Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

I think everything that needs saying has already been said

When you have the GFS on the one hand sweeping the fronts through, then the Euro4 not progressing the fronts beyond the West Midlands at less than 24-36 hours away, you know you have everyone's favourite word beginning with N, Nowcast, on the way (side note: anybody remember the Nowcast in the days of Teletext - that would form part of my religious daily viewing before and after school in the winter just to see if any snow was on the way, finished off with a quick game of bamboozled)

I did wake up to a nice surprise dusting of snow this morning though so I can't complain too much (yet)

SK

You just stirred up my childhood memories of looking for snow on teletext.

Waiting for the pages to flick over, then pressing the hold button to keep it on the screen.

It was much easier then not knowing when the snow and cold was coming, and even better when the forecast was for rain, but snow fell instead!

• Like 2

Posted

These forecasts can change so quickly, it wasn't so long ago the Midlands was the hot spot now it's west and southern areas with a risk of a couple of hours of snow in the SE now going by the latest bbc forecast but things can change at the last minute,hopefully for the good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temps -1.8c

Dewpoint dropping like a stone -3c

Darren betts did say at the end of the forecast that things will change wrt the snow!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I mean this in jest, but you lot are so desperate for snow, it's evident on the posts above  :rofl: 

Glad I live up north during term-time, just had a couple of cm of snow last night. 

• Like 1

Posted

I mean this in jest, but you lot are so desperate for snow, it's evident on the posts above  :rofl: 

Glad I live up north during term-time, just had a couple of cm of snow last night. 

I do not deny it

• Like 2

Posted

Whatever you do don't read ian f's update on the mod thread. It's a coldies nightmare possibly as far as mid-feb. Hopefully it's wrong because it goes against the latest net weather winter forecast!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

-1oC here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Night time..

Lol I know but the cloud normally holds temps up, clear skies now and still dropping as I would expect with clear skies.

Posted

Whatever you do don't read ian f's update on the mod thread. It's a coldies nightmare possibly as far as mid-feb. Hopefully it's wrong because it goes against the latest net weather winter forecast!!!

Disappointing, but things crop up out of the blue

This current 'cold spell' was nowhere to be seen till about 4 days before it started, all the forecasts were about mild zonality

I am still hopeful that we will get some nice surprises this winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Ian F's comment are a real kick in the crown jewels however things can change and surprise, there seems to be alot of chopping and changing with signals/views so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a more positive later in the week or early next week from Ian....We'll one can hope !!!

Posted

Well after what's looking like a very disappointing and frustrating cold spell this week with constant downgrades, if Ian F's latest update turns out to be correct, Winter 2014/15 looks almost certain to be a lost cause for many cold lovers!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

Ian F's comment are a real kick in the crown jewels however things can change and surprise, there seems to be alot of chopping and changing with signals/views so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a more positive later in the week or early next week from Ian....We'll one can hope !!!

I think your right mate, and at that range I think they are always going to say what is more likely to happen and go back to default westerly influences.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

too late already read it  :nonono: was hoping the meteox link I just put on would get a response , hoping for yes  maybe will be snow :search:

Well it is cold enough, and the dp is very favourable, depends on if the showers warm things up as they arrive.

Posted

Well after what's looking like a very disappointing and frustrating cold spell this week with constant downgrades, if Ian F's latest update turns out to be correct, Winter 2014/15 looks almost certain to be a lost cause for many cold lovers!

Wouldn't go that far mate, that only goes up to mid feb. A good month of potential colder weather before the odds lengthen

Posted

Given up with charts now looking only a few days in advance, then window watching and street light

Back to 80s forecasting when we had two weather forecasts a day then updates were on the Radio

Wont be looking at February

Posted

yeah thats what i was thinking and hoping  :D , definitely heading straight towards us

If precipitation shown in the English Channel makes landfall it would be 100% snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I will be interesting to view the next meto 30day outlook and how that takes us to Mid Feb

This was the last update for anyone that's not read it...

UK Outlook for Tuesday 3 Feb 2015 to Tuesday 17 Feb 2015:

The unsettled conditions will probably continue across most parts of the UK during the first half of February, particularly for northern and western parts. Southern areas are probably most likely to experience some lengthier dry and clearer spells. Temperatures are currently signalled to be near, or a little below normal, which will bring a risk of night-time frosts, and also a wintry mix of rain, sleet and perhaps snow at times.

Updated at: 1440 on Mon 19 Jan 2015

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Wouldn't go that far mate, that only goes up to mid feb. A good month of potential colder weather before the odds lengthen

True but after mid February, it becomes somewhat more difficult to get a proper cold spell.  Obviously it can happen, look at March 2013 as an extreme example, but that was exceptional and there are no signs of anything like that occurring at the moment.