Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storm 14th - 15th January

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm at work, can anyone post the GFSP wind gust charts from the 6z please? From Wednesday night onwards, ta much. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well the Storm has been downgrading ever so slightly with each run, it'll still be very windy but nothing exceptional.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I've seen enough now not to worry about this down this way. 

Lost count of the number of times a chart has offered up 70-80 Mph gusts 3 or 4 days before an ''event'' only for it to be watered down run after run in the days leading up, ending up with something that isn't even out of the ordinary. 

So IMBY and I am only talking from experience of this particular part of the world (S Coast from lets say Bognor through to Hastings) and the SE Chunk of the UK covering Sussex, Surrey, Kent and London ...

I very much doubt that anywhere in that area will see a gust of more than 70 Mph . 

I was running along the coast here on Saturday morning and I can tell you that it was gusting a good 65 Mph , there was no warning for that and I can't see this being any worse. 

It's laughable sometimes. 

Just my take on it and before anyone starts posting charts, I care not what charts say, it's what you experience on the ground that matters, I'm not going to experience a computer chart am I ?

It's Northern Ireland,  NW England , SW England and Scotland that are going to get the brunt of this (as per usual)... Not often you'll see a 943 Mb Fax chart Low.

The strongest winds in the South are only going to be for a period of a few hours as well and overnight so most people won't even know it's happened. 

fax48s_gif_1.gif

I agree with most of what you say here EML,my one proviso on this occasion would be that the storm is a rapidly deepening feature as it hits our shores at midnight Thursday (943mb) on the fax charts.This historicaly has given winds speeds some added bite,so for once i am half expecting somthing more dramatic gust wise.On so many occasions 70mph gusts are the the result of a filling low as it crosses the UK,but this baby certainly has some far more interesting ingrediants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I agree with most of what you say here EML,my one proviso on this occasion would be that the storm is a rapidly deepening feature as it hits our shores at midnight Thursday (943mb) on the fax charts.This historicaly has given winds speeds some added bite,so for once i am half expecting somthing more dramatic gust wise.On so many occasions 70mph gusts are the the result of a filling low as it crosses the UK,but this baby certainly has some far more interesting ingrediants.

I agree, very good point, should be interesting for sure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Met office took the low down to sub 945mb on the latest updated FAX, which is roughly what the GFSP has been showing for many days now. This could be quite interesting, you don't see a 943mb depression very often over the UK, not to be underestimated by any means.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The gust speeds the MO haven't changed for my location. 66mph is still more than a lot of wind events last year. 70mph will be breached, probably 80mph as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

post-3933-0-43739300-1421146844_thumb.pn

One of the GFSP charts.

B.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

I can't believe people are writing this off already! Even the professionals arent confident yet, they're barely prepared to give anything anyway on most broadcasts I've seen. I'm expecting this

Storm to be pretty severe, especially imby but even inland.

Edited by Nick123

Im not writing it off :) , i hope im really very wrong and get eggs thrown at my face but i just have a feeling imby and surrounding areas might only end up seeing 50 mph. And that will not be enough to float my boat, i was never expecting 1987 but hoped for gusts of 80-90 mph, in my back yard or maybe close by.

Edited by mickeyb44

Posted

Wasn't having a go mate, just I reckon all the background signals are pointing to something quite severe here I don't think we should underestimate it until we see a significant downgrade. Sure run by run it will change, but we should wait till nearer the time before we judge it as 'just another winter storm'

Posted

I wouldn't bet against an amber warning Mickey. Maybe more especially places on the Coast but maybe even places more inland.

Maybe more likely for an Amber is Northern Ireland based on latest outputs.

Edited by Nick123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

The storm will do what ever it wants to do, you can not totally predict mother nature and what she chooses to throw at the UK. I am sure the appropriate warnings for ALL areas will go out when needed. I live south facing on the IOW, we can get it pretty bad here, when the storm arrives and passes only then we shall see the full impact of what she has delivered to our shores.

Edited by Cyclonic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

15011406_1306.gif

Erm...

Funny you should say that, from a glistening start, the sky has gone that dull grey colour in the last half hour and I think it could start precipitating shortly, of what variety I am not sure yet.

Im hoping on the cheif forecasters latest comment:

"The exact track of this system is still open to some uncertainty, as is the location of the strongest windsand it is likely that this warning will be reviewed in the coming days to fine tune the areas at risk from the impacts"

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Downgrade again on this mornings run. MMmmmm