Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Met O warnings aren't that different to my snow map I posted yesterday morning.

attachicon.gifsnow risk zone.jpg

Right on the edge of the Met O warning area for my location.

Me too Dave could do with an eastward shift of 30miles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ultimately this will be a radar watch. It will be quite obvious by 10/11pm if we see any decent chance of a decent snow event.

Posted

I have to report that the thanet snowshield held firm and looks as though it will for the foreseeable if the reports and warnings are right which I do not doubt for one minute (wish they were wrong though)  :sorry:  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Ultimately this will be a radar watch. It will be quite obvious by 10/11pm if we see any decent chance of a decent snow event.

Hi Captain, I was looking at the NW radar this morning and it showed an area of snow over Chelmsford did you see any snow earlier? Also I wonder if I could ask when you switch on the satellite coverage NW Radar v6 (say viable) the image is grey that is not cloud is it some sort of atmospheric haze? For example at my location now it  is is sunny and cold and still frosty, but on the radar there is a grey hue across the area granted to the south and south west there are white areas which I assume are clouds.

Finger trouble pressed the send to early sorry must be my age or the cold :fool: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hi Captain, I was looking at the NW radar this morning and it showed an area of snow over Chelmsford did you see any snow earlier? Also I wonder if I could ask when you switch on the satellite coverage NW Radar v6 (say viable) the image is grey that is not cloud is it some sort of atmospheric haze? For example at my location now it  is is sunny and cold and still frosty, but on the radar there is a grey hue across the area granted to the south and south west there are white areas which I assume are clouds. 

Yep, got a little light snow here between half 9 and 10. 

For the visible radar, not sure, could be very thin high cloud or a little haze perhaps. Difficult to tell to be honest.

Showers pushing into NE Essex and east Suffolk at the moment. Precipitation looks to be a mix of rain and sleet though. Same goes for the showers over Kent and coastal Sussex.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The clouds are telling me I have a front on it's way. I'm no good with names, but I go by the whispy cloud then the bank of 'watery sun' clouds behind. So i think i may get something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

General rule of thumb in winter for snow is 850Hpa's below -7c and Geopotential 1000-500Hpa thicknesses of less than 524dam. If there is an E or SE'ly wind off a very cold continent snow can fall up to -1c at 850Hpa and thicknesses can be as high as 537dam as the air is dry and very cold.

To work out dam values on the 500Hpa charts is a little more tricky. Very deep blues do not always mean very cold temperatures.

Basically the rule of thumb for working them out is as follows.:

Anything over 1000mb pressure you subtract from the dam, anything under 1000mb you add to the dam. Therefore a deep blue chart with a dam of 512 (right hand side on the key) over Kent but with a pressure of 970mb would mean you would add 30 to the 512 to give a thickness of roughly 542dam (ie normally warm enough for rain).

On the other hand you might see a chart that is green or a light blue colour and everyone is getting excited. That is because it is likely that the key on the right hand side is suggesting something like 540 but because the pressure is 1025mb you then subtract 25 from 540 to leave you with 515dam thicknesses. snow territory

In Jan 850Hpa's of less then -7c are normally good enough to bring snowfall. Settling snow normally occurs below -9c at sea level.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Yep, got a little light snow here between half 9 and 10. 

For the visible radar, not sure, could be very thin high cloud or a little haze perhaps. Difficult to tell to be honest.

Showers pushing into NE Essex and east Suffolk at the moment. Precipitation looks to be a mix of rain and sleet though. Same goes for the showers over Kent and coastal Sussex.

Thanks must check posts before pressing "post" I can spell honest. The radar "haze" seems to be fairly constant but can't check now as we have a lot of high cloud aloft. Still nice to know that "pink / light magenta" colour does mean snow all be it light.

Posted

My chances have been written off in High Wycombe Bucks but I look on the met office and they still have me down for light snow so I don't know what to think now other than wait for the radar watching

Posted

This would be my summary over the next 24 hours, A band of snow moving east across the region from around 10-11pm tonight-

The milder air in the warm sector will eat into the band from the SW, so coastal West sussex up into Surrey may be sleet & rain on the coast.

London ( west ) North of London, oxfordshire should see heavier bursts.

Kent ( mainly west ) Essex - mainly west probably bursts of light snow. 

East kent, east Essex - Suffolk & Norfolk may well just stay dry.

Sussex ( E) probably dry & cold

Sussex (W) rain sleet & snow ( snow in the northern part)

There is a stalling point where it just stops dies & slides away south which looks like straddling NW kent & South Essex- however don't let that excite you its all light or nothing.

Depths- midlands up to 5cm

North west London or SE Oxfordshire - maybe 1-4cm.

The stall zone-  trace - 1cm.

If you like seeing snow falling then chances are you will away from the south, if you like sledging etc take a drive towards Dunstable downs.

S

The

As I live in Dunstable I do hold hope for your last paragraph! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I think we have our answer-

My chances have been written off in High Wycombe Bucks but I look on the met office and they still have me down for light snow so I don't know what to think now other than wait for the radar watching

post-10303-0-11884100-1421759502_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

The clouds are telling me I have a front on it's way. I'm no good with names, but I go by the whispy cloud then the bank of 'watery sun' clouds behind. So i think i may get something.

Back to just cloud on Met0. Whatever it is it can't make it's mind up! At least rain would be something.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

I love the colour of the clouds as a snowy front approaches.

Has a distinctive colour unlike the drab rain clouds we are all so used to.

I love the colour of the clouds as a snowy front approaches.

Has a distinctive colour unlike the drab rain clouds we are all so used to.

Posted

I see I have been made famous elsewhere :D

Posted

Nice afternoon up in MK. Have a sundog that keeps appearing, although Netweather will not allow me to post a picture of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Is that a facebook group - I can jump in on that if I know what it is

S

It's the Met Office Facebook (yellow warning page) Steve, I hope you have some positive news fingers ;-) I love reading your comments on here- I would be happy with a centimetre lol

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting someone from the meto spells accumulation wrong :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Just spoken to mum in Fairlight (near Hastings) and they had snowfall earlier this morning,a nice covering due to 'goose feather' snowflakes.Right on the sussex coast there.

• Like 1