Sign in to follow this  
Skullzrulerz

Severe Atlantic storms 8-10th January

post-23079-0-21634300-1420658909_thumb.p Not a patch on what the West are experiencing but fairly strong wind speeds and some strong gusts experienced in the firth of forth over the last few hours.

• Like 1

Taken from Simon Cardy's Twitter page, Euro4 showing gusts around 130mph!! Euro4 overdoing it a tad?!

post-9615-0-47633900-1420659197_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

http://www.forthroadbridge.org/weather

Wind procedure for Forth Road bridge, bearing in mind Westerly Gales funnelling through central Belt early on Friday

quite interesting

Closes completely at > G80mph, wouldn't fancy driving a car across at > G65mph myself

Closed to double deckers at the mo anyway

• Like 1

A real serious situation developing for northern Scotland, at least they are somewhat used to it, if this system was to hit further south there would be major issues.

Will be interesting to see what winds will be recorded.

Taken from Simon Cardy's Twitter page, Euro4 showing gusts around 130mph!! Euro4 overdoing it a tad?!

attachicon.gifeuro44.PNG

I don't think it's overdoing it. ECMWF is similar if not stronger.

My location XC is now showing 97 mph gusts

Mine too Cookie.

A real serious situation developing for northern Scotland, at least they are somewhat used to it, if this system was to hit further south there would be major issues.

Will be interesting to see what winds will be recorded.

The Jan 2005 storm caused loss of life and serious problems here.  You can never get used to it.  Hope everyone stays safe for this one.

• Like 3

As the discussion is now focussed solely on the exceptional wind events forecast over the next 48hrs+ I have renamed it to reflect that. 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Met Office showing 114mph gusts for the North of the Western Isles,

post-6686-0-07043600-1420663932_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Met Office showing 114mph gusts for the North of the Western Isles,

attachicon.gif2.png

:help:  wouldnt like to be there.

Did the wrong thread get locked? Was only started approx. 20 mins ago?

No, we're keeping this one running and have renamed it so it's specifically covering the coming few days.

• Like 1

And I thought it was bad when they forcast force 11 in the dover straight some time last year, good luck to all over there in the coming days, hope it decides to down grade a bit. Can't believe it is upgrading instead of doing the normal downgrading the models do nearer the time.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

That's for INSHORE waters

When you see the sea state for an area of coastal waters described as phenomenal, it's not likely to be an everyday storm...

• Like 1

18z GFS pushes dangerous gradient slightly further south, placing more built up areas of Scotland at risk

gfs-0-30.png?18

• Like 3

18Z GFS has the low slightly further south and a little more intense again at 30 hours.

• Like 1

With the exceptionally strong jet-core aloft, some really incredible winds could reach the surface if a sting-jet would form.

A red alert surely will be issued tomorrow if these charts stay in a similar vein.

• Like 3