Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

off to hide under 2 duvets and a blanket, with 2 hot water bottles,still clear skies here, lots of stars, i can see, i would study them more, if it wasn't so cold, being in the countryside, its always colder here, Lets hope this snow we all deserve comes this week, after all, we deserve it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

-0.2 here now, shocking as last night at the same time we were looking at 2.8. A 3 degree drop between two days is shocking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Also the DP is around -.6 now..

If only the PPN was around!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I'm not fussy, I will bank this now and this will do me for the Winter  :rofl:

72-779UK.GIF?18-18

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2015011818/72-779UK.GIF?18-18

• Like 2

Posted

That'll do me :whistling:

post-19153-0-15744200-1421623566_thumb.j

If you miss out on the 'frontal' side such as places like Kent, Essex those locations too far east to benefit, you'll be reaping it in if this cut off low verified, heavy snowfall, for Southeast England zilch marginality SE'ly winds ensuring we get a cold continental influence, with 850s sub -6C we'll be good to go.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

That'll do me :whistling:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If you miss out on the 'frontal' side such as places like Kent, Essex those locations too far east to benefit, you'll be reaping it in if this cut off low verified, heavy snowfall, for southeast england zilch marginality SE'ly winds ensuring we get a cold continental influence. :cold:

I'm skeptical.. East Anglia might do okay, at least South-East coastal areas of East Anglia but the wind flow for the South-East looks rather dry, barring frontal systems wrapped around the low pressure system

Posted

So for any night owls.. on a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you about tonight's outputs for this week ahead in terms of snow potential?

Me ... 7/10

Posted

So for any night owls.. on a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you about tonight's outputs for this week ahead in terms of snow potential?

Me ... 7/10

3/10

The precipitation away from the 'sweet spot', as steve would call it, would be minimal, a couple of CM's maybe...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, some better charts from 18z GFS for snow potential on Weds to sleep on tonight. Lets hope they don't downgrade to a damp squib again!

Re snow potential from the 'slider lows' generally this week away from favoured northern areas of N Ireland, Scotland, N England and hills of Wales - I think alot will depend on

1. How the stagnating cold airmass recovers temp-wise during daytime tomorrow and Tuesday. Sub-zero temps over the next few nights under clear spells, a ridge of high pressure building in on Monday combined with areas of cloud from decaying fronts trapping cold air at the surface.Models maybe over-estimating daytime temps over next few days.

2. Models will be factoring in some mixing as the frontal system arrives with strengthening flow to increase surface temps. But if they do not have the degree of accuracy yet with the angle of approach of the fronts nor development of mesoscale lows that develop along the front that may change the wind direction (i.e. backing the flow), the direction of flow or slack/calm conditions. This can make a big difference to some areas being on the  wrong side of marginal for snow (onshore milder flow from S or SW) or right side of marginal (calm conditions or flow from a cold source).

3. If it's still a marginal knife-edge snow/rain situation - will the precip be heavy enough to allow evaporative cooling to lower the snow level?

Ultimately, nowcasting will be the best way of determining which side of marginal certain areas will be for snow/rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

under a duvet with hat and cloves, :cold:

Shocking that you still have no heating :shok: lucky that you are young and not elderly. I find that Zivania keeps you warm, although it does set fire to your insides when you drink it. :vava:  -1c here and clear. No snow on the horizon this week, or is there? :unknw: Saw the weather and still don't know! :nonono:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm skeptical.. East Anglia might do okay, at least South-East coastal areas of East Anglia but the wind flow for the South-East looks rather dry, barring frontal systems wrapped around the low pressure system

Are you looking at the same charts at me?

Posted

3/10

The precipitation away from the 'sweet spot', as steve would call it, would be minimal, a couple of CM's maybe...

You are a hard man to please Steve lol

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at Steve M's updated chart and taking it absolutely literally means my location is just outside snow zone, sweet spot AND kink due to triple point.

Beat that.

In fact mixing zone not a million miles away, :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Me ... 7/10

8.5/10 tonight. Prob be 5/10 in morning lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

So BBC still not confident?

post-10303-0-41734600-1421625656_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

One thing is for sure, when we are all searching days in advanced for the weather, it really does make the weeks fly past......and none of us are getting any younger  :rofl:  :nonono:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I seem to be missing out on Steve's new graphic - just about in the mixing zone though

Posted

Whats a mixing zone cause im in it , whatever it is sounds good lol :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Are you looking at the same charts at me?

Yes. Couple of things wrong in regards to heavy snow showers as the low pulls away (taking current tracking, this obviously will change and could become more favourable.

The wind flow isn't ideal - We'd need a slight ENE element to the wind to allow a longer fetch over the ocean to begin developing shower clouds. Winds are more E and at times SE which means the fetch is much shorter, light showers seem more likely.

post-7073-0-14339600-1421627554_thumb.gi

Problem 2. The temperature contrast between 850hPa and the Sea Surface isn't great enough. Ideally you'd want something of a 15c difference between the two for good convection. With -2c over much of the area the short fetched wind will be coming from and SST at around 8c, that's only a 10c difference give or take a degree.

post-7073-0-66105400-1421627554_thumb.gi

post-7073-0-60933000-1421627555_thumb.pn

Problem 3. Temperatures just aren't cold enough at that time, slightly milder air gets into the surface mix meaning rain would be more likely from any showers that do actually develop.

post-7073-0-15620000-1421627555_thumb.gi

Plenty of time for this to change - But at the moment, the models are not supportive of snow showers coming in from the East.

Whats a mixing zone cause im in it , whatever it is sounds good lol :-)

Rain/Sleet...

• Like 1