Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I'm glad i'm driving to Nordkapp at the top of Northern Norway in couple of weeks, bit of a trek from Brighton but will be 100% guaranteed to see some proper snow this way, and to see the northern lights hopefully :)

Would be nice to get a bit of snow this week or next, been 2 years since any snow round here. 

Edited by kingdeacon

Posted

Lots of debbie doubters in here. Things look better today than 24hrs ago. Cold is a touch deeper, first front doesnt even make it. Thr second pluse was always going to be the more interesting one as conditions and timing are better. Im sure most will see falling snow at some point, especially if that small low forms and wraps the front into the colder air being pulled down on Wednesday night. Settling snow is alot trickier mind you!

Maybe Tuesday is a write off but this event is going to over-run several days and someone will get lucky in this region.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Well the cold rainy blip

( not what I would call a cold snap ) is app over on fri.

Not that this has ever looked good for our region.

Always been a Midlands north affair.

Great for them though.

To be fair yeah we have had a few frosts , but I had better frosts before Xmas than this.

Not dissapointed because nothing really showed for us

Roll on the next cold charts.

Who's with me

Ha ha

Its over you mean before it ever started.

It was only 5 days ago that Easterly's were being ramped wth streamers for the southeast.. you really cant afford to get excited on this forum , but most of US do..

I need to consider moving me thinks as it seems to be the same old lucky peps in the midlands that will benefit..

After spending the last 7 days wishing and hoping and upsetting the wife as I've spent more time on here than attending her needs, I now have had enough and will vanish until the next cold outbreak is promised but probably wont ever materialize.. ( sound glum don't I , Prozac at the ready ].

Think I might actually prefer a week of sun and mild than cold and grey [with no snow]..

Adios for now !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Steve Murr is obviously great at what he does and has an in depth knowledge of the models but he doesn't have access to half the information the met office do so I will be sticking with them wrt snow fall. I'm not hopefull at the moment but things will hopefully change.

On the other side of the coin last week meto gave snow warnings about 6hrs prior to an event that never materialised for many of us here in the SE.

IMO it will be a case of radar watching, DPs, temps & looking out the window etc.

Posted

I actually enjoy the hunt for cold and snow because it makes the weeks go faster and we get nearer to lighter nights and warmer weather which I do really enjoy  :yahoo:

I'm at the stage where I can take it or leave it regarding snow though tbh, I really enjoyed 2010 but did get bored of it after a few days. :sorry: The search and the hunt for it is exciting though, it's a bit like trying to pick a winner on the horses on a regular basis and beating the bookies.

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

Well it's my 1000th post , I have to say it's a shame that we have lost some of the regulars from a couple of years ago , I miss John pike .Anyway it's a beautiful day here current temp is 1.3 , a thick frost still remains where the sun has failed to hit , clouds are sitting to the north of me and seem to be staying there .Enjoy your day guys and fingers crossed that we might see a flake or two this week

Yep JP is missed, Coast, TomBR7, Snowqueen (snowraven) too. Everything changes :( even the weather :)

Edited by Biggin

Posted

Vortex off to Siberia  :hi:

ecmwf10f240.gif

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Will be interesting to see the next METO4 precipitation chart

I could be totally wrong by from this mornings run the batch looks to break up as it gets to the SE at t48

But the rain/snowfall chart does offer some crumb of comfort if it doesn't fade by the time it reaches our little corner

15012106_1906.gif

Posted

At the moment, also looking at GFS 6z zoomed in, the low that some of us in region probably need to exit over IOW or ever so slightly east, is actually modelled a reasonable distance west of IOW probably between Bournemouth and Weymouth. In terms of outcome this ends up meaning heavier PPN doesn't ever really make it (at least not to eastern most parts of region) and only perhaps western most parts in some of region.

Still time for change though and certainly it will be good if the likes of Steve can give people the key things to track, when he gets a moment. As I don't think we should totally right this off yet.

Will be interesting to see the next METO4 precipitation chart

I could be totally wrong by from this mornings run the batch looks to break up as it gets to the SE at t48

But the rain/snowfall chart does offer some crumb of comfort if it doesn't fade by the time it reaches our little corner

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but looks to me the precipitation is a lot further west:-( looking at gfs precipitation charts misses most of the south east except western parts of the region

Posted

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but looks to me the precipitation is a lot further west:-( looking at gfs precipitation charts misses most of the south east except western parts of the region

Yeah it looks that way on this mornings model, however Hammer's comment above gives us some hope...cannot fully rule it out at this stage, we may be sitting here come Wednesday and be surprised, you never know :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hi chaps, some hope, as corrections can't be totally ruled out some 50 or so hours away and if those corrections are all favourable, then more of the region could benefit. But our region is large and it is unlikely all will be happy with outcome, or any of us. I hope at least some of us are, equally hope people set expectations accordingly so no toys thrown out of pram.

Yeah it looks that way on this mornings model, however Hammer's comment above gives us some hope...cannot fully rule it out at this stage, we may be sitting here come Wednesday and be surprised, you never know :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Crisp, sunny, bit of cloud. At least it now feels like winter. The car lied and said it was 3oC out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lots of sunshine here. I guess it's a case of go out and enjoy the crisp winter sunshine today and most of tomorrow. We might see a little snow in places we are lucky midweek and possibly Thursday if we get an easterly (albeit brief) in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Matt Taylor talking about the potential for a small low pressure that could form to the east of the English channel pepping up the sleet and snow showers towards the southeast on Wednesday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

MetO app has downgraded the brief light snow forecast for me for Tuesday and Wednesday to rain and then temps start to go up from Friday. I know things can still change so I'm crossing all possible appendages

Edit - app has just updated again and sleet's back for Wednesday. Really is on a knife-edge.

Edited by ReindeerMarmalade

Posted

Just seen Kate Kinsella lunchtime weather video BBC South East, chance of a wintry shower clipping Southern Coats early tomorrow morning,

Then also up till Thursday just says anything that does fall from the sky could be of a wintry mix.

As we were then, not much more of an insight !!!

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just seen Kate Kinsella lunchtime weather video BBC South East, chance of a wintry shower clipping Southern Coats early tomorrow morning,

Then also up till Thursday just says anything that does fall from the sky could be of a wintry mix.

Well the 850s are between -6C and -8C with an onshore breeze I would think that parts of East Sussex and Kent could get something tomorrow ahead of the frontal system. 

30-7UK.GIF?19-6

Could be a surprise for some tomorrow, I would expect that the showers will only effect these parts during the day when the wind picks up a little to bring the showers onshore. Again a radar watch event.

Thursday

Not sure about a low developing in the southern northern sea truthspeaker (it might be a showery trough)

850s look okay again

72-7UK.GIF?19-6

Possible snow showers affecting coastal areas of East Anglia up to north east England, unsure about Kent at this time.

Fingers crossed that we do scrape something out of this week though. Trends seem to be heading towards a breakdown of the cold air during Friday and into the weekend. (That said the weekend won't be that much different as the maritime airmass is from the polar regions anyway).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Kent I've noticed no yellow warnings for even more favourable regions yet. So it does perhaps suggest either the additional data METO look at, is making them pretty confident of no requirement to warn. Or they are quite happy to wait to peruse over more data and define the risk a little later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

forumpicweather_zps307d3f78.jpg

This is what happens if you google weather for Bedford. Stuff of dreams and all. Snow most of Wednesday and Thursday while most forecasts state we 'may' get a bit of rain/sleet middle of the week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Met office have me down for light snow from 4am Wednesday morning to 6pm Wednesday night. Interesting.

Posted

Guys are you using the met office apps or going direct to the website on a laptop etc?