Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Agreed. Trough circa 3am may extend snow showers across even to S of London (hence UKMO warning amended). Meanwhile, latest UKV and MOGREPS signal for snow remains particularly strong for Exmoor and Mendips especially. W Country remains under the 522 dam thermal trough until about 0900 tomorrow.

Ian F

setting alarm for 3:30 I have nothing else to do, early birds! the snow that we are going to get is all down in the south west latest radar images show its starting to get its act together down there.

These will come our way its a matter of waiting... thundersnow in tropical Torquay! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Now its snowing first time since March 2013

Radar said sleet midnight thats not now true

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Out on the edge of this small semi rural town and we do not get gritters here, no no idea if they have been out in this area, just looked out the window and looks cold and calm for now, no precip at present, think I saw a star or two when I looked to the sky.

• Like 1

Posted

The question on my mind, of course, is will it snow in Rochester?

A rule of thumb that I've used for a number of years uses theta-w and theta-e temperatures and the relatonship between them that I got from here [1] Here's the chart for the SE, sea-level, for Jan only:

post-5986-0-74868200-1421190615_thumb.pn

If you find out the theta-e for your area, you can then read off the maximum value theta-w for any chance of snow. If the theta-w in your area is at the value or below, you can find our the probability of snow using this chart,

post-5986-0-37211900-1421190722_thumb.pn

Essentialy, you take your theta-w (if it's below the value on the first chart) and then read of the probability. Loads of corrections need to be applied such as height etc, but using this method, it looks like snow up here on Bluebell Hill given a probability of around 60%.

If it precipiates, of course.

:)

[1] http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/194

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Agreed. Trough circa 3am may extend snow showers across even to S of London (hence UKMO warning amended). Meanwhile, latest UKV and MOGREPS signal for snow remains particularly strong for Exmoor and Mendips especially. W Country remains under the 522 dam thermal trough until about 0900 tomorrow.

Ian F

setting alarm for 3:30 I have nothing else to do, early birds! the snow that we are going to get is all down in the south west latest radar images show its starting to get its act together down there.

These will come our way its a matter of waiting... thundersnow in tropical Torquay! :)

Tahnks for all your updates Daniel. Good stuff....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

just opened the back door and closed it again, very cold out there, a gentle breeze, no rain, think i  might just snuggle into my bed and dream of snow n :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy:

Posted

Tahnks for all your updates Daniel. Good stuff....

No problem mate... there's some interest to the west moving at a ENE direction sleet/snow, also towards Dorset , quite a lot going on. As you can see the night is still young...

post-19153-0-71118900-1421191113_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just been upstairs and can hear the wind has picked up as it is blowing against the extractor vent in the bathroom, looked out the window and stars are visable now.

Posted

Time for my snow dance showing snow in morning here in welling..... :-) i needed thus to cheer me up

Posted

Info generated shows GFS parallel run is having issues on output which will be rectified by tomorrow's 12Z run.

Yep, gritters are out to treat A & B routes due to falling temps and snow

His on the prowl in the MOD thread ^^ :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Hi guys any updates on this storm weds night on the gusts South east? Thanks

Current GFS guidance suggests gusts around 60 knots quite widely over the SE at around 3am Thurs morning, clearing quickly East.

post-5986-0-62618000-1421193738_thumb.gi

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Well.. I was going to bed but the radar shows increasing activity towards the South-West now associated with that trough. I'm off work for a few days, got the Xbox on, not much excuse to not stay up..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Dew points finally dropping toward OC from the west, now down to +1, but stations west of London down to 0c, so should be good for show to fall from showers later in the night, no high hopes of it settling though in London with temps perhaps a little too high at the surface. Outside London much better chance, especially above 150m.

• Like 2

Posted

Anyone else seen reports of a tornado in Kenton, NW London this afternoon?

All good wishes for tomorrow Amanda! It doesn't looks as if it will be as windy inland as earlier forecasts suggested.

• Like 1

hi all hope you are all having some weather fun! i am in Dublin for a few days. The cold is unreal here, we had some sleet/snow for about 15 minutes but nothing now. Not sure what to expect here snow wise, but hope you get some at home :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Well.. I was going to bed but the radar shows increasing activity towards the South-West now associated with that trough. I'm off work for a few days, got the Xbox on, not much excuse to not stay up..

Interesting that the met office chose not to include Medway in the warning for snow but have for everything else...... I won't be building my hopes up, if I wake to a dusting I'll be nicely surprised  :drunk:

Posted

Still hopeing for a bit of the White stuff, after last years disaster would be nice to see a little ! Wind has got up here in Molesey surrey. May stay up a bit longer. Feeling cold out there â„ï¸