Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Norfolk has had PPN that looked pretty heavy for most of the afternoon & evening, was any of that snow?

• Like 1

Posted

A new cold spell is already forming :shok: After a mild 5 days, the snow watching will return and this cold spell looks better for us than the plastic one we've just had.

This plastic one looked good bout 6 days ago lassie, according to the models :( This "new cold spell" is that from the models??

Edited by Biggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well, at least I've seen a bit of snow today :) so I'll take that as a bonus. Been a really bitterly cold day aswell, especially in that wind.

ECM showing something that doesn't look too dissimilar to the 31st January 2003 where our region got pasted by a full on blizzard that went on all afternoon and all night, and actually caught the forecasters out a fair bit. Out of everything, that was an event that really stuck out, and still does today. Remember losing power for over a day and a constant bitter howling N/NE,ly roaring down the chimney. Remember the M11 being in turmoil the following morning too with abandoned cars and several jackknifed lorries. 

Hope we get something similar to that at least before the winter is out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I still have an 18% risk of snow for Saturday, I expect it may sleet instead like Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunday

post-17424-0-02192200-1421878747_thumb.p

Moderate to fresh south westerly wind

Bright and frosty start. Then cloud will quickly increase to bring some patchy rain during the mid/late afternoon.

Temperatures - 5-8C (rising through the evening)

Monday

post-17424-0-03918800-1421878748_thumb.p

Moderate north westerly wind

Rain should clear by midday to leave a fine afternoon with sunny spells.

Temperatures - 7-10C (temperatures will fall during the afternoon).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

guys- near zero chance of back edge snow on sat-

we will have to wait until next week (thurs-fri) for another shot of cold

Thanks Steve

Posted

Tell u what after last yearz dross of zonal westerliez smashing us to this year's will it won't it snow I would much rather have this. I love a good storm in the autumn but and I hasten to add I love snow and cold. A sense of realisation struck me last week where on the mad thread 65 pages scored in 24 hours followed by the back fighting and biting hence the name of the latest thread smile whilst u r posting!!! I am not telling anyone to suck eggs but this is so so different to the whole of the last winter.

Will it snow yes possibly whom knows. Best line of winter is we live on an isle predominantly backed by Atlantic weather we need so many factors to go right for the se to get anything proper.....

Enough of my lecture lol turned into a lot longer than I thought lol still cold

• Like 3

Posted

No meaningful snow equates to no better than last year IMHO, winter in Cairo would outclass last year. Boils the blood it realy does how it always go, against our favour when will the coin flip... 1-3C colder and we would be laughing, the cold is not entrenched enough nor is the source optimum for us. I might take a few days break from netweather, dismal display from the 'weather gods' . Mainland Europe is also experiencing a very mild winter bar fleeting cold, just like last year appalling, bring on the beasterly. Thankfully we still have time but by March it really starts going against our favour down south. 2013 provided otherwise. do not expect any repeat in a hurry. February is pivotal, one good snow event and I'll be happy.

• Like 2

Posted

No meaningful snow equates to no better than last year IMHO, winter in Cairo would outclass last year. Boils the blood it realy does how it always go, against our favour when will the coin flip... 1-3C colder and we would be laughing, the cold is not entrenched enough nor is the source optimum for us. I might take a few days break from netweather, dismal display from the 'weather gods' . Mainland Europe is also experiencing a very mild winter bar fleeting cold, just like last year appalling, bring on the beasterly. Thankfully we still have time but by March it really starts going against our favour down south. 2013 provided otherwise. do not expect any repeat in a hurry. February is pivotal, one good snow event and I'll be happy.

I think it's a lot better than last winter, I remember the storm just before Christmas kept arcing out my electric, (hasn't happened with any of the storms this winter), thank goodness I was one of the lucky ones who managed to have it working still after. I love snow and have seen some this year, in sleet and snizzle, I could have caught a bus, 10 min journey up to Whitfield to see lying snow.

Just looked at will it snow, and have a 24% risk for tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

This plastic one looked good bout 6 days ago lassie, according to the models :( This "new cold spell" is that from the models??

It did indeed, I'm hoping that Simon Keeling knows what he is talking about as he has called it based on the ECMWF. The GFS was agreeing but has since thrown a wobbly.

It's not great is it Daniel, two very average cold spells, although I don't remember even one last winter. :shok: I may go back to weather folklore lol, for every fog you get in October, equals how many snow falls you have through winter. I had one slight fog in October and so far, I have had 10 minutes of snow, so I think that is my lot for the winter. ;)

I think it's a lot better than last winter, I remember the storm just before Christmas kept arcing out my electric, (hasn't happened with any of the storms this winter), thank goodness I was one of the lucky ones who managed to have it working still after. I love snow and have seen some this year, in sleet and snizzle, I could have caught a bus, 10 min journey up to Whitfield to see lying snow.

Just looked at will it snow, and have a 24% risk for tomorrow, fingers crossed.

I escaped all the destruction last winter too..............phew! Not a winter I would like to see repeated again. :nonono:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

guys- near zero chance of back edge snow on sat-

we will have to wait until next week (thurs-fri) for another shot of cold

Morning all, still cold and a bit foggy outside. Unfortunately next weeks cold spell has vanished from the GFS operationals. Let's hope it swings back again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Cloudy but frosty start here. Hopefully the cloud should break up through the day. Nothing really of interesting within the next week. A case of being patient seems to be the message this morning. Even if the ECM has snow for us by day 10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

-0.3c here nice crisp morning!

Posted

Cloudy but frosty start here. Hopefully the cloud should break up through the day. Nothing really of interesting within the next week. A case of being patient seems to be the message this morning. Even if the ECM has snow for us by day 10.

we never do particularly well out of a north westerly or a straight northerly though?

we need a north easterly feed or an easterly dragging showers in inland off the north sea

Posted

we never do particularly well out of a north westerly or a straight northerly though?

we need a north easterly feed or an easterly dragging showers in inland off the north sea

We can but it's rare - the thunder snow event of 28 Jan (?) 2004 was a direct northerly - I was in Plymouth at the time but my Dad in Horsham recorded 2.5 inches of snow in 90 mins from that!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Springwatch. Well the snows melted, the sun is breaking thru the shallow cloud, Very calm. Temp now 4C. Nice in the sun.

Everything looks set for an early Spring. Im surprised how warm that sun is. Should be a cracking Day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

ODE FOR SOUTHEAST

Northerlies are lovely,

If u live north of m4

The usual places get the snow,

For us it is a bore...

The sprinkle if you're lucky,

Comes as a surprise,

But blink and you might miss it

Right before your eyes

We south eastern people,

Live in hope to see the snow

For if we rouse the beastly beast

all systems would be go

Until the charts begin to show

More signs of what we need

Patience has been tested

That's been certain, yes indeed!

• Like 7

Posted

Deep northerlies are usually great for this part of the world (especially East Anglia and Kent as showers push in off the north sea). The deeper ones also develop secondary features and troughs which can bring widespread snowfall anywhere really. It has been a long time since we saw a proper convective northerly, not these petty complex ones with marginal 850s. 

I miss the northerlies of the early 2000's which actually did deliver a couple of thundersnow events.

Posted

We can but it's rare - the thunder snow event of 28 Jan (?) 2004 was a direct northerly - I was in Plymouth at the time but my Dad in Horsham recorded 2.5 inches of snow in 90 mins from that!

I remember that, got knee high snow in about 60 mins, SE London. I also remember the forecaster getting really excited about the type of rare weather phenonem that would cause the thunder snow storms that day, but I can't remember what it was called, for the life of me. He compared them to torandic storms but harmless, but where they hit would get a big dumping. Does anyone know or remember this better?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

The sun is tring to peep thru, Im sure it will the cloud is very thin. Very calm.

Will be lovely in the greenhouse later if that cloud breaks up. Fingers crossed.

Posted

Oh yeah almost forgot, new thread incoming. Will do this in five minutes, so finish up posting.

Locked - new thread here 

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82356-southeast-england-and-east-anglia-weather-chat/

Edited by Captain shortwave