Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just another link-   The Euro4 model is the one my above post but will add again- For beginners use these 2 - you can just change the timelines with each model run ( some 2 hours after each run it

The front is now beginning to push in-   Watch out for the dewpoints to start dropping from the SE later in the eve,   There is a LOT of of PPN out in the channel arcing NNE ( NNN - even NNW)  

You sound like my ex

Posted Images

Agreed. Trough circa 3am may extend snow showers across even to S of London (hence UKMO warning amended). Meanwhile, latest UKV and MOGREPS signal for snow remains particularly strong for Exmoor and Mendips especially. W Country remains under the 522 dam thermal trough until about 0900 tomorrow.

Ian F

setting alarm for 3:30 I have nothing else to do, early birds! the snow that we are going to get is all down in the south west latest radar images show its starting to get its act together down there.

These will come our way its a matter of waiting... thundersnow in tropical Torquay! :)

• Like 1

Out on the edge of this small semi rural town and we do not get gritters here, no no idea if they have been out in this area, just looked out the window and looks cold and calm for now, no precip at present, think I saw a star or two when I looked to the sky.

• Like 1

The question on my mind, of course, is will it snow in Rochester?

A rule of thumb that I've used for a number of years uses theta-w and theta-e temperatures and the relatonship between them that I got from here [1] Here's the chart for the SE, sea-level, for Jan only:

post-5986-0-74868200-1421190615_thumb.pn

If you find out the theta-e for your area, you can then read off the maximum value theta-w for any chance of snow. If the theta-w in your area is at the value or below, you can find our the probability of snow using this chart,

post-5986-0-37211900-1421190722_thumb.pn

Essentialy, you take your theta-w (if it's below the value on the first chart) and then read of the probability. Loads of corrections need to be applied such as height etc, but using this method, it looks like snow up here on Bluebell Hill given a probability of around 60%.

If it precipiates, of course.

:)

[1] http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/194

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 2

Agreed. Trough circa 3am may extend snow showers across even to S of London (hence UKMO warning amended). Meanwhile, latest UKV and MOGREPS signal for snow remains particularly strong for Exmoor and Mendips especially. W Country remains under the 522 dam thermal trough until about 0900 tomorrow.

Ian F

setting alarm for 3:30 I have nothing else to do, early birds! the snow that we are going to get is all down in the south west latest radar images show its starting to get its act together down there.

These will come our way its a matter of waiting... thundersnow in tropical Torquay! :)

Tahnks for all your updates Daniel. Good stuff....

just opened the back door and closed it again, very cold out there, a gentle breeze, no rain, think i  might just snuggle into my bed and dream of snow n :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy:

Tahnks for all your updates Daniel. Good stuff....

No problem mate... there's some interest to the west moving at a ENE direction sleet/snow, also towards Dorset , quite a lot going on. As you can see the night is still young...

post-19153-0-71118900-1421191113_thumb.j

Just been upstairs and can hear the wind has picked up as it is blowing against the extractor vent in the bathroom, looked out the window and stars are visable now.

Info generated shows GFS parallel run is having issues on output which will be rectified by tomorrow's 12Z run.

Yep, gritters are out to treat A & B routes due to falling temps and snow

His on the prowl in the MOD thread ^^ :rofl:

• Like 1

Hi guys any updates on this storm weds night on the gusts South east? Thanks

Current GFS guidance suggests gusts around 60 knots quite widely over the SE at around 3am Thurs morning, clearing quickly East.

post-5986-0-62618000-1421193738_thumb.gi

Edited by Sparkicle

Well.. I was going to bed but the radar shows increasing activity towards the South-West now associated with that trough. I'm off work for a few days, got the Xbox on, not much excuse to not stay up..

• Like 4

Dew points finally dropping toward OC from the west, now down to +1, but stations west of London down to 0c, so should be good for show to fall from showers later in the night, no high hopes of it settling though in London with temps perhaps a little too high at the surface. Outside London much better chance, especially above 150m.

• Like 2

hi all hope you are all having some weather fun! i am in Dublin for a few days. The cold is unreal here, we had some sleet/snow for about 15 minutes but nothing now. Not sure what to expect here snow wise, but hope you get some at home :)

Well.. I was going to bed but the radar shows increasing activity towards the South-West now associated with that trough. I'm off work for a few days, got the Xbox on, not much excuse to not stay up..

Interesting that the met office chose not to include Medway in the warning for snow but have for everything else...... I won't be building my hopes up, if I wake to a dusting I'll be nicely surprised  :drunk:

Still hopeing for a bit of the White stuff, after last years disaster would be nice to see a little ! Wind has got up here in Molesey surrey. May stay up a bit longer. Feeling cold out there â„ï¸