Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

0.8 c with dewpoint of 0.7c

Sensor mounted on TV aerial above bungalow.

Was freezing according to car at brancaster beach.

Lovely sunny morning, just hoping for some showers off the north sea later.

Is anyone else confused about whats going to happen? BBC saying one thing, met office something else. Both BBC and metoffice app flip and change on a 3 hour basis.

Might just shut myself away from all media and see what happens

Posted

We really did come close to a great snow event just not ample conditions shame :nonono: there will be further chances in the week, we need a good easterly. My snow hunger has climbed to unprecedented levels.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

seems like most of the time we're very close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

I'm hoping for some reverse psychology to work a little magic here.

Considering I work at a body repair centre with 140 cars onsite already, no courtesy cars left and currently booking drivable cars in February. I could really do without any frost/snow/fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

And on Facebook some northeners I know are sick of the stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

The annoying thing is the sky does have that snowy look about it lol.

Early hours of Thursday look interesting, Friday shows the W'ly again but its not that mild and into the weekend 5-7*c & into a WSW into the start of the following week however its all very much FI and not worth losing sleep over.

A chilly week to come first just a shame a cloudy one otherwise it would be even cooler especially night temps.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

We now have fog in Lowestoft, "this wasnt forecast" ????????????

You sure next door is not on fire?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Yay! Im going to spend the afternoon building snowmen with the kids!! I have just q found a recipe for snow it looks and can mold like snow and if you chill in the freezer feels like snow! Now all I need to do is make it fall out of the sky :) ... grey and damp here today

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Certainly looking to be a struggle to get any meaningful snowfall out of this current spell, the models continually putting back the potential. Ok some have seen some snow yesterday, but for many either it didn't settle or hang around on the ground for long.

Chance of a few wintry showers for northern home counties and E Anglia tonight, as fronts move south, fizzling out by time it reaches London.

Monday's looking dry, then we see the frontal system move in from the west and reaching our area Tuesday evening, according to 06z GFS, looks mainly rain/sleet, with snow Midlands north.

post-1052-0-43545800-1421578702_thumb.gi

Wednesday's night/early Thurs looking more interesting on GFS though for snow potential, as a low develops across the south ... but ECMWF differs quite a lot synoptically, with a weaker precip signal.

post-1052-0-74010700-1421578422_thumb.gipost-1052-0-70048700-1421578440_thumb.gi

But as we head nearer Wednesday, GFS hopes may still end up wrong side of marginal, especially if precip. is light, the heavier the better to aid evaporative cooling.

But with the cold spell looking to extend beyond this coming week, more opportunities I guess.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

What we need now is to clear that cloud away & 24 hours of clear air to drop the temps & start building the cold pool

S

Isn't tomorrow meant to be a clear day for us mate?

Posted

Not all doom and gloom the cold spells length has been increased, and a pressure rise to the NE is gaining in momentum, slow burner? I reckon we'll all be happy with one good snowfall 5cm> and that's all it takes to be put it in the "ok" category. More would be nice. I think I deserve it - after tireless hours down the drain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I must echo the concern regarding the front pushing through us Tuesday night, Tuesday on the whole doesn't appear to be that cold at the surface with the NMM model generally giving a maximum of 5/6C with winds from the south west. This ties in with a warm sector that moves through along the front (850s rise up to around -2C to -3C across the region.

nmmuk-2-62-0.png?18-06

nmmuk-0-62-0.png?18-06

Dewpoints rise above freezing too as the front moves through.

The second front which moves through on Wednesday night looks to have a better chance though. Again we could be subjected to the same issues with warm sectors which cause the dewpoints and 850s to rise to the wrong side of marginal.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

This is shaping up to fall into the poor/very poor category as cold spells go. The SE has firmly been on the wrong side of marginal throughout and I see nothing in the next few days that will pull it out of the hat. As is often said on Netweather there is nothing remarkable about snow at elevation and in the far north - that is just normal winter weather. To deliver, cold spells need to bring widespread snowfall to areas where the bulk of the population lives - and on that key criteria this one is failing and failing badly.

Looking good for the North West of England then. :)

Wrong thread?

• Like 4

Just been to wickes store and up the road there are flooded fields covered in ice :)

No frost for me last night but hoping for at least 1 frost next week (my hopecast has downgraded now).

As for snow I will do what I always do, pray for pandemonium and panic at the met office and chaos in this thread maybe tuesday / wednesday.

Edited by mickeyb44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just been to wickes store and up the road there are flooded fields covered in ice :)

No frost for me last night but hoping for at least 1 frost next week (my hopecast has downgraded now).

As for snow I will do what I always do, pray for pandemonium and panic at the met office and chaos in this thread maybe tuesday / wednesday.

no need to pray for it, these days it seems to come as standard.

Posted

It's looking like a rather wishy washy cold spell this, especially for the south. However, far better than we had last year and so far this Winter.

Edited by Don

Posted

I think I may have a rest from the model outputs for the rest of today :sorry: , maybe a small peek before bed and that will do till tomorrow.

IMO you can look into every run a little too much, that then generates frustration and then perhaps looking at things that basically are not there or highly unlikey just to cheer the mood.

I reckon if we would of had a decent cold spell already with snow we probably wouldn't be picking the crumbs out of the output as much as we are the last two winters and also doesn't give much faith in looking too far ahead when it never quite delivers like at present.

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Has anyone seen the snow. Its a lovely crisp day clouds looking threatening off to pub now don't care if it snow now. Hope so but after 56 pages on mad thread in 2 days it was never going to materiality into anything. The sniping is ridiculous have a good rest of Sunday. Back to work tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted

Would love it if the wind map stays like this for Thursday

15012218_1806.gif

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/2015/01/18/basis06/ukuk/uv85/15012218_1806.gif

There looks to be some juice over in Holland also that could be pumped in off the North Sea, and we all know what that can generate

...straw clutching I know but we need to look at something lol

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

i  am  surprised   in the mad thread  they still happy  there a possible snow event for us  on Tuesday!!!  plus i reading the updates   from the weather people on twitter  this morning  they quite  bulliest for Feb   mind  you f1  is looking good at the  moment  for a prolonged  cold spell!!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

• Like 2