Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm 14th - 15th January

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

61mph gust the highest since the anemometer was installed on the roof in 2013.

Higher than last winter's storm when gusts were topping 90 mph on Aber(ystwyth) front ?

Posted

Railways are starting to suffer. Safety checks at Watford Junction, flooding in Wales. Could be a bad commute in the morning for some.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Higher than last winter's storm when gusts were topping 90 mph on Aber(ystwyth) front ?

Yes here by 1mph, not sure about those Aber speeds as far as I know no WS on the prom!

93mph gust Capel Curig and 81mph Mumbles

Edited by TonyH

Posted

I walked back to a mates house, it's horrendous! The power is going off & on, so a candle is at the ready. Crazy when you think what they had in Scotland last week?!

Im enjoying it, but stay safe!

Is that u cliffy? :)

• Like 1

Posted

Squall line about to arrive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

MetO rainfall radar seems to be shaping up the squall line into a pretty short, sharp affair now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

MetO rainfall radar seems to be shaping up the squall line into a pretty short, sharp affair now?

Indeed G-W, rainfall looking intense but relatively short-lived certainly for our region, if not quite so further north and south. Quite gusty even here in benign Huddersfield town, I do miss the drama of being on top of the hill, a set up like this usually resulted in a right good blow !

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Is squall line the final line to the west of wales with red/ white intersperced??

yes lsf,it will liven the winds just ahead of its arrival.( potential for tornadic activity,thunder,hail etc)

Posted

Winds just started to pick up here, and rain just started, going to be a long night plenty of weather action, and model as well.

last storm here had a max gust of 38mph and that was shaking the house, so if we get anywhere near the 50mph or above then its gonner get a bit wild out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

The low pressure is definitely further south than programmed by the models, so expect tomorrow pm's severe gales to be further south to. North Wales, the north midlands into Lincolnshire and Norfolk more likely to bear the brunt as it exits into the North Sea. Lots of nowcasting......

Gusty in Suffolk now.... here's hoping the gales blow down my neighbour's conifers that are over-grown and blocking all light into my garden. lol

Mammatus

Posted

How long is it likely to last? 5/10 minutes??

10 minutes for most,looking at the bbc graphics it seems to 'bulk out' a little as it works its way into SE England between 5 and 6am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Indeed G-W, rainfall looking intense but relatively short-lived certainly for our region, if not quite so further north and south. Quite gusty even here in benign Huddersfield town, I do miss the drama of being on top of the hill, a set up like this usually resulted in a right good blow !

didn't know you's abandoned the heights? Still getting pretty gusty ( Why did i put so many wind chimes out there???)

• Like 1

Posted

10 minutes for most,looking at the bbc graphics it seems to 'bulk out' a little as it works its way into SE England between 5 and 6am.

Thanks jimbo.....stay safe! And no going off to local "car parks" to "photograph the gusts" ;-)

• Like 2

Posted

It's really not very stormy at all here. Max gust F9 and very light rain. Obviously quite windy but nothing like the forecast.

post-4501-0-18930300-1421279805_thumb.pn

Edited by Chief Wiggam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

It's really not very stormy at all here. Max gust F9 and very light rain. Obviously quite windy but nothing like the forecast.

I live in Seaview too and it's been progressively getting worse from about 9. I think we will start to really notice it in the next hour or so. Hasn't peaked yet here.

Also I think the rains pretty heavy judging by the sound its making on my windows lol

Edited by Nick123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

First noticable gusts of the night here in Leicester, later could be the windiest I've ever experienced in the very un-windy city

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Longest squall line Ive ever seen http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Wow that's pretty impressive! Can't wait for that to pass over me! Will need coffee though as probably won't be for a few hours :-p

• Like 1

Posted

93mph been recorded in NW Wales

attachicon.gifimage.jpgl

Squall line adding 10-20mph potentially... could be disruptive

Not unusual for Capel Curig though :)

Through here now, 10 minutes torrential rain and 55mph gusts on the line temp peaked 9.9c a contrast to the snowy -2.7c this morning.

Almost 25mm from the event.