Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm 14th - 15th January

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Front door making strange noises, either the winds picking up or im about to be burgled !

You need to use double cardboard and use proper masking tape, not sellotape.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Expecting some nasty gusts between now and 1am.

and again tomorrow early evening for you, in the second swathe

Posted

and again tomorrow early evening for you, in the second swathe

Didn't know there was a second batch of winds, will get myself swatted up - thanks Jo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Pressure here in Worcester is still falling quite quickly, currently at 987.8 with light rain. 15 minutes ago my weather station recorded a gust of 27.8 mph so we will see what the night brings... Stay safe everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

It's quite windy here in Exeter and the worst is meant to be just before 12 so maybe an hour or two after for you? I'm staying up til the squal line passes as that's when the strongest wind will be I skould imagine

Yes wind is building here for sure. Worst of it like you say probably between 1-3 here. Expecting winds of 70mph - apparently could be higher but I'm on the East side of the island so maybe not. Do you think the squall line is too far north to reach us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Could be some very strong winds & gusts associated with the squall line currently moving over Ireland, looks like it'll hit between Wales and up towards Scotland.

post-9615-0-18842800-1421269017_thumb.pn

Posted

Is that low further south compared to what was forecasted! ! Even when i look at it on xc weather the projection was for it to be further north and west compared to where it is now! !

Posted

81mph gust recently Capel Curig, 55mph here.

I'd advise caution when getting excited about a Capel Curig observations. I don't know precisely where the weather station is, but the village is halfway up a mountain with pretty much a wind tunnel leading it to the Irish Sea. 100mph+ observations are normal for an Atlantic storm there, even if the surrounding civilisation only picks up 65.

Source: grew up round those parts

Edited by Davethedog

Posted

been rattle front door and our veranda for a bit.  Noticable east coast from donna nook to whitby been getting 20-40 gusts.  We had it start up 5 pm its just slowly winding up strongest 32 mph here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Heavy rain now, changed from snow about an hour and a half ago. Already have reports of flooding in the town, definitely more of that to come. :)

Posted

Yes wind is building here for sure. Worst of it like you say probably between 1-3 here. Expecting winds of 70mph - apparently could be higher but I'm on the East side of the island so maybe not. Do you think the squall line is too far north to reach us?

I wondered that too - the organised structure of it is over mainland Ireland at the mo, although it occurred to me that maybe the radar range may not extend that far off the southern Irish coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

I wondered that too - the organised structure of it is over mainland Ireland at the mo, although it occurred to me that maybe the radar range may not extend that far off the southern Irish coast.

Ah yes that's true! I hope we do get it. And I suppose it might not be the only squall line of the night anyway...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I'd advise caution when getting excited about a Capel Curig observations. I don't know precisely where the weather station is, but the village is halfway up a mountain with pretty much a wind tunnel leading it to the Irish Sea. 100mph+ observations are normal for an Atlantic storm there, even if the surrounding civilisation only picks up 65.

Yes it is an exposed location as I am well aware, it is in Snowdonia winds funnel strongest from the SW as that is the steep sided valleys alignment. Its in a valley not half way up a mountain at just 216masl, and is about 15 miles from the coast.

I was just posting for info rather than trying to say how bad the storm was :)

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Lol, i live in a boat community village - great way of life but you have to be tough.

Lovely boat by the way :)

ah, I know where you are now, I was down there 4 years ago, just after the thick ice of 2010, I have moved to a fairly sheltered spot for todays winds, also not too far from shops/water etc incase it really does freeze from the weekend onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

From the NMM-4 A lot of the country getting some real high winds , exiting tomorrow from Scotland and Southern/SouthEast England...

post-6830-0-31066700-1421269401_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-54999900-1421269447_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-91861300-1421269506_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-63778600-1421269559_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-52965100-1421269606_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-75100800-1421269650_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Just had a phone call from my Mum saying a ridge tiles been blown off and smashed on the patio, must have been weakened by the last storm as the winds only been gusting to 60mph, told her stronger winds are forecast tomorrow! Not a happy woman! 

Posted

100mph are in fact still unusual even for exposed Welsh stations.

Latest max gust 87mph Capel Curig.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Wind definitely picking up now. I wonder if that squall will make it as far east as me.