Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summer, cold winters.

Hi guys.to those of u more knowledgeable than myself wat are the chances of a thames streamer or channel low cropping up in the coming days? EW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Hi guys.to those of u more knowledgeable than myself wat are the chances of a thames streamer or channel low cropping up in the coming days? EW

Next to 0, the wind flow isn't right and the temperature boundary between the lower atmosphere and seal surface temperatures isn't big enough

Posted

May have already been discussed but on Beeb weather this morning Carol Kirkwood showed a large band of snow on Sunday. Covering much of this area. (The threads catchment area).

Updated on http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

they have updated it but still shows great potential. (Although too far out to polish the sled just yet)

(I can't hear the commentary as was at work so just watching the graphics. (From an IMBY point of view there was even a little snow for Norfolk on Saturday :)  )   

I wonder if we'll had Westisbest on this thread now he's in North Norfolk?

I do like her large band,worth watching the weather

Posted

Many thanks Steve. I am in Orpiington so at the moment in with a shout I guess.. I'm taking the liberty of presuming you will be reassessing the situation as the data sources update, if so may I suggest something like a trend analysis statement in comparison to the previous assessments..be great to help build the excitement during weekend, or allow us all to bugger off and get a life :)

Thanks for all the hard work and knowledge you share with us all on here.. I have followed your posts for several years at least and pretty much owe everything I know about winter weather to you.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I for one will certainly be staying in this thread, I can't be doing with the MO thread.

What I like in here is the mix of very knowledgeable posters, those still learning and the rest just keen to ask questions to find answers, Also when questions are asked people are helpful enough to explain rather than look down there noses.

For any newbies or lurkers you will learn more in here than you will in the MO as Steve M proves above by providing information that's easy to follow and learn.

P.S I have decided to go with a Vindaloo tomorrow night rather than the Madras, a little more extra warmth in the belly ready for the new week 

:gathering:

• Like 1

Posted

Can someone give me a quick update as i've been busy all morning and am slightly confused. According to a text message from my brother the BBC were forecasting heavy snow for my location and I quickly dismissed this and said it won't affect us. So my question is did the BBC predict this for Cambs on Sunday? I am at a loss why they would predict this because in my opinion any precip will remain many miles to the S of me.

The best chance in my opinion for snow across E Anglia is tomorrow afternoon although not expecting very much.

I will add N parts of E Anglia for Sat, S parts could see snow on Sunday i.e Essex, Suffolk.

Edited by TEITS
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Can someone give me a quick update as i've been busy all morning and am slightly confused. According to a text message from my brother the BBC were forecasting heavy snow for my location and I quickly dismissed this and said it won't affect us. So my question is did the BBC predict this for Cambs on Sunday? I am at a loss why they would predict this because in my opinion any precip will remain many miles to the S of me.

The best chance in my opinion for snow across E Anglia is tomorrow afternoon although not expecting very much.

It has the light snow symbol from 11am sunday right up until midnight, on the graphic it has you right in the middle of a band of snow,

Also showers early tomorrow right near Cambridge.

Posted

Just seen a tv forecast, snow only showing to the west of the area and not like the snow band on the beeb web

Relying on TV forecasts as they change by the half hour is neither going to be good for you, or prove to be accurate. The reality is that these situations are very difficult, and will not be predicted until less than a few hours out.

Just go with it, no need to stress over forecasts changing every few minutes. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

Hi teits I'm also in Peterborough so am keeping close eye on any forecasts haha, earlier on it showed us under a very heavy band of snow during sunday for a few hours but the recent forecast shows a couple of hours of light snow tomorro morning, then rain 1st thing sunday and then a more borderline wet snow/rain mix (heavylookin) later on sunday... fingers crossed they're wrong and it's all snow, I want my lil missy to see snow for the 1st time and not just building snowmen on the film frozen hehe

Posted

It has the light snow symbol from 11am sunday right up until midnight, on the graphic it has you right in the middle of a band of snow,

Also showers early tomorrow right near Cambridge.

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully Ian F isn't reading this thread because I rarely watch the BBC forecasts anymore and our regional Look E is appalling. Shall stick with my own methods of viewing the models, radar, Sat pics instead, although like I say im not expecting the band of snow to hit my area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully Ian F isn't reading this thread because I rarely watch the BBC forecasts anymore and our regional Look E is appalling. Shall stick with my own methods of viewing the models, radar, Sat pics instead, although like I say im not expecting the band of snow to hit my area.

The problem is with the BBC forecasts online are, that different timeframes are updated by different models, the best time to watch the TV forecasts is on the half one news and after midnight on the night time, then all the runs have been taken into consideration as some times you can get out of date data, I find the Met Office map forecasts better, you can zoom right into your area.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/u1214b469#?zoom=9&map=SignificantWeather&lon=0.12&lat=52.21&fcTime=1421528400

Posted

I will add N parts of E Anglia for Sat, S parts could see snow on Sunday i.e Essex, Suffolk.

I just watched BBC Look East weather report for the weekend, currently they forecast a few snow/sleet showers to pass through early morning Saturday then late Saturday night into Sunday a weather front from the south pushing up meeting the cold air and then they sounded unsure what type of precipitation, could be rain or sleet or snow!.  In my location a saw gritter trucks this morning applying salt to some of the roads already so they must be expecting snow or ice i guess.

Edited by Golden Hound

Posted

I just watched BBC Look East weather report for the weekend, currently they forecast a few snow/sleet showers to pass through early morning Saturday then late Saturday night into Sunday a weather front from the south pushing up meeting the cold air and then they sounded unsure what type of precipitation, could be rain or sleet or snow!.  In my location a saw gritter trucks this morning applying salt to some of the roads already so they must be expecting snow or ice i guess.

I got stuck behind the gritter all the way up the hill here in Epsom... Hopefully we will get something besides the heavy rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

would snow showers feed across the South/SouthEast in this flow or would it be to slack..

Not sure what others will think, it's a bit early to call whether we will get an easterly at all at the moment. There will be some hefty showers developing in the north sea during Monday and Tuesday, so it is no inconceivable to think that they could head towards the UK if an easterly flow did develop. Any easterly we do get looks more likely to be a sunshine and showers type one at this present time.

Posted

Yes they do Kent Blizzard :)

Wouldn't it be great if that poss 20 mm of rain fell as snow.

wouldve been 20 cm of  snow :) What a shame and a waste :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

It is very much to play for in our region.

It is getting to the point I would be surprised not to see something falling over most of our region although if it will settle and how much is in the lap of the gods.

Posted

Really searching around for some precipitation based on the lasted outputs! The 'snow' on Sunday only looks like clipping Kent at best now

Edited by steveinsussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I don't think Sunday is where we should be looking.

Get the cold and lying snow in over the rest of the country and watch how fast it pools into other areas.

The models to this day always seem to have a hard time adapting to their own snow fall, they can show a whiteout one day and then not really take all that lying snow into account for the next day. 

The sheer mass of cold air that a huge swathe of thick snow can generate above it should not be ignored.

• Like 1