Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms 8-10th January

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Why on earth would you suggest that? It's quite ridiculous.

You seem to have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

Both Jo and other forecasters said red warnings could be very possible later, Gazza was going on last night's charts, not this mornings.

The rain is very heavy and will last most of the morning, some rivers are still high. Not ridiculous at all.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Don't see the rain as needing a warning either.

Posted

You seem to have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning.

Both Jo and other forecasters said red warnings could be very possible later, Gazza was going on last night's charts, not this mornings.

The rain is very heavy and will last most of the morning, some rivers are still high. Not ridiculous at all.

No I haven't got out of wrong side of the bed. I am merely making the point that your comment, "maybe met taking eye off ball?" is completely unjustified in the context that I suspect they know a little bit more regarding the current situation than you do. Or me for that matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

06z GFSp, looks like a rough ride for Scotland

3am

ukgust.png

6am

ukgust.png

Highest winds look fairly short-lived but if I recall Bawbag was fairly similar

Edited by Mesosphere
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Moving through very quickly - by 8 am the strongest winds are out in the North Sea. Interesting to watch the track of this coming in as my local forecaster said that it could track further north last minute.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

M.O Amber warning has now been extended through the Central Belt on Friday morning

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

And the yellow warning has been extended into N England.

Posted

In response to the comments about a rain warning for the south this morning, not often I participate in criticising the MO but judging by the flooded roads round here and the fact that the main train line up to London from this part of the south coast is flooded then maybe a yellow warning was warranted for this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Blizzards possible for high ground in the north Saturday and into Sunday

Issued at: 1057 on Thu 8 Jan 2015

Valid from: 0600 on Sat 10 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1200 on Sun 11 Jan 2015

Heavy showers are likely across the warning area, these falling as snow at low levels across much of Scotland and Northern Ireland, but over high ground further south. Within the area there could be localised small snow accumulations away from immediate coasts at low levels in the north, whilst over high ground 5-15 cm may occur in places. Temperatures will fall significantly during Saturday, this also posing the risk of ice where showers occur. The public should be aware of the risk of some difficult driving conditions.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A strong, cold, unstable northwesterly airstream will affect the UK on Saturday and at first on Sunday, bringing showers across many northern and western regions, some of which heavy. Showers will fall as snow to low levels at times in the north and over high ground further south within the warning area. As temperatures are expected to take a plunge, icy conditions are also likely on some roads. Snow showers will also be accompanied by strong or very strong winds and this will likely give blizzard conditions over higher ground, leading to treacherous driving conditions on higher routes.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1420848000&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted

The rain in the south this morning is really heavy and SHOULD have had warnings. Lets now move on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm looking at the last 2 charts posted by Mesophere and it looks like it's curling round and coming back into the Forth, is that right? I'm in the borders but high up on an exposed site on the side of a moor, and that looks like it's getting worse for me lol

Posted

The rain in the south this morning is really heavy and SHOULD have had warnings. Lets now move on.

You may be right. Matt hugo twitter-"Thank goodness it's moving through quickly as models not handled the rain across the S today all well. Far more extensive and widespread."

• Like 1

Posted

You may be right. Matt hugo twitter-"Thank goodness it's moving through quickly as models not handled the rain across the S today all well. Far more extensive and widespread."

I wonder if the models are handling these storms as bad as this mornings rain! :)

Posted

Um I don't suppose anybody in scotland wants to come to my house tomorrow morning at half 5 and walk my dogs for me? Not looking forward to it much

Posted

"Exceptional lee gusts for NE england and Yorkshire"

From jo.

I'm perfectly placed for this. Will report my gusts as they happen, with photo evidence. Last winter these lee events caused massive damage round here with top gusts of 89.4 and 99.2 mph before my annemometer was destroyed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House
Posted

And it was as clear cut as that. One minute it was hissing down, the next it was sunny.

Posted

"Exceptional lee gusts for NE england and Yorkshire"

From jo.

I'm perfectly placed for this. Will report my gusts as they happen, with photo evidence. Last winter these lee events caused massive damage round here with top gusts of 89.4 and 99.2 mph before my annemometer was destroyed.

Long time lurker popping my head above the parapet here - what is a lee gust? I've seen reference to this term on both Netweather and the MO, but Googling hasn't turned up a definitive answer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Long time lurker popping my head above the parapet here - what is a lee gust? I've seen reference to this term on both Netweather and the MO, but Googling hasn't turned up a definitive answer...

Lee Gust has starred in several Hong Kong Police crime flicks......

oh, wrong one.

Lee Gusts are caused when the winds cross a higher area, ridged peaks etc and then increase in strength and speed on the other side. 

Edited by Paul
Is it really worth it?

Posted

Lee Gust has starred in several Hong Kong Police crime flicks......

oh, wrong one.

I know, I have the same problem with Outflow Wind and Carry On films.

Lee Gusts are caused when the winds cross a higher area, ridged peaks etc and then increase in strength and speed on the other side. 

So is this because the hills reduce the amount of available space for the winds to blow in, thereby concentrating the energy? I'm assuming it's not that the Wind Gnomes are able to run faster downhill.

Edited by Davethedog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Here we go, first sighting on surface charts from 1200 update, rocket fuel being added.

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2015010812&size=large〈=en&area=eur

post-7292-0-64660300-1420720625_thumb.gipost-7292-0-45481800-1420720794_thumb.jp

• Like 3