Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm 14th - 15th January

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Regional threads are probably where you should be posting about snow in your local area. :)

Please continue to discuss the Atlantic Storm headed our way Wed/Thur.

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 4

Posted

The predicted windspeeds for Weds/Thurs for southern England may have dropped somewhat, but given that it's a fairly swiftly-moving cold front (as opposed to the lively sector south of the low pressure area), I would've thought straight-line gusts would easily add 10-15 mph?

• Like 1

Posted

The predicted windspeeds for Weds/Thurs for southern England may have dropped somewhat, but given that it's a fairly swiftly-moving cold front (as opposed to the lively sector south of the low pressure area), I would've thought straight-line gusts would easily add 10-15 mph?

where did you see this info saying wind speeds have dropped?

Posted

Hi Guys! New here but known to Met Monkey....hi to Sunnijm and EML!! Hope all is well! Live in Brighton....interested in forecast gales for my area as have scaffolding on my wall and roof.....wanna know how safe it is in this weather......creaks a bit on winds over 25mph :cc_confused:

Posted

where did you see this info saying wind speeds have dropped?

If you've followed the GFS, GFSP and the ECM over the last week, and particularly the last few days, predicted inland gusts have gone from 75 to 60 or so.

Posted

If you've followed the GFS, GFSP and the ECM over the last week, and particularly the last few days, predicted inland gusts have gone from 75 to 60 or so.

i have been and if anything they have gone up slightly. they were showing hampshire to kent as slightly less but over the past 2 days have increased by around 10 mph at the peak of the storm. anyway thats the estimated max gust. it will be affected by local conditions at the time so many places could see higher gusts if the storm lands as predicted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

has this storm downgraded in severity from yesterday for northern ireland?

Not really, still looks severe.

Posted

Hi Guys! New here but known to Met Monkey....hi to Sunnijm and EML!! Hope all is well! Live in Brighton....interested in forecast gales for my area as have scaffolding on my wall and roof.....wanna know how safe it is in this weather......creaks a bit on winds over 25mph :cc_confused:

Welcome to the forum - you're looking at gusts of 60mph+ in Brighton based on the latest runs. 

post-2-0-57295400-1421156936_thumb.png

For a quick snapshot of your max gusts locally during the next 5 days, the will it be windy feature is handy:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wind;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

how severe is it looking for south yorkshire, or are we going to be lucky and it miss me completely haha :)

Posted

Met Office iPhone app has Brighton down currently for max gust 74mph, 3am Thursday morning. Pretty sizeable gusts.

Posted

Regional threads are probably where you should be posting about snow in your local area. :)

Please continue to discuss the Atlantic Storm headed our way Wed/Thur.

To be fair Liam the thread title I notice has only just recently changed from January storms to 14/15 January and the reports were about focused on thunder rather than the snow element.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hello bud! I know you ;-)

Gonna be a rough ride tomorrow night, for those of us on the south coast! Paul summed it up in his reply. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Bbc weather forecast at 130 was weird. Didn't make much of the Storm at all. I have to say I haven't been impressed with their forecasts so far this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Met Office iPhone app has Brighton down currently for max gust 74mph, 3am Thursday morning. Pretty sizeable gusts.

Wow that's quite a jump from what Netweather are forecasting for you which is 61mph!  In Exeter is 66mph from Netweather but only 55mph from Met Office.  In my experience Met Office are really awful at predicting wind gusts though expecially for Exeter and they are based here which is the scary thing! 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 1

Posted

has this storm downgraded in severity from yesterday for northern ireland?

Nope, however, Geoff you live in Bangor, so will be sheltered from the worst of it by the Strangford peninsula. Kilkeel/Newcastle will be the worst of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

nmmuk3hrprecip.pnghas been mentioned before but want to point out this to me looks like a squall line of some sort on the high res... This can increase winds dramatically as most are aware.

It doesn't show up on the 3KM higher res model, nor the euro 4. I expect it is down to an area of strong vorticity, increasing rain rates within the cold front.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Hello old friend! A very interesting system this,on face value inland gusts of 60mph and coastal 70mph is the sort of winter storm we see a couple of times most winters,the difference here is it is rapidly deepening still as it rushes in to the NW of Ireland.As we know many lows spawning these sorts of winds are filling as they cross our shores,therefore a 943mb system throwing a cold front East on Wednesday night has the POTENTIAL to inflict something stronger locally than 60 or 70mph. Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 2