Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Stormy Period Inbound...

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

i  hope there a downgrade  before wednesday    935  mb  over scotland

And maybe another 935mb winter storm come Thursday but alot further south!!!  it's all if's a this stage, one thing is certain a very interesting week coming up :D

gens-5-1-114.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

And maybe another 935mb winter storm come Thursday but alot further south!!!  it's all if's a this stage, one thing is certain a very interesting week coming up :D

gens-5-1-114.png

and this is exactly how i expect future runs to react more i candy to come in the next few days.

even something white coming out of the sky suggests a cold heart of winter.

no one suggested a mega freeze and although not expecting much down here suggestions of some cold is better than last year.

still 6 weeks of true winter left and i still hold firm that the models are slowly moving towards that pivotal point where anything can happen but likely to flip colder.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some extremely mild temperatures across parts of Central Europe today (18C in Vienna currently!), with gales across much of northern and central parts of the continent.

Looks like a wild week to come here weather wise too, looking at the models. Not boring by any means.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Not overly excited about current outputs. Good for Scotland and Northern Ireland especially at height but for the rest of us it looks cold, wet and windy. If we want a countrywide cold spell then we really need a block to form, from what I've seen that's not gonna happen.

Maybe our luck will change end of jan going into February.

Plus with the weather so choppy and windy I have zero chance of getting out to sea for some fishing so all in all rather frustrating. Would much rather have a nice artic high giving us beautiful sunny crisp days with light winds and freezing nights with harsh frost.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

@SE BLIZZARDS It will be cold overall yes BUT not cold enough overall to satisfy most myself included.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

This would be my idea of a good pattern going into late Jan & early Feb from the GEFS 06z control run..wintry with a vengeance. :-)

post-4783-0-18778800-1420899945_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

@SE BLIZZARDS It will be cold overall yes BUT not cold enough overall to satisfy most myself included.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82208-model-output-discussion-stormy-period-inbound/?p=3110692

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The problem is that the cold uppers coincide with the drier interludes; so yes if you like a cool feel then great. However I suspect most people are looking for snowy weather:

post-14819-0-73621900-1420900382_thumb.p  post-14819-0-13388600-1420900382_thumb.p

Any frontal precipitation is aligned (at the moment) with the warmer uppers. The slack cold upper flow will likely just favour coastal regions for wintry showers IMO.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

The problem is that the cold uppers coincide with the drier interludes; so yes if you like a cool feel then great. However I suspect most people are looking for snowy weather:

attachicon.gifgens-21-2-192.png  attachicon.gifgens-21-0-192.png

Any frontal precipitation is aligned (at the moment) with the warmer uppers. The slack cold upper flow will likely just favour coastal regions for wintry showers IMO.

The mean chart i posted last night on post *619 was for last nights 18Z ens, it has now changed to the 6Z one, so doesn't actually reflect it very well now.

People WILL see some snowy weather over the next few days, especially the further North you are, i have little doubt about that, but maybe it just won't be a countrywide event! And according to Summer Sun it's snowing rather heavily RIGHT NOW in some place up north!

Anyway, the story is still the same imo, whether you like it or not the Models are showing a colder spell of weather is on it's way. How cold it will get, and how long it will last is anyone's guess at present.

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 4

Posted

Here's the latest tweet from someone who obviously spends a great deal of time looking at the models, quite of lot of which we don't have access too.

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather  Â·  2h 2 hours ago

W COUNTRY CONT'D...with temperatures generally below average & occasional N'ly bias to winds. Frost/ice/some snow possible into 6-15d period

Great update. Thanks for that.

And Agreed Paul. Time to move on from mild/not very cold/cold gate, or what ever you wanna call it.

Anyway, 12z's starting to roll out now, and no doubt they'll all show something completely different to what they were showing this morning..

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I can imagine the Daily Mean CET yesterday will end up being one of the warmest ever for the first 10 days of January

So just as a comparison.....one of the previous warmest was this from 5th Jan 1957

Rrea00119570105.gif

To me the current set up has more potential than what is shown above.  But the progression to northerlies that year undertook does have a familiar ring about it with where the models are showing us heading to.

I hope that's not a sign of things to come.....any cold was short-lived, February was unremarkable and it was in the top 10% of warmest winters over the last 300 years!

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 2

Posted

Still plenty of uncertainty with the track of the midweek low,with UKMO further south than gfs P.

gfs..post-2839-0-34492500-1420906930_thumb.pn  ukmo..post-2839-0-78416700-1420906932_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Memorable for all the wrong reasons?

952mb centre over Scotland.

12Z Thursday 06:00

post-6879-0-31039200-1420907402_thumb.pn

Lands End off the scale.

post-6879-0-29184000-1420907413_thumb.pn

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Decent signposting even way back on Jan 3rd from EC-EPS re broadscale developments into mid-month. The early signal for a vigorous low over or close to UK circa 15th Jan was particularly impressive.

impressive!! Shows why the clusters are generally the best tool to use most of the time and also why the ECM is still the number one model.

Posted

Decent signposting even way back on Jan 3rd from EC-EPS re broadscale developments into mid-month. The early signal for a vigorous low over or close to UK circa 15th Jan was particularly impressive.

Yes and GFS OP on Jan 01 at T372 for the 17th: post-14819-0-84979000-1420907540_thumb.p Current chart for that date: post-14819-0-44867100-1420907540_thumb.p

And GFS picked up that low on the 2nd Jan, though as a smaller feature but on the 3rd: post-14819-0-30477300-1420907705_thumb.p

I think both models handle zonal weather very well. 

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 4

Posted

the modelling of this storm is pretty consistent, even at this range. what are the MetO thoughts on this? as it has the potential to be a fairly destructive storm

• Like 1

Posted

Assuming the GEM 00z run is way off the mark (waiting for the 12z), the reason it is different from the other suite is it makes much less of the pv over north east canada after week 1. The fact that this is a canadian model makes it quite astonishing that it could get the modelling in that area so wrong. Quite sad really!

Posted

I am going to miss the GFS op from next Wednesday. The P will take over. Just highlighting the differences they make for Tuesday's snow:

post-14819-0-44317700-1420908369_thumb.ppost-14819-0-91953300-1420908369_thumb.p

Two fronts moving across the south. The GFS P has has snow from the second front where as the GFS op has backend snow. 

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS Op and GFSp pretty poor for any sustained cold it has to be said with Azores high being the main player.

Hopefully there will be some much better FI solutions among the ensembles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Below average 2m temperature anomaly the vast majority of the UK over the next 8 days

gfsanom_eu.png

Normal 2m temps left, expected 2m temps right

gfsnorm_eu.png gfssr_eu.png

GFS P continues to hint at some fairly widespread snow early next week, although nothing substantial after nearly 2 years without snow for some its better than nothing

81-780PUK.GIF?10-12

And again on the 18th & 19th

192-780PUK.GIF?10-12216-780PUK.GIF?10-12

• Like 5