Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2014 Most Notable Weather Events in Your Location

MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not to be the same as the summaries thread, I haven't seen one for people to highlight what they've found to be the most notable weather events in their location in 2014. Despite it being a rather arduous year, 2014 has had its moments. I'll start off.

January - the whole month deserves mention for being unusually westerly but Saturday 25th brought a particularly strong squall line with thunder, lightning, hail and strong winds. The highest gust of the year here was measured at 64mph.

February - again, a largely unenjoyable month but Friday 14th was particularly windy (unusually so for such a benign month) with a maximum gust of 57mph. Travelling home from uni in Egham, my train was delayed to Bristol.

March - this month was devoid of such extremes but Sunday 09th was particularly memorable as being warm and almost summerlike while watching a local rugby match. 17.7C was the max with clear skies from start to finish.

April - this month was a particularly forgettable month with no memorable events. The closest I can get is some torrential rain and thunder on Sunday 27th.

May - the warm/hot spell around the middle of the month was particularly welcome in an otherwise unsettled month. Impressive thunderstorms followed on Monday 19th imby but I was in Egham which stayed dry.

June - this month I have fond memories for being largely warm, dry and sunny (sometimes hot!) but Wednesday 04th was particularly cold. It didn't get above 14C imby all day with persistent rain while hail fell in Egham, of the sort that accompanies wintry showers.

July - I also have fond memories of this month but without a doubt the heatwave followed by dramatic thunderstorms on 18th/19th July will be remembered for a long time. I had been in London overnight 17th/18th and received a brief storm then, only to be treated by an even bigger one back home the following night. 

August - As I was out of the country for the arrival of ex-Hurricane Bertha, a brief but potent thunderstorm on the 02nd will be remembered. It had been sunny all morning but around 13.30 a storm cell moved in from the Severn Estuary with a slightly rotating front edge and typical strong downdraught winds ahead of torrential rain. The final third of this month will be remembered for all the wrong reasons!

September - my interest in the weather waned big time in what has to be the most boring September I can remember EXCEPT the mighty thunderstorms of (again) the 18th/19th. It had been unusually humid and summery feeling for so late in the season which led to the onset of a truly electrical storm, possibly more impressive than the July counterparts. The lightning was crazy and the thunder very loud but 07.5mm of rain fell.

October - I quite enjoyed the majority of this month for its variety. The convective spell from 07th-11th was enjoyable but most memorable will be recording 21.4C on Halloween!

November - Despite its variation, nothing sticks out from this month. The closest will be driving back in particularly heavy rain on the evening of 07th which was also accompanied by some thunder and lightning.

December - Yesterday's (29th) frost is the most memorable from this month. Taking a walk at 9am with everything white as the sun came up properly was magical.

There you have it, 2014 has delivered some interesting moments here. What have you remembered/will you remember from this year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Marginal Snow event which dumped 17cm of snow on 26th Dec

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I should add that even though I would consider March, April and September a weather enthusiast's nightmare, they were all very usable months by and large!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

January, the storms, although the storms that happened on st judes day and the day before Christmas eve in 2013 were worse. The amount of thunder storms we had this year, had at least one in every month apart from December, not sure about November, may have been one early in the month, can't remember off hand. A big thunder storm came over from France in August, very good shelf cloud structure in front, with a strong gust front. A thunder storm in October that started at about 2 am and finished at around 12 pm. The cold start to December, and this frosty spell we are in now.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted

For my location, it has been an unremarkable year apart from the mildness of it but the February gale, the night storm of 19th July (the best night storm here for some years) and the dramatic rain to snow transition on Boxing Day evening have been the standouts.

Time-lapses from the last two events

Storm of early hours of 19th July

Boxing Day night rain to snow transition

• Like 3

Posted

Warm, bored and strange year here in Central Spain.

January: Warm and very wet month, 25 raining days. Just 2 snowfalls (1cm :wallbash:  hahahaha). And just 6 night below 0º   :wallbash:  . Lowest temperature -5,5º :help:. High temperature 12,1º

February: Warm and wet month, just 2 snowfalls (one of them 15cm). Lowest temperature -6,2º. High temperature 15,6º

March: Very warm month, 1 snowfall (3,3cm). Lowest temperature -3º ( :help:), high temperature 24,8º (Record)

April: Wet and warm month. Lowest temperature -1,8º. High temperature 28,3º

May: Cool and wet. lowest temperature -1,1º. High temperature 32,0º. 12 Storm days.

June: Cool and wet. Lowest temperature 3,9º. High temperature 33,8º. 7 Storm days.

July: Cool and storms. Lowest temperature 8,0º. High temperature 38º. 9 Storm days.

August: Very warm and bored month: nothing to say. High temperature 39,9º (almost record). Lowest temperature 11,7º.

September: Very warm and wet month: Lowest temperature 2,2º. High temperature 38,7º. Raining days 9

October: Very warm and bored month: Lowest temperature 3,1º. High temperature 25,4º. Raining days 8

November: Warm, dry and bored month: Lowest temperature -2,7º High temperature 23,2º. Raining days 6 (No snowfalls  :cc_confused:  )

December: Very warm and bored month: Lowest temperature -6,4º High temperature 14,1º Raining days 4 (First in my life, no snow days  :cc_confused:   :help: )

I wish next year were snowy and cold. Please dont more years like 2014.

HAPPY NEW YEAR BRITISH FRIENDS  :drunk:

Edited by MeteoMadrid
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So a review

January - Had a few thundery outbreaks here, the month like the rest was dominated by a lot of rain and strong winds, a brief respite in the winds cam mid-month as pressure built over North east Europe, this resulted in weaker systems as they disrupted over the UK, unfortunately this lengthened the spells of rain we received as fronts became slow moving. Temperatures were above normal but this was more due to high overnight minima than mild daytime maxima.

February - First three weeks were wet and stormy. Conditions quietened down in the final week which set up a decent March.

March - A much better month with some decent warmth (20C exceeded on quite a few days). I also saw a brief spell of light snow as a front stalled under a cyclonic easterly flow. It didn't settled but was the only snow I saw this year. 

April - Pretty usable but uneventful month with near normal daytime temperatures but mild nights.

May - Similar to April really

June - A lot of settled weather, the month was split into two halfs, the first was with heights to our east which brought warm weather and some weak thunderstorms. The second half saw heights to our west and a northerly flow. Still pleasantly warm though. A decent summer month.

July - The first two weeks continued where June left off, there were two awful days where temperatures were stuck in the mid-teens as a front stalled over the East of the UK (areas west reached 27C at this point so poor luck really). The second half of July was fantastic, 31C was reached on the 18th with some stunning storms on the morning and evening of the 18th and a superb coastal front storm on the 20th in Southend which cut off Canvey Island due to flooding. The following week was very warm and sunny, before temperatures dipped a little at the end. My favourite month of this year.

August - The first week was warm and bright, the rest was pure garbage with chilly conditions and rain at times.

September - Warm and fairly settled, not particularly eventful for my location.

October - Again quite uneventful, the last week saw 20C exceeded on 4 of the days with the others recording high-teens. This was coupled by a lot of sunshine which was very welcome. The highlight was of course Halloween where the temperature widely hit 22-23C in this region.

November - Another mild month but also quite wet at times as a battle between Atlantic fronts and a block to our east raged for most of the month. Despite our hopes, this battled resulted in a victory for the Atlantic and resulted in the fairly normal December.

December - Normal winter fare really. Some frost nights mixed with some very mild days at times. The Christmas - New year period was my favourite part with some reasonably cold conditions and sharp frost. The Boxing day low gave the most wild conditions of the month with heavy rain and south easterly gales, but no snow. Shame.

Overall after the dire start to the year, it didn't shape up too bad. Most of the mildness came from high overnight temperatures rather than anything else. Though there were some flares of real daytime warmth (July and the end of October). The one thing I did notice that despite more respectable rainfall totals after February, flooding was quite frequent and most likely caused by that excessively wet winter beforehand.

Lastly raise a toast to the first decent plume and thunderstorm event in years. Thanks July 2014.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The only thing that really stood out were the severe flooding and storms in January. Then the thunderstorms in mid July and beginning of August. Had plenty of thunder days this summer, even if most did not turn into a proper storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

A very strange year .

Practically devoid of anything wintery early in the year.

An average spring with some nice weather to the end.

A summer that had no settled spells of summery weather forcast and delivered no 2 days alike yet overall looking back seemed better than average with the exception of a poor august.The only good thing I do remember is the met office getting 'le tour' forcast wrong as it was a great weekend with a poor forcast.

I lost count of how many days here were warmest at 7 pm ,strange!

Nothing much to say about autumn really except a few sharp frosts in November.

A good end to the year with almost a week of snow and frost although not as much as those of you in the peaks...once again not exactly forcast !!!

Happy new year!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Not really good at memorising dates or months, but the worst storm for me here in Essex of last year (worse than St Jude, or any of the 2013 storms, was the Storm of 23/24th of December 2014. I wasn't around for the Burns Day Storm (too young) but boy do I remember That night just before Christmas, gales blowing, house shaking, trees swaying, and all of that racket! We definitely reached 60mph here, maybe a few 70mph gusts, which is the highest I've ever experienced! Around this time was also the east storm surge 

Posted

For my location, it has been an unremarkable year apart from the mildness of it but the February gale, the night storm of 19th July (the best night storm here for some years) and the dramatic rain to snow transition on Boxing Day evening have been the standouts.

Time-lapses from the last two events

Storm of early hours of 19th July

Boxing Day night rain to snow transition

Although this does not effect me directly, this was an awesome cell to view. It was a thunderstorm/hailstorm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

december 2014 was remarkably sunny with 83 hours. about as sunny as december 2010 was. average is 53 hours. january 2015 has started on a similar note.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Here 2014 was definitely the year of the thunderstorm.  After several years with few thunder days 2014 bounced right back, with at least 17 that I can remember (the local average is around 11) and a spectacular 4-hour night time storm in June.