Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm 14th - 15th January

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

This squal line is insane! Woo hoo

Oh well, I'm going to have to stay up now with no sleep.....just can't risk missing something potentially good in the severe weather department, especially squall lines.

Had a lively gust a few minutes ago that woke my 2 year old dog up......she barked extremely loud 'once'....... then nodded back off dreaming of tomorrow's grub  :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Just been outside, nothing here, hardly any wind and the rain has passed, it didn't get that heavy really, seen a lot worse in a bog standard rainy day. A bit of a none event

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather

The power is out! :laugh:

attachicon.gifWP_20150115_00_40_49_Pro.j

saw lots of power flashes in your direction driving back from blandford to poole. thought it was lightning at first but was to constant

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Just been outside, nothing here, hardly any wind and the rain has passed, it didn't get that heavy really, seen a lot worse in a bog standard rainy day. A bit of a none event

Same here, just a little gusty and some steady rain. The post Christmas storm was far more powerful, but I don't mind because snow is on the menu next week. ;):cold:

• Like 2

Posted

Same here, just a little gusty and some steady rain. The post Christmas storm was far more powerful, but I don't mind because snow is on the menu next week. ;):cold:

The winds haven't peaked here yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I'm going to sit on the fence on that one for now until it happens :unknw:

Posted

The winds haven't peaked here yet.

:doh: When is the peak arriving in London?

I'm going to sit on the fence on that one for now until it happens :unknw:

I should have added an allegedly to save my butt just in case it all goes pear shaped! :ninja:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Oh well, I'm going to have to stay up now with no sleep.....just can't risk missing something potentially good in the severe weather department, especially squall lines.

Had a lively gust a few minutes ago that woke my 2 year old dog up......she barked extremely loud 'once'....... then nodded back off dreaming of tomorrow's grub  :laugh:

I'll be going bed early tomorrow night, it was fun...the storm overall for me in exeter was pretty good, I think we had gust of 68mph, it wasn't as strong as a couple storms we had last year but still interesting and the worst so far this year

Posted

:doh: When is the peak arriving in London?

I should have added an allegedly to save my butt just in case it all goes pear shaped! :ninja:

Round about 3am-ish, according to the MET. The squall lines still look a reasonable while away yet, so if they do make it as far as London, might be a bit later?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather

a trampoline has appeared in my neighbors front garden lol must have been a strong gust to have lifted that

• Like 1

Posted

Certainly blowy out there. A couple of house shaking gusts with the wind squealing through the cracks in the house. Lights keep flickering too.

Would stay awake for the passage of the squall but I will probably fall asleep by then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wind really blowing now and the squalls are not even here yet, Looks to be 2 Squalls on radar now. :(

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Wind really blowing now and the squalls are not even here yet, Looks to be 2 Squalls on radar now. :(

Yeah, it kind of broke up, and then reformed.

Wind's definitely picked up here now, but no squealing windows yet!

American NWS tweeting about the storm:

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/555512499760795648

Confirmed hurricane-force wind west of Ireland:

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/555513433526128641

Hope you all stay safe there, I'm sure that not all of you will get very strong winds but it does look nasty for some.

American NWS tweeting about the storm:

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/555512499760795648

Confirmed hurricane-force wind west of Ireland:

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/555513433526128641

Hope you all stay safe there, I'm sure that not all of you will get very strong winds but it does look nasty for some.

When the term "hurricane force" is referred to here, what definition are we using?

The NWS/NOAA employs the following criteria: minimum 64kt, sustained/averaged over one minute (in the Atlantic basin)

In other oceanic areas covered by weather services of other nations, a more common standard is a minimum 64kt average, sustained over 10 minutes.

The Beaufort scale is also used, but this confuses the issue somewhat - as "hurricane force 12"can mean either 64kt averaged over 10 minutes, or as referred in the "Weather Observer's Handbook", minimum of 64kt sustained/averaged over 1 hour.

Clearly, winds of 64kt winds sustained over one hour is a very different ball of wax compared to 64kt over 1 minute.

Just curious!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

I am no weather expert by a long way but I do enjoy visiting this forum and reading everyones posts. I believe the squall line has just passed (or is in the process of) passing through here (Northants) and its the first one I've ever seen (knowingly), amazing rainfall and wind, never seen anything like it in recent times - I recorded it on my smart phone. I would have gone to bed if I'd not seen on here the mention of the line tracking eastword, so thank you very much. PS it seems my Garmin was on the money as well as the storm alarm went off 30mins or so before it hit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Its worth staying up for, it is roaring here, strongest gusts all night - just hoping the garden holds together! You definately would not want to be out in it in any shape or form.

Posted

i think its actually into NW london

Could be. I'm looking at the Netweather radar, so it's always about 15 mins behind. I'm just outside the City so it'll be a bit longer before it gets to me.

Posted

Could be. I'm looking at the Netweather radar, so it's always about 15 mins behind. I'm just outside the City so it'll be a bit longer before it gets to me.

Yup absolutely howling tv is signal is breaking up

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted

I reckon that squall line should hit London by about 4am. Definitely hitting the sack after it's passed!

Thanks Hirudine, things have got a little worse here but nothing too bad. On my 3rd Snickers Bar waiting for the squall to arrive, finding it hard to stay awake after waiting all last night for snow which didn't arrive. :nonono:  Might go out in my pyjamas, that should wake me up. :cold:  The rain has got a little heavier. :lazy: