Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Stormy Period Inbound...

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

They all look very different? Not sure I get your point. 

Are you still referring to the shortwave/low?

You would need to look at a much earlier time-frame as there so many other developments that impact upon the pattern before day 8.

Happy to discuss it further in PM though.  :smile:

Not to worry Mucka but the short wave low by D4 is already in Africa or the Bay of Biscay region so I would not thought that at D4 the upstream would be the trigger as they are pretty much the same (GEFS). I was suggesting that with that low further north it acts as a gateway for the Atlantic sliders to slide SE, where as when the low goes to Africa it allows the Azores to ridge within the phasing of the Atlantic slider. The charts I posted (Bay of Biscay SW) all showed at D8 relatively colder potential than the op and control who sent the short wave to Africa. You can see from the FI of the op and Control the pattern flattens and IMO that is due to the short wave spoiler.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Regardless of the subtleties of pressure patterns over our small Island the actual frigidness of upper air over the UK is remarkably consistent - almost flatlining at -5C

graphe3_1000_251_79___.gif

To me its a case of either a cool/cold west/north-westerly or a much colder easterly as the two solutions. Depending on location will determine how happy will be with the output.

I for one are hoping for the easterly solution :p

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Regardless of the subtleties of pressure patterns over our small Island the actual frigidness of upper air over the UK is remarkably consistent - almost flatlining at -5C

graphe3_1000_251_79___.gif

Greatest amount of scatter (looking at SLP in particular) on that shows up from around the 17th onwards, so t+96 to t+108 hours is where FI begins then. Now we watch the ECM to see how it handles and more importantly evolves the surface features, post that timeframe. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Regarding the gfs. Isn't it know that the 06z doesn't have as much info and balloon data input. So perhaps those eye candy runs this morning were on thin ice so to speak. Now I've heard on here many times that the 12z is a more reliable output. So perhaps it is nearer the money. To me it looks abit like a northerly toppler showing this evening. This would bring us around 5 days of cold. So much better than we saw last year. As ever Easterleys are so difficult to achive in the uk. I have seen these disappear at t48. Anyway onto the ECM see what it thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

To me its a case of either a cool/cold west/north-westerly or a much colder easterly as the two solutions. Depending on location will determine how happy will be with the output.

I for one are hoping for the easterly solution :p

You and me both. A comparison between the 06 suite and 12z with 2m temps shows an alarming lurch back away from cold spell proper but we often see this sort of flip flopping when a cold spell is in the offing. 

graphe6_1000_232_40___.gifgraphe6_1000_232_40___.gif

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As usual another fantastic calming post by Tamara!!.Lets not get fixated with just one run.I know it is frustrating but as others have said it is what it is when the vast majority on here are after the Holy Grail of snow and cold. Sit back, grab a beer and enjoy the evening !!.The general trends are good and the best we have seen for 2 winters!! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECH1-144.GIF?13-0

Snowfest alert! Not an Easterly (yet) but cold and likely snowy away from the SW.

• Like 4

Posted

Remember shallow features drifting south in the very slack flow with bitter surface temps is a recipe for snow.!!!

As expected the GFS ensembles are a mess, the control + 7 + 13 poor. The rest all go varying ways generally pointing towards cold & risk of snow....

If you find the bias page the GFS 12z has the biggest eastward bias of all the runs over the atlantic- keep that in mind.

PTB is probably one of the best

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=6&code=17&mode=0&carte=1

S

Simply stunning chart, I don't recall one quite that impressive - well spotted. ( If only.......!)

Time to check where PV is really heading

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM day 6

ECM1-144.GIF?13-0

A mess sums it up.

ECM0-144.GIF?13-0

A cold mess mind you. Snow should definitely be falling in places.

That area of warming over Eastern Greenland should aid to slide low pressure towards the UK and keep us in the colder air.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

As usual another fantastic calming post by Tamara!!.Lets not get fixated with just one run.I know it is frustrating but as others have said it is what it is when the vast majority on here are after the Holy Grail of snow and cold. Sit back, grab a beer and enjoy the evening !!.The general trends are good and the best we have seen for 2 winters!!

Completely agree, maybe the old gfs wants to go out on a sour note and let us down just one last time

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

is it me or does the GFS do this every time we have a cold spell being modelled?? it did every time in 2013... and im sure it did just in the run up to xmas 2014?? if its upto its tricks again 3-6 runs time it will be back in line with ECM/UKMO etc.....

• Like 3

Posted

at day 6, upstream offshore nova scotia the 12z ecm very different to the 00z with a much deeper depression. that should affect the latter part of teh run as it will either draw the azores further west with some WAA or it will deepen further and perhaps push it further east. the wedge from the 00z run is less impressive on the 12z and further west. will be interesting to see if days 8 to 10 are still wintry, given these differences with the earlier run.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite unusual set of charts from both the ECM and UKMO at T144hrs, good luck though to anyone trying to forecast where snow might fall at that range.

A very complex set up but interesting.

• Like 8

Posted

hi Tamara

I am utterly lost as to what this means?

Much will depend on how bell-weather a height anomaly to the N and NE we can secure.

Can you explain it to me please?

thanks

john

• Like 5

Posted

GFS parallel at day 6

gfs-0-144.png?12

gfs-1-144.png?12

Cold again with heights to our north.

The outlook does look complex with low pressure close by. It really depends at the moment on the direction of the flow to determine whether we get rain or snow. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

ECM would be a total snow fest for large swathes of England barring the EXTREME SE of the UK.....

Also GFS p still singing the easterly

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2015011312/gfsnh-0-156.png?12

the ecm snow map confirms that. only the south coast and se corner (inc london) without cover.  note that this is a useless tool at more than a few days range

• Like 1

Posted

ECM would be a total snow fest for large swathes of England barring the EXTREME SE of the UK.....

Also GFS p still singing the easterly

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2015011312/gfsnh-0-156.png?12

Why.not the south east Steve..? South west I would get, but not sure why you say south east.. But you know what! It's great to have these types of niggles.. It has been a long two years..

• Like 3