Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Showers not getting here at all, clouds out west.... Apart from flakes in the breeze thats all.... Still have covering here from last night.... 0c dew -1c off out to go clean and then view a couple of houses.... Hopefully better later on? â„ï¸â„ï¸

• Like 1

Posted

So weird watching the radar, the showers hit Denton and then disappear. If only summers were like that here, it would always be sunny!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Nothing much happening here. Blue skies and the odd grey cloud

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday just before sunset, it looked good, just had a heavy wintry shower of hail and snow that left a slight covering. Just needed the showers to keep coming through which unfortunately they didn't. Today, showers are still skirting here to the north but by the looks of it they are not especially wintry anyway at low levels.

Unless things change to favour more snow at low levels, I think most low lying areas are going to be disappointed, some places were even reporting rain at dawn this morning.

See what it is like tomorrow morning but I am not expecting to see a snow cover and I'm not especially confident about Tuesday/Wednesday neither. I get the feeling this is going to go belly up as well.

So at the moment, disappointing considering it looked promising.

• Like 1

Posted

What met office have for here is that the winds change direction from 3pm then we get showers trailing over oldham saddleworth mossley and here! We shall see....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well this is the Northwest of England, aka topographically inept when it comes to delivering desired weather (of any kind). 

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks kev, I'll listen to your experienced weather knowledge and keep my feet firmly on the ground over the next few days!

Just wondering what numbers the Manchester winter index so far?

Posted

Thanks kev, I'll listen to your experienced weather knowledge and keep my feet firmly on the ground over the next few days!

Just wondering what numbers the Manchester winter index so far?

It was just above 20 just after New Year, so I need to update it after recent snow reports and frosts but there is a problem, it's based on my location and the field behind me is what I use to determine snow cover under Met Office rules as it's fully exposed to any sunshine. It was covered for 5 days and I know most of Manchester had zero snow cover during that period! So my index is probably higher than say your location to the east of Manchester.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah... I've had no settling snow, but I have had several frosts and quite a lot of days with wintry showers. Would love settling snow. But all in all I have enjoyed this winter. And isn't it something silly in this country where it's more common to get snow at Easter then Christmas?

LOADS OF TIME LEFT! :)

Posted

It was just above 20 just after New Year, so I need to update it after recent snow reports and frosts but there is a problem, it's based on my location and the field behind me is what I use to determine snow cover under Met Office rules as it's fully exposed to any sunshine. It was covered for 5 days and I know most of Manchester had zero snow cover during that period! So my index is probably higher than say your location to the east of Manchester.

35 up to yesterday which is not brilliant but better than a good past few winters total values and we are only half way with the index to increase for at the least next few days.

Last winter was just 7! How bad was that "winter"?!

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted

Reading through the posts, seems Summerseat is just high enough and in the right place to catch southern edge of the showers. Mixture of hail and snow on and off since 6.30 with some thunder snow. 2 yr old enjoyed his first ever snow (we didn't get enough to play in Boxing Day night). Snowman and lots of snowballs.

Must be more up in rossendale but no complaints here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

In the middle of a heavy snow shower right now, big fluffy flakes but not sticking. Don't think I'll see a covering today unless the temp drops later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We seem to be missing out here completely. Even snowing down south now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Reading through the posts, seems Summerseat is just high enough and in the right place to catch southern edge of the showers. Mixture of hail and snow on and off since 6.30 with some thunder snow. 2 yr old enjoyed his first ever snow (we didn't get enough to play in Boxing Day night). Snowman and lots of snowballs.

Must be more up in rossendale but no complaints here.

A couple of inches of snow up here in Bacup.

Off to Bury again now and then to Turf Moor, providing the game is still on.

I'd expect that the roads down the valley towards Bury will be ok but the moorland trip from Bacup to Burnley could be a bit of a challenge, especially if more showers arrive.

Posted

A couple of inches of snow up here in Bacup.

Off to Bury again now and then to Turf Moor, providing the game is still on.

I'd expect that the roads down the valley towards Bury will be ok but the moorland trip from Bacup to Burnley could be a bit of a challenge, especially if more showers arrive.

my daughters going on turf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

my daughters going on turf

A decision will be made at noon apparently.

Pitch is ok but if the surrounding roads are bad they may call it off but unless it snows hard in the next hour or so I'd be surprised if its postboned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

A decision will be made at noon apparently.

Pitch is ok but if the surrounding roads are bad they may call it off but unless it snows hard in the next hour or so I'd be surprised if its postboned.

Can confirm the surrounding roads are bloody terrible. Especially the M65. Did overtake a few fan buses on the way home though. Will wait and see!