Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms 8-10th January

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
Posted

97 mph on xc now in nw scotland

Posted

Winds shifted west in a second along came a rain band and power washed all the cars . Alarms went off was for those few minutes like watching tv footage of hurricane

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The Met Office weather warnings are not widespread enough, because areas such as Wales, Northern England and Central England are already getting gusts at around 60mph. Scotland are nearly at 100mph (currently 97).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

The Met Office weather warnings are not widespread enough, because areas such as Wales, Northern England and Central England are already getting gusts at around 60mph. Scotland are nearly at 100mph (currently 97).

If they think it's warranted they will probably put some flash warnings up.

Posted

126mph on the high ground already. I just attempted to lock the old coal house door which has blown open, but I cant move from the doorstep, wind is far too strong to stand in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

i took a look at latest sat, concerned for Orkney

centre really wrapped up, looks like passing to the north, with that nasty hook wrap around destined for Orkney

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Downgrade for Saturday on the last run much shorter duration and much less windy although it will still be nasty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Exceptional wind strengths being felt across N/NE Scotland with gusts of 70-100mph, just seen a tweet from BBC Weather Stornoway recorded 113mph gust strongest for this location since records began in 1970!! Must be chaos up there atm hope everyone is ok, I would delay all travel plans this morning in the far north - very dangerous situation. It was windy enough here through the night with gusts hitting 65mph, the mean speeds have been higher than this in parts of Scotland!! The strongest of the winds should be out of the way by around 9am http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted

Then a brief lull before the next batch of wet & very windy weather moves in later today with stronger winds affecting areas further south this time, the wind at this stage doesn't look to be as severe across N Scotland but still the N Isles could experience gusts around 80mph or so. 60-70mph across Ireland, S Scotland and N England. 

post-9615-0-80856300-1420785036_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-82226300-1420785043_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-13242600-1420785050_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-94397400-1420785056_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-12444100-1420785065_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-24009900-1420785075_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-72486600-1420785082_thumb.pn

Attention then turns to next week with the prospect of more stormy weather, Especially round the 15th, this has been shown on many runs now.

post-9615-0-39831200-1420785684_thumb.gipost-9615-0-51645900-1420785691_thumb.gipost-9615-0-76559300-1420785698_thumb.gi

Good ensemble support. http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=150

UKMO

post-9615-0-59368300-1420785989_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Of course this didn't constitute a red warning.

"All rail services in Scotland have been suspended until at least 10:00 as a storm caused gusts of more than 100mph (160km/h) to hit the country.

About 70,000 homes have been left without power in the Highlands and Islands as the Atlantic jet stream brought down trees and caused damage."

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

If they ever do issue a red for Scotland I think I'll be running for the cellar straight away.

• Like 4

Posted

Just an observation. At present, the aircraft caught up in this jet stream which are flying eastwards, are doing close on, or well above 700 mph, whereas the aircraft flying west are doing around 300 mph

Just looked on flightradar

Edited by OddSpot
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Still have power here, amazing lol. I was lying listening to a plane circling round and round quite low, husband said thats the wind but I said no it's a plane. Then read on the Scottish forum it was a plane and it got down ok.That worried me more than the wind lol

• Like 1

Just had a look at some of the weather stations across the West and North of Scotland these are some of the top gusts recorded. Please note some of them are not Met Office stations.

Aonach Mor (High Grounds) 117mph 12.15am
Stornoway 113mph 5.00am
Isle of Barra 112mph 3.30am
Butt of Lewis 108mph 5.30am
Lochboisdale 108mph 3.30am
Waterstein 103mph 12.15am
Strathy Point 103mph 6.35am
Aird Uig 98mph 3.00am
Altnaharra 97mph 5.15am
Kirkwall 96mph 5.30am
Wick 93mph 6.15am
North Rona Isle 91mph 6.30am
Benbecula Airport 81mph 1.15am
Tiree 81mph 6.30am
Orsay 68mph 12.30am
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Just spoken to a friend in Orkney and she said it wasn't too bad, very windy but with little damage. Power out in places and a few trees and lamp posts down. Just goes to show how resilient the highlands and islands are when it comes to significant storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Winds cross the border look like they've been severe in places!   It was howling here last night really loud night and we are no where near the main event really.  Local  news saying the Military Road in Northumberland recorded 70mps gusts here and Carlisle Racecourse suffered some damage - mainly a wall collapsing.  So all in all a very interesting period of weather.  It's the next best thing when your'e craving cold and snow and don't get any!

I hope the people affected by power cuts manage to get sorted soon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

According to that great nullschool live windspeed animated globe, Scotland has the strongest winds in the world just now, is that true?

Posted

Some damage around my area as well, roof blown off Carlisle racecourse.

post-9615-0-76425100-1420798216_thumb.jp

• Like 1