Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It absolutely amazes me when people talk of 60mph winds as if they are just a little breeze. I can clearly tell those who say 60mph winds are nothing, have clearly never experience 60mph gusts/winds. I'm amazed why people over exaggerate wind speeds.. it becomes hard to walk against the wind when it is blowing at 35mph.. now if that's the case then 60mph is a different game all together. At 70mph, the wind has the potential to knock you clean off your feet.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 2

It absolutely amazes me when people talk of 60mph winds as if they are just a little breeze. I can clearly tell those who say 60mph winds are nothing, have clearly never experience 60mph gusts/winds. I'm amazed why people over exaggerate wind speeds.. it becomes hard to walk against the wind when it is blowing at 35mph.. now if that's the case then 60mph is a different game all together. At 70mph, the wind has the potential to knock you clean off your feet.

Aye, but we are talking gusts, not continous speeds.

I was at the top of Mam Tor in continous 80mph winds, it blew me over, that was bad.

50-60mph gusts? Meh..usually just brings the saying "Bloody heck, that was quite strong" then carry on with your day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

gusts are just as bad in my opinion because they're volatile.. both scenarios are bad in their own right though. I have come into trouble before, due to big winds but fortunately I was only blown onto grass. Never had anything too extreme happen, though I might go for a walk down to the cliffs tonight to experience it.

gusts are just as bad in my opinion because they're volatile.. both scenarios are bad in their own right though. I have come into trouble before, due to big winds but fortunately I was only blown onto grass. Never had anything too extreme happen, though I might go for a walk down to the cliffs tonight to experience it.

Just don't go too close to the edge Mr. Prudence !

Posted

Just don't go too close to the edge Mr. Prudence !

It's ok the wind will be blowing inland, so I'm not in any danger.

Posted

Gone very overcast and gone colder and the wind has picked up too

Posted

yes wind is picking up here, gusting to around 20mph. Picking up rapidly though.. no rain yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Gone very overcast here in prenton and the trees are starting to wave around a little more

Posted

Julie, a great place to experience storms is Oldfield Road in Heswall.. you will not find a windier place in Wirral (not even New Brighton/West Kirby).. it's exposed, on the coast, and high up. I have stood there in the past and nearly been taken on my feet a few times in normal storms.

• Like 1

Posted

i don't think so according to these:

prectypeuktopo.png

GFS^^

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

GFSP ^^

Quite a opposite in fact. :smile:  I think everything is possible next week TBH.

:cold: :cold:

The reason why I keep posting this to keep us hoping that snow is on the way. I know its not going to happen but its like having a lottery ticket from the shop just waiting to match it by the time nears.

Blimey even in what looks like a great set up, im down for rain in all of those charts

Posted

gusts increasing to 32mph now. Picking up nicely.

Blimey even in what looks like a great set up, im down for rain in all of those charts

It's the way the chart is, it wouldn't be rain .. lok at Norway for example, do we think it'll be rain in inland Norway? It's just the the way it is, those blue and green zones should be red.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Julie, a great place to experience storms is Oldfield Road in Heswall.. you will not find a windier place in Wirral (not even New Brighton/West Kirby).. it's exposed, on the coast, and high up. I have stood there in the past and nearly been taken on my feet a few times in normal storms.

Will have to try it - lol.  Looks like I'm in for a sleepless night - Our houses faces the sea and theres nothing in between.  We have thought the windows would come in before now !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the 12z, This band of stormy rain due later could well turn to snow on the back edge during the night depending on the colder air digging in behind the warm front possibly giving blizzard conditions to those in favourable areas which are those at elevation over towards the Pennines.. Like me :D

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2015011406/gfsnh-2-24.png?6

Next Wednesday looks glorious too.

• Like 2

Posted

Will have to try it - lol.  Looks like I'm in for a sleepless night - Our houses faces the sea and theres nothing in between.  We have thought the windows would come in before now !!

It;s amazing how you can stand by Thurstaston vistor centre and be relative calm, then go by the cliffs and be blown off your feet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Nice to see my fellow Merseysider's taking over the thread. :-)

Not that windy here yet, think I could be in an interesting place tonight. May go down to Crosby beach in the morning although it maybe a bit too late then. I'll just go and check the tides. The moon is at the last quarter so probably nearly a neep tide around 4 PM I reckon.

Well not too far off. High tide is 6:23 PM at 7.4 m so not very high. Still probably will reach the sea-wall with the wind.

Edited by Chris R
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Monday ^^

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

snowplow3.jpg

cjsjg5564wwjvawzyi5p.jpg

Next Wednesday. ^^

This is on the latest 12z GFS.  Both Monday and Wednesday going to be a whiteout if this verifies. I think this is difinately one of the top 10 weather charts of the year for coldies!! :smile:  :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

I quit posting charts for now until tomorrow just in case if the models upgrading snow potential for us by then.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 4

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Monday ^^

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Next Wednesday. ^^

This is on the latest 12z GFS.  Both Monday and Wednesday going to be a whiteout if this verifies. I think this is difinately one of the top 10 weather charts of the year for coldies!! :smile:  :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

Can I bank that please I'd see some great snowfall from that

• Like 1

Posted

Some fantastic charts on offer from the 12z's.. Not going to ramp until I see it falling from the sky..

On another note, what's happened to the poster who went by the name sceptical? Think he was from the ribble valley area ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Some fantastic charts on offer from the 12z's.. Not going to ramp until I see it falling from the sky..

On another note, what's happened to the poster who went by the name sceptical? Think he was from the ribble valley area ?

a quick scout about suggests the name is now uv-ray. Last active in march
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Cheers for that...

no worries