Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Can't believe the met office has no warnings out for us

how much snow have you got?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Can't believe the met office has no warnings out for us

I reckon by tomorrow there will be warnings out regarding a wider area of England/Wales for snow Monday night into Wednesday. Could be some prolonged, and at times heavy, snow around.

Posted

how much snow have you got?

ive got a couple of centimetres of slush very slippy underfoot if it freezes tonight it will be bad

Posted

Absolute tripe this country for snow.

:wallbash:

I reckon by tomorrow there will be warnings out regarding a wider area of England/Wales for snow Monday night into Wednesday. Could be some prolonged, and at times heavy, snow around.

Pigs might...............

Yep

Posted

Absolute tripe this country for snow.

:wallbash:

Pigs might...............

Yep

I understand your frustrations but the models and all forecasts I've seen go for first front of snow on Tuesday and a second front on Wednesday - this woul certainly warrant a warning by tomorrow with the cold air which will be around. Time will tell!

Temps will not be around 4oC on Monday/Tuesday, much more like 1oC struggling to recover after a severe frost on Sunday night - will be -5oC in Manchester, down to -10oC in rural sheltered locations.

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

I understand your frustrations but the models and all forecasts I've seen go for first front of snow on Tuesday and a second front on Wednesday - this woul certainly warrant a warning by tomorrow with the cold air which will be around. Time will tell!

Temps will not be around 4oC on Monday/Tuesday, much more like 1oC struggling to recover after a severe frost on Sunday night - will be -5oC in Manchester, down to -10oC in rural sheltered locations.

Yeah but its been saying that for the past week and the snow fests keep moving on to another 3 or 4 days away, by the time tues a d weds come round, it wont have happened, then it will 'oooh the weekend is looking good for a snowfest' then that doesnt materilise, then it will be spring lol, do you get me? Nobody has a y faith in the models anymore as the goalposts keep changing, nobodys fault though but relying on the models is just crazy, it has to just be nowcasting and even that can go belly up, so i understand peoples frustrations,

• Like 4

Posted

Well we have our warning for ice overnight as expected which is a good sign, I expect the warnings ( if any ;) ) for Tuesday will probably be mulled over Sunday morning and done early afternoon, unless they're feeling surprisingly confident tonight about what's going to happen... I doubt they will though!

Posted

Well we have our warning for ice overnight as expected which is a good sign, I expect the warnings ( if any ;) ) for Tuesday will probably be mulled over Sunday morning and done early afternoon, unless they're feeling surprisingly confident tonight about what's going to happen... I doubt they will though!

Agreed!

My frustration this afternoon lies with I finally have some hefty showers heading over my area and its sleety because of the higher temps. If this can continue as temps fall, in for a chance of more snowy weather - will see how next few hours progress! Tuesday looking much more interesting.

• Like 1

Posted

Gone cloudy but no precipitation. Why does this only happen when snow is a possibility lol

• Like 1

Posted

Not trusting met office weather it still says heavy snow for me all night bizarrely, my trusty old iPhone app says 40% chance of snow between 9-12 tonight sounds more realistic. So I take it as another clear frosty night for me. Not arsed tho, I'm gunna get my dogs get in the car and drive till I hit the snow tomorrow...might end up in the highlands haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

hardly begun yet, winds are mainly westerly, a huge sea track, dosent really begin until tomorrow night, snow chances tue and wed, staying cold until Atlantic moves in fri or sat

Slider low is still showing being nicely squeezed by the Azores and Scandi HP's but elevation is as ever everything Pennines will get battered.

12Z rolling out now.

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted

Some people have short memories about proper winter cold as though being of ancient times. Does anyone remember the -17C at Woodford during January 2010, (I recorded -16.5C) and a snowfall that paralysed Greater Manchester?

December 2010, one of the coldest months ever recorded for Manchester?

• Like 2

Posted

Some people have short memories about proper winter cold as though being of ancient times. Does anyone remember the -17C at Woodford during January 2010, (I recorded -16.5C) and a snowfall that paralysed Greater Manchester?

I remember getting a maximum temperature at 1pm of -11oC in 2010, which is crazy for a coastal town. For crazy snowfall we only need to go back to January, March and April of 2013.

Posted

Feb 09 for me was something special mate..

Never ever seen snowfall like it. 7 days of heavy snowfalls, wash streamers, then Atlantic fronts coming up against cold block.

Posted

I haven't had over 1cm of snow imby since 2012.

Winter 2013 missed me whilst everybody around me got it, and I couldn't even drive then to see any. IM SNOW STARVED!!!

Posted

Not trusting met office weather it still says heavy snow for me all night bizarrely, my trusty old iPhone app says 40% chance of snow between 9-12 tonight sounds more realistic. So I take it as another clear frosty night for me. Not arsed tho, I'm gunna get my dogs get in the car and drive till I hit the snow tomorrow...might end up in the highlands haha

GFS ppn charts show an area of ppn moving south in the northerly wins later, hitting NW between 9pm and midnight. Nothing too substantial tho.

I haven't had over 1cm of snow imby since 2012.

Winter 2013 missed me whilst everybody around me got it, and I couldn't even drive then to see any. IM SNOW STARVED!!!

I've been back in UK two years, after living in Australia, I am snow starved too! Nothing substantial since 2011!

Currently a load of ppn heading in from Irish sea, hope the temps can drop enough before it's arrival!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1