnight. Nothing too substantial tho.

I've been back in UK two years, after living in Australia, I am snow starved too! Nothing substantial since 2011!

Currently a load of ppn heading in from Irish sea, hope the temps can drop enough before it's arrival!

Well let's keep our fingers crossed! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp defiantly dropped as last shower still not melted away and surfaces where wet before it

yes, hail still on the ground here also.temp now 2.3°C.

Next shower incoming I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

What I think they are worried about is this.

If today can be warmer than forecast cos of a more westerly aspect to wind-why can't the same happen next week.

Only 2 days ago I was looking at charts for next week with uppers of -7 to -10 for our region, they have suddenly dissappered! Everyone in the model thread was wetting their pants with excitment re deep cold and prolonged cold spell-now they're not!

I take your point, but temps are already falling away, ppn is still moving into the NW and will turn more readily to snow. Monday to Wednesday still looks very promising, very cold with heavy ppn moving in - at this stage, nothing to suggest it wont be snow. Yes, models tantalizingly played with the idea of prolonged cold, but it soon disappeared and people got carried away... still times for things to change but I think people should just enjoy this evening (if you're lucky, some have got a few inches of snow - friends of mine in other parts of NW have seen a fair bit of snow) and rest of us should wait till next few days especially Tuesday/Wednesday :)

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Hopefully showers forecast for tonight will fall as snow and not rain

Posted

I take your point, but temps are already falling away, ppn is still moving into the NW and will turn more readily to snow. Monday to Wednesday still looks very promising, very cold with heavy ppn moving in - at this stage, nothing to suggest it wont be snow. Yes, models tantalizingly played with the idea of prolonged cold, but it soon disappeared and people got carried away... still times for things to change but I think people should just enjoy this evening (if you're lucky, some have got a few inches of snow - friends of mine in other parts of NW have seen a fair bit of snow) and rest of us should wait till next few days especially Tuesday/Wednesday :)

Yup temp is falling away now.3.8C here-well lets just hope. Personally I'll believe it when I see it :)

• Like 1

Posted

I'm 1 mile too far south at the moment, I can see the edge of the shower clouds. This is horrible.

• Like 1

Posted

Snowing for two hours now..... 1-2 inches eventually..... Coming down thickly..... Temp -1c.....the showers are alinging along liverpool bay in a line across to here now â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸ So happy....

I need to move to glossop

• Like 1

Posted

I need to move to glossop

This morning they were moving north of me.... Now the winds veered slightly they are over me as the met forecast had..... Just hoping it keeps going..... If it does you can always pop over mottram!

Posted

WOW!

Heavy black cloud to my north!

Whoever is under that must be under some very heavy showers

Posted

Now a heavy grauple shower with some snowflakes mixed in, and some rain.

• Like 1