Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms 8-10th January

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Incoming!

Thats good, looks like I have 3 hours sunshine to top my batteries up. 

Is Saturdays Low the blob directly below Newfoundland??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This any good to you Mapantz

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/imagery/neatl.html

It's not a bad link but I'm struggling to find hi-res imagery. In particular, the water vapour ones- they're spot on for a sting jet watch.

A lot of sites are Java/flash based, and don't work on a tablet. :(

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Incoming!

Signature of a rapidly deepening depression, nice image.

Calm before the storm here, sunny skies but with a noticeable breeze. Conditions will deteriorate rapidly as we head into the hours of darkness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Does anyone have a good site for Atlantic/European water vapour satellite imagery?

Can't recommend this first link highly enough, it is superb.

http://eumetrain.org/eport/euro_06.php?width=1366&height=768&date=2015010806&region=euro

This loop is also cool just now, that is some speed.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/flash-rgb.html

If you save that link it will default back to the 06z run, all you need to do is select eport > europe from the menu if re-visiting for updated information. The overlays are excellent and also each parameter is linked with explanation.

From the 06z here is WV, SLP and Isotachs at 300hPa, over on the far top left of the image the core in yellow reading 90ms exiting east coast US. That's 200mph.. hence the speed on the noaa loop !

post-7292-0-77181400-1420723625_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 6

Posted

It's not a bad link but I'm struggling to find hi-res imagery. In particular, the water vapour ones- they're spot on for a sting jet watch.

A lot of sites are Java/flash based, and don't work on a tablet. :(

The IMO have a variety of 'up close' satellite presentations.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/myndir/seviri/2015/01/08/

seviri_nat_wv_high_20150108_1300.png  seviri_nat_airmass_20150108_1300.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Another superb source of imagery is http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/, you can create a free account and view polar orbiting satellite imagery from both the NOAA sats and the EUMETSAT sats (Metop) :)

Edited by Mesosphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

realy great to see action weather but not so good for those locations taking a battering .atleast the met office now have plenty of warnings out ,they have also taken into account that any low pressure systems will always have a more northerly drift in any future runs as my informant as just informed me on his finishing of shift .its all down to years of Media scrutiny ,and knowing how to move the goalposts compared to years gone  by .never forget the problems forecasting the great blizzard of Feb 18th 1978 ,right up to t12 hrs many possible locations of the weatherfront and its position ,phone calls frantically going between bristol and regional weather centres in the n/west and republic of ireland ,many a but got kicked but good came out of it .a fair chance now of much colder 850mb temp getting drawn south later next week ,so i will certainly be keeping an eye on Met office updates Fax and ecm but as we approach things could get interesting and change at short notice ,cheers gang very interesting hopefully times ahead . :cold:  :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

realy great to see action weather but not so good for those locations taking a battering .atleast the met office now have plenty of warnings out ,they have also taken into account that any low pressure systems will always have a more northerly drift in any future runs as my informant as just informed me on his finishing of shift .its all down to years of Media scrutiny ,and knowing how to move the goalposts compared to years gone  by .never forget the problems forecasting the great blizzard of Feb 18th 1978 ,right up to t12 hrs many possible locations of the weatherfront and its position ,phone calls frantically going between bristol and regional weather centres in the n/west and republic of ireland ,many a but got kicked but good came out of it .a fair chance now of much colder 850mb temp getting drawn south later next week ,so i will certainly be keeping an eye on Met office updates Fax and ecm but as we approach things could get interesting and change at short notice ,cheers gang very interesting hopefully times ahead . :cold:  :drinks:

Yes, our local forecaster has said although Shetland could miss the worst of the winds tonight, there is a risk that the storm may track further north and affect us - hence the yellow warning from the MO. He also said Saturday storm may be quite bad for us, but not so bad for the mainland.

• Like 1

Posted

12z GFS(P) going for 968mb Centre off to the NW of Scotland..

12-515PUK.GIF?08-12

12z GFS a little more to the north? 957mb?

12-515UK.GIF?08-12

GFS wind gusts,

12-289UK.GIF?08-12

GFS(P) wind gusts

12-289PUK.GIF?08-12

Waiting for EURO4 & ECMWF now :)

Posted

975mb at 3pm.

Deeper than forecast on the charts so far? Or is it on Schedule?

12z GFS(P) has it at 980mb at 6pm, :S

gfs-0-6.png?12

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Arran just got swallowed up by what looks like the first signs of the storm. Hope it's still there when we wake up in the morning.

post-10520-0-84179400-1420733472_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

I imagine they'll be some quick transatlantic flights going west to east tonight/early tomorrow!  

hgt300.png

Some very streamlined middle/high level cloud here in the last half hour

• Like 1

Posted

Spent contrails are really shifting here, moving faster than the low fair weather cumulus

Posted

eur_full.gif?1420731750

The image at that point is just based on the model. Later in the hour when the observation data comes in, the image gets automatically redrawn with a blend of model+data.

Or we may need to wait until 6pm. I think that the full data only comes in every 3 hours if I remember right.

Edited by radiohead