Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The question is why are temperatures 2 3 or even 4 degrees warmer than forecast?

They are currently veering a tad more westerly, rather than NWesterly, so the irish sea is warming this region up a bit. This should change by this evening as night draws in and winds veer more NW again, and winds will veer more Northerly during tomorrow.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Sleeting in Manchester (with flakes of snow definitely mixed in) now after a rainy/wintry mix before, temps starting to drop!

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Sleeting again and the sun is shinning. The sun does make it look like snow as you can see it blowing around

Posted

Showers turning a little more sleety here but mostly rain... shame about the temps being a little higher than expected the BBC and Met apps were both 3c lower and mostly snow for me today....no doubt sods law will be enforced later as the northerly makes it colder & less marginal but takes away the showers.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Showers

A big easterly during January, last occasion? Late January 1996. That's how long ago!

Showers finally hitting my area. A bit of sleet mixed in.

Yes, i was in the West Mids then, we had loads of small accumulations right throughout that winter but it was the 5th feb slider that i got a really big fall from.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

It's been far from over hyped its been the opposite regarding national forecasts. It's not that cold not like we used to get anyway.

I mean in the likes of the mod thread but I agree John not like the winter we used to get like 1978/1979 proper cold and snowy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Its super duper! Lol cloudy here, dry, 6 degrees

• Like 1

Posted

I mean in the likes of the mod thread but I agree John not like the winter we used to get like 1978/1979 proper cold and snowy

Agree 100% New Years day 1979. Went to watch Bolton v Everton with my dad, game got postponed at half time due to heavy, heavy snow.. Must have dropped 6 inches in about 2 hours.

Posted

I think it's just the way the climate is now, when I was a child in the 80s you never heard of marginal. It was snow Tuesday and it snowed. Now the wind has to blow NW for at least 10 hours with an air flow from the artic with a cold sea with rural hot spots to a minimal. No wonder we don't get snow any more with all the variables. I might be looking through with rose tinted but things as a child seemed more cut and dry when I followed the weather.

• Like 2

Posted

I think it's just the way the climate is now, when I was a child in the 80s you never heard of marginal. It was snow Tuesday and it snowed. Now the wind has to blow NW for at least 10 hours with an air flow from the artic with a cold sea with rural hot spots to a minimal. No wonder we don't get snow any more with all the variables. I might be looking through with rose tinted but things as a child seemed more cut and dry when I followed the weather.

everything was more cut and dried back then the good old days (sigh)
  • Like 1

Posted

Heaviest hail shower of the day has just passed over we have a covering of hail briefly.

Agree about the lack of cold, there has been a real noticable drop in the snow days here - we have never had much, but now its even less than that. Is it cyclical i don't know, are there other factors at work ..... perhaps thats a discussion for another time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It goes in cycles, the 80s was packed with Easterlies and blocking, we will get some stonking winters as get through towards a solar min, around the end of this decade is my guess for another 1947, as long as we can can get this solar min to co-incide with a -QBO and El nino, if you look what happened in the little Ice age, the weather patterns are following all the hallmarks of that.

• Like 2

Posted

Its rubbish what can I say overhyped as usual

Please just wait and be patient, these posts are so frustrating, its day 1! Today temps have been unexpectedly a tad higher (altho falling now) due to the slightly more westerly component to wind. Next couple of days will be colder, still some showers around, but real fun & games will be Monday night through to Wednesday. I'm not saying it will be an 80's style snowfest, but snow prospects will improve. Whilst I understand the negativity to a degree, you can't write off a cold spell on the first day with a good 4 or 5 days remaining - this applies to the last 5 posts tbh.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 2

Posted

I think it's just the way the climate is now, when I was a child in the 80s you never heard of marginal. It was snow Tuesday and it snowed.

...plus now we have platforms and means to share our thoughts and talk something to the point of exhaustion with moods and anticipation heightened well in advance...you can inadvertently get swept along with the euphoria...

Yes some of those winters in the 80's I fondly remember...

Edited by dodgeredee