Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Stormy Period Inbound...

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

why ??? The extreme  S.E seems to have just as cold uppers as the rest of the u.k on this evidence. tell me if im wrong !.

Suggest you refer to SM's subsequent explanatory post.  Suffice to say exposure to wind coming off the sea as opposed to off the land at this time of year has a marked effect on surface temps

• Like 1

Posted

Probably posting this in the wrong area so apologies and please move if required, not really a regional question as I am talking cross regions.

I live in Croydon but my mum is currently very unwell in Hospital in Cheltenham.Been up and down the motorway over the last couple of weeks but I am really getting worried as to whether any snow in the next couple of days would be an issue if I had to get there. Where would be the best place to look for any details (from a very practical view rather than a weather enthusiasts) sorry again if wrong place but many thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Does that include South East as well?

Yes, the south has missed out so far but it looks like all that will change and most of the UK looks on course for our best wintry spell for a few years, having the met office on board is the biggest reason for positive vibes tonight. :-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

think I will refrain from opening the Stella's at the moment frosty. Still outside the reliable timeframe at mo. But as u say looks good. But until I see these charts at t48 I'm going to remain cautious. As I've seen it go wrong so many times. My philosophy with the gfs ECM ukmo is expect nothing and hopefully they move into reality.

Yes terrier but things are looking very promising, I'm sure many on here will agree with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Gfs gives a goodbye to cold, At T+240  Ecm refuses to let the cold go.......

post-6830-0-06651700-1421183187_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-88748600-1421183263_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

De Bilt Ensembles, op one of  the warmest runs next Tues/Wed, control goes into the freezer for a while.

pluim_06260_0_12_60.png

Edited by ukpaul

Posted

Probably posting this in the wrong area so apologies and please move if required, not really a regional question as I am talking cross regions.

I live in Croydon but my mum is currently very unwell in Hospital in Cheltenham.Been up and down the motorway over the last couple of weeks but I am really getting worried as to whether any snow in the next couple of days would be an issue if I had to get there. Where would be the best place to look for any details (from a very practical view rather than a weather enthusiasts) sorry again if wrong place but many thanks.

Is this any help. But also the AA are very good.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Wind&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.51&lat=55.50&fcTime=1421107200

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

check out the Highways Agency website, or the AA/RAC sites........IMO travelling from Croydon to Cheltenham should be ok, but if traveling early tomorrow I'd avoid the A417 Swindon-Cheltenham link and stick to the M5/M4......The A417 near Birdlip could be very tricky (it's around 1000ft and notoriously bad in any snowy weather)

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 2

Posted

Looks like theres going to be a huge improvement for the ski resorts across Europe with either the ECM or GFS P. Indeed across much of central western mainland Europe it looks like the heaviest snow of the winter so far.

Blimey, the 12z GFSP is a thing of beauty in the frames we have. Not quite on a par with the 6z but almost.

Exciting times! Let's hope it holds. Reminds me of 78/9.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Seen most the gfs (p) 12z on the meteociel app, it is a thing of beauty, especially the easterly around the 21st :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

check out the Highways Agency website, or the AA/RAC sites........IMO travelling from Croydon to Cheltenham should be ok, but if traveling early tomorrow I'd avoid the A417 Swindon-Cheltenham link and stick to the M5/M4......The A417 near Birdlip could be very tricky (it's around 1000ft and notoriously bad in any snowy weather)

I remember cars skidding in snow near the Air Balloon Pub on a visit to Gloucester a few years back.

Posted

Taking a view beyond this weekend and looking as usual at the anomaly charts. What do they seem to have in store.

my notes below and the usual links below that.

Noaa

6-10 shows an interesting development to ne=couple more runs needed and possibly by Friday to see it starting to show on the 8-14 for any reality though? Also the –ve area showing, not large but coupled with the +ve to the ne does suggest a fairly marked change.

8-14 as is often the case not showing either but the flow eastern atlantic/uk/Europe is decreasing with still some of trough into Europe, so a case of wait and see.

The 6-10 is quite like the EC output this morning-again this was a 1st such idea from EC as well.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

The latest GFS MJO gives no suggestion of this type of 500mb pattern it has to be said.

So we watch and wait to see if the anomaly charts remain with increasing consistency for what the 6-10 and ECMWF show currently.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Taking a view beyond this weekend and looking as usual at the anomaly charts. What do they seem to have in store.

my notes below and the usual links below that.

Noaa

6-10 shows an interesting development to ne=couple more runs needed and possibly by Friday to see it starting to show on the 8-14 for any reality though? Also the –ve area showing, not large bu coupled with the +ve to the ne does suggest a fairly marked change.

8-14 as is often the case not showing either but the flow eastern atlantic/uk/Europe is decreasing with still some of trough into Europe, so a case of wait and see.

The 6-10 is quite like the EC output this morning-again this was a 1st such idea from EC as well.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

The latest GFS MJO gives no suggestion of this type of 500mb pattern it has to be said.

So we watch and wait to see if the anomaly charts remain with increasing consistency for what the 6-10 and ECMWF show currently.

John, I'm not an expert at all on these charts so apologies if this is a stupid question, but would the marked change you mention include the possibility of an Easterly flow setting up?

Posted

John, I'm not an expert at all on these charts so apologies if this is a stupid question, but would the marked change you mention include the possibility of an Easterly flow setting up?

It could but it would depend on just where the upper features settled as to it, the big IF that idea is correct, whether the surface flow was NE or more E'ly.

• Like 1