Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Unless a short wave develops that they think is headed for France but end's up really spinning up and heads into the midlands instead, no where near.

Sorry, I mean just mainly the direction and colour of the arrows etc and not actual set-up... my bad for not explaining correctly.

And on that note when was them type of maps produced does anyone know?

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Sorry, I mean just mainly the direction and colour of the arrows etc and not actual set-up... my bad for not explaining correctly.

Sorry. I should have realised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

While the current models don't show our region getting much while the rest of the country has all the fun remember a couple of years back what happened in Jan/Feb.

The models showed a similar thing, north and west all getting pummelled while we got nothing, problem is once the snow is lying over a vast swathe of the country everything changes and because the snow keeps the air colder it spreads.

We ended up with a nice coating then despite the models prior showing nothing.

Best shot of the winter so far.

Yes, I well remember March '13 where in the run up I was cursing for being too far south and getting rain whilst those further north got all the snow.

In reality what happened was Jersey and Guernsey got pummelled and we about managed to scrape two or three inches whilst anyone further north got next to nothing!

All to play for IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

theres nothing worse than seeing the rest of the country with snow and us in south-east watching with jealousy,even worse when the south-west have loads,been let down many times before,so until its falling out of the sky,im not getting excited,yer right!!.why is it so difficult to get snow in our part of the world

To be fair only Scotland and parts of Ireland  have what I call significant snow(10cms+).The rest of the country(and at that localised) have had a very light covering and think it was only places with elevation (Dartmoor/Exmoor) in the SW that got snow and even then it was only about 3cms there.Our time will come and when it does lets hope we get a big dollop lol :D  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Meto update from the early hours-

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Cold with clear or sunny spells and wintry showers, heaviest and most frequent north and west. Winds easing. Risk of persistent rain or snow in south later Saturday into Sunday.

Updated at: 0243 on Wed 14 Jan 2015

.Do they usually take this long to update again? should be another soon I would of thought?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Meto update from the early hours-

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Cold with clear or sunny spells and wintry showers, heaviest and most frequent north and west. Winds easing. Risk of persistent rain or snow in south later Saturday into Sunday.

Updated at: 0243 on Wed 14 Jan 2015

.Do they usually take this long to update again? should be another soon I would of thought?

Yeah the trends are definitely getting colder for the SE and looking at the BBC website for my location it has been trending colder and colder for next 10 days(max temps of 3/4 degrees and Min Temps of -1). This system moving late Sat/Sunday will be one to watch. I would like it to be 50 miles further South than currently being projected as this will mean more in the South East could see snow. In the meantime batten down the hatches for tonight, looks like it is going to be ghastly!!

Posted

Looks like we will see a band of very heavy and squally rain pushing through our region, likely during the early hours. An inch or so of rain are possible in a fairly short space of time. Couple that with 50-60mph gusts in land and possibly up to 75mph on the south coast and parts of the Kent/East Anglia. Going to be a rough night.

Hi CS - Is that on this stretch of the coastline as we often get the tail sting?

Posted

Clouded over quicker than expected here after a cold and breezy but bright morning. But it's an interesting sky as the cloud cover is mostly cirrus and cirrostratus at the moment so it's a blueish grey. Wet and very windy weather on its way which I can find exciting, except when I have to do training this evening outside in it. 

• Like 1

Posted

Clouded over quicker than expected here after a cold and breezy but bright morning. But it's an interesting sky as the cloud cover is mostly cirrus and cirrostratus at the moment so it's a blueish grey. Wet and very windy weather on its way which I can find exciting, except when I have to do training this evening outside in it. 

Yeah, snap.

Seems like every chuffin' Wednesday it's the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Feeling very cold out, more so in the breeze, dull and cloudy but still dry for now, expect this to all change as the evening gets going.

Posted

Chilly old day and this just the start, we have to look no futher then the weekend to have the prospect of seeing snow, closer afield its looking rough really quite damaging winds. Gusting to 60-70 MPH... faint chance of 80-90 along coasts... MO have really underplayed this. There will be lots of disruption in the morning, back to earlier on what a waste of my life. :)

Outlook for Friday to Sunday

Rather cold on Friday and Saturday with sunny intervals and scattered wintry showers, and overnight frost with icy patches. Some more general rain, sleet, or snow is likely on Sunday.

GFS 12Z SATURDAY

post-19153-0-48771900-1421253063_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

looking at the radar much of the rain etc is north of us, yes there is a band of it coming through this evening, but not as wide and heavy unless there is more not yet on the radar to follow later in the night.

Posted

GFS 12z for far SE is pretty much the same for Kent/E Sussex, perhaps a stronger wind forecast for E Kent,

Looking at gusting of 54-59kts (to 68mph) widely throughout Kent and E Sussex, and E Kent gusting 59-65kts (to 75mph). More with height and/or exposed locations, perhaps even as much as 15% more.

post-5986-0-33975400-1421253835_thumb.gi

Batten down the hatches; looks like a wild ride. The St Jude Storm was 60-70mph over land with local potential of 80mph. It should be shortlived, passing rapidly East within four hours.

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow

Most forecasts still indicating 60mph+ gusts inland and 70-80mph on coasts, winds look like peaking between midnight and 4am before slowly moderating towards dawn.

Posted

GFS 12z is sensational I do not say that too often, It is a very big ramp indeed what a great entrance!

post-19153-0-39383700-1421254921_thumb.j post-19153-0-27784700-1421254946_thumb.j post-19153-0-25079400-1421254971_thumb.jpost-19153-0-43078600-1421254994_thumb.j post-19153-0-18992000-1421255016_thumb.j post-19153-0-71133400-1421255705_thumb.j

post-19153-0-26496100-1421255134_thumb.j

Nationwide significant cold & very snowy blast with sliders in abundance...exciting stuff. ;-) if you miss out on the frontal side you will be propelled by snow showers coming far Inland, with biting NE wind.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4

Posted

Essexgooner too far out to say where or won't get the white stuff. All about the trends at this stage.

Back to the here and now

Southern have this on their website for anyone using the trains tomorrow

Weather Forecast

High winds are expected in coastal areas in the early hours of Thurdsay 15th January. Network Rail will be running empty trains first thing to check that routes are clear for the day's service. Please check before you travel.

http://www.southernrailway.com/

Posted

Looking at  the latest maps it seems to keep the SE pretty snow free, please tell me Im wrong :)

I see numerous snow events sprucing up on face value it is looking pretty damn!! good, going by the latest charts available -western/central parts do best with slider setups, with very cold air engaging with shallow lows recipe for snow. Not so strong is the signal of accumulations however it will be very cold, minima circa -10C over the snowfields to the west of London, later on SE/EA is the place to be with a raw NE wind, but no need for the minor details, you would love that 22nd chart you'll be clobbered. :)