Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms 8-10th January

Skullzrulerz

Posted

I've read it all now. Our neighbours and friends in the middle of a serious national crisis, something that is not only a tragedy but could so easily happen here and you lot are moaning about the lack of coverage for a winter storm.

You're an embarrassment to this forum. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with that, surely they can break for 2 mins or so for the weather forecast.
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyway.... now raining, pressure starting to fall quickly ahead of the next session.

Posted

Looking good for some gusty weather here tonight

Mid fiftys forecast by the met and 60 on XC

Nothing compared to Scotland last night, but still good for my location

Stay safe all!

Posted

It's not like the news is the only place you can find out about the weather. Rolling news will always follow the developing and most interesting story because that's why it's there.

If it's just shots of police standing around, switch off. This story is a huge deal, it strikes at the very fundamentals of freedom of speech, the threat of extremism and the worrying way in which the narrative behind this so-called war on terror is constantly shifting. Maybe some of you are too young to care, but it will affect all of our lives more than a stronger-than-usual Atlantic storm.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes of course, I felt it needed to be said though. Especially as I came on here to see what the latest was because I realised TV wouldn't be covering it.

Fin.

Posted

It's not like the news is the only place you can find out about the weather. Rolling news will always follow the developing and most interesting story because that's why it's there.

If it's just shots of police standing around, switch off. This story is a huge deal, it strikes at the very fundamentals of freedom of speech, the threat of extremism and the worrying way in which the narrative behind this so-called war on terror is constantly shifting. Maybe some of you are too young to care, but it will affect all of our lives more than a stronger-than-usual Atlantic storm.

Don't entity disagree but when not a lot happening other news could be focused like they used too then go back or cut in if things develop.

Anyway back on topic and draw a line.

We had 42 mph last night just been looking at Lightening Wizard they say middle band of strong  convective winds could be likely from 6pm.  Are there charts old or latest development.

gfs_gusts_eur9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Regarding Matt Hugo tweet regarding ec32 update he says he doesn't trust it especially after week 2. All to play for. Certainly looking at the gfs run plenty snowfall Midlands northwards next week I would think with plenty of pm air in the mix. Just hope that storm potential downgrades a 935mb low wouldn't be good at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

terrier at least there plenty of time and runs for downgrades.  Whats the record low for UK

It will downgrade, they largely do nearer to the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Re next weeks potential: I did read somewhere that the the majority of EP members show it going north again. May have been Matt H or Ian F. Lots of uncertainty though.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Re next weeks potential: I did read somewhere that the the majotity of EP members show it going north again. May have been Matt H or Ian F. Lots of uncertainty though.

If it went North, it would be more intense. Given both GFS's handled it similarly, i would be prepared for at least a 960mb storm crossing through Northern Ireland and exiting in the Newcastle area with the strongest winds on the southern flank. Obviously a great deal of time to pass before then. Next GFS 12z will be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

We have a tread here to discuss next weeks potential storms - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82219-atlantic-storms-january-2015/   :)

This one is for discussion on last nights storm and the approaching storm for tonight, which will bring further very windy weather and heavy rainfall and even snow later on. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alert-status;sess=

Latest wind speeds, very strong winds now affecting Ireland and Wales. - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted

Cold front on the latest satellite image moving towards the UK with the unstable cold airmass behind it with wintry/snow showers. Expect the winds to really pick up later as the cold front gets closer, strongest gusts likely just ahead of and during the passage of it. 

post-9615-0-34952000-1420812577_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Not often you see warnings for Wind, Rain, Snow and Ice together! haha nice one Metoffice ...

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1

Posted

NW Wales experiencing the strongest winds atm, Aberdaron 59mph to 72mph http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

terrier at least there plenty of time and runs for downgrades.  Whats the record low for UK

I believe it was last winter at some point.

edited to add, I was wrong, although only just.

“The lowest authenticated air pressure in the British Isles is 925.6 hPa/mbar, recorded at 2145h on 26 January 1884 at Ochtertyre, near Crieff (Scotland)

Last year on Christmas Eve, Stornoway experienced it's lowest since 1884, just below the 1886 recorded 937.6

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 2

Posted

I believe it was last winter at some point.

I think it was January 1993? down to around 910mb as a depression passed close to NW Scotland, not too sure on this one though! The lowest pressure over land could have been January 1884 where a pressure reading of 925.6mb was recorded at Crieff Perthshire. 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted

82mph recorded at Aberdaron!! http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

The wind warning has been updated and extended to cover a larger area http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1420761600

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Winds really picking up here now.

Average Speed 18.4mph

Gusting 51mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated yellow warning for strong winds

Issued at: 1531 on Fri 9 Jan 2015

Valid from: 2100 on Fri 9 Jan 2015

Valid to: 0800 on Sat 10 Jan 2015

Southwesterly winds will increase to bring gusts of 50-60 mph, with the risk of local 70 mph. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A deep depression to the north of Scotland will bring a squally cold front southeast across the country on Friday night and Saturday morning. The strongest winds are likely to occur briefly on the passage of the front, or over a period of several hours over and to the lee of high ground, which could bring strong crosswinds to the A1 and M1.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1420761600&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

2015-1-10_zpse4dbaacf.jpg