Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobbydog

anyone into archery?

i've been attempting bow-making for a while, had a couple of successes, but eventually they have broken or lifted splinters or got compression fractures. mainly down to flaws in the timber i've been using (its very difficult to find decent bow-making wood)

anyway, in the meantime, my wife bought me a 57lb recurve flatbow for xmas. can anyone recommend a good, cheap target backstop as my sister in law also bought a foam backstop which the arrows go almost completely through. i tried backing this with an old piece of carpet but they go through that as well. even with field points which are supposed to reduce arrow penetration.

(i could try using the kids but that's probably frowned upon and the arrows would probably pass right through them anyway)

A side of pork?

i might need both sides! this bow is faster than the 60lb american long bow i made and that punched a hole in an old land-rover wing i had lying around!

OK, a whole pig, and then do a spit-roast celebration for the village.

That's a dead pig by the way, not one still pootling around.

OK, a whole pig, and then do a spit-roast celebration for the village.

That's a dead pig by the way, not one still pootling around.

lol, i was nearly off to the new forest to hunt wild pigs!

i might need both sides! this bow is faster than the 60lb american long bow i made and that punched a hole in an old land-rover wing i had lying around!

Was going to suggest watermelons, but they would explode :smiliz19:

Was going to suggest watermelons, but they would explode :smiliz19:

nah, they would go through as if they weren't there!

Do you need a licence for these sort of weapons bobby ?

Do you need a licence for these sort of weapons bobby ?

no, you can buy them freely on e-bay etc. mostly because they can't just be picked up and shot by anyone without a degree of skill. whereas a crossbow is much easier to 'point and shoot' therefore they cant be bought so easily

however, bows are very deadly weapons in the wrong hands though not everyone can draw a 50-60lb bow to its full potential.

edit- i should add though, its illegal to hunt with them in the UK.

no, you can buy them freely on e-bay etc. mostly because they can't just be picked up and shot by anyone without a degree of skill. whereas a crossbow is much easier to 'point and shoot' therefore they cant be bought so easily

however, bows are very deadly weapons in the wrong hands though not everyone can draw a 50-60lb bow to its full potential.

edit- i should add though, its illegal to hunt with them in the UK.

Ok I wondered how the law was on these things, I would never hunt/kill again, I've done enough of that years ago and carry enough guilt... In-fact I'd rather see them, Just set up my wildlife camera i got for Christmas and baited a Pheasant in the back field, Anyway I quite fancy a go at making and firing one. Must be pretty satisfying?

600 years ago, we would all have been skilled bowmen without a choice! it was the law back then!

Ok I wondered how the law was on these things, I would never hunt/kill again, I've done enough of that years ago and carry enough guilt... I quite fancy a go at making and firing one. Must be pretty satisfying?

it is. i love the bow my wife bought but it is really satisfying when you make one yourself and you shoot it for the first time. there are loads of tutorials and forums on the internet for advice. the downside is, you need lots of patience as you cant rush making one and you have to be prepared for failure! its frustrating when they break but it teaches you where you went wrong and how to improve on the next one.

that looks ideal but the ad says they only ship within the US. must be able to get one over here though

You have a local archery club? Ask them. but for what you ask thats probably the best and cost effective way not done archery my self since teens, ah the fun of going going up the woods and making a bow and firing at hay bells 

I used to love longbow and did it a lot as a child.

You have a local archery club? Ask them. but for what you ask thats probably the best and cost effective way not done archery my self since teens, ah the fun of going going up the woods and making a bow and firing at hay bells 

there's one very near me but there is a waiting list. archery is one of the fastest growing sports at the moment so very popular.

my garden is about 80m long so i've got plenty of room, i just need a good backstop as decent arrows are expensive and if you've done archery before, you'll know how easily they can bury themselves in relatively short grass!

I'm actually an archery coach and my son shoots for the County. 57lb bow?!!! I sometimes shoot with someone who represented GB in the last two Olympics and he shoots with a 48lb bow - 57lbs sounds like it'll break your shoulder. 

I'm actually an archery coach and my son shoots for the County. 57lb bow?!!! I sometimes shoot with someone who represented GB in the last two Olympics and he shoots with a 48lb bow - 57lbs sounds like it'll break your shoulder.

thing is, i prefer the idea of traditional archery. compound bows feel a bit like cheating so to get the same accuracy the bow needs to be more powerful. (only my view- i like to be at the limit as to what i can manage) anyway, its more satisfying to feel that power as it smacks into the target! i saw a yew warbow on ebay today at 160lb draw!!!

Compound?! Wash your mouth out - we shoot recurve! Anyway, power and accuracy have no relationship - technique and accuracy go together! Shoot whatever you like, of course, but that's a high poundage and could really do your shoulder some damage if you shot it a lot. Seen quite a few people give up because of shooting too high a poundage.

As for a backstop, it'd need to be pretty heavy duty to stop something flying out at that speed, but I know people who use insulated plasterboard...you might want a few layers though!

Compound?! Wash your mouth out - we shoot recurve!

well mine is a flatbow with recurved tips. not a modern takedown with sights or any of that old rubbish....

i aspire to the english longbow- my next bow. the only chivalrous way to kill foreigners, particularly frenchmen!

Compound?! Wash your mouth out - we shoot recurve! Anyway, power and accuracy have no relationship - technique and accuracy go together! Shoot whatever you like, of course, but that's a high poundage and could really do your shoulder some damage if you shot it a lot. Seen quite a few people give up because of shooting too high a poundage.

As for a backstop, it'd need to be pretty heavy duty to stop something flying out at that speed, but I know people who use insulated plasterboard...you might want a few layers though!

actually i find 60 lb max about right for me, im 6'2 and have quite wide shoulders yet with a 28" draw i can manage a higher poundage. i suppose i dont get enough time to shoot enough to do damage! then again im a chippy/builder so i use the right muscles im my job (sawing for example) to cope with the stress of a high poundage bow