Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

First with the bad news as ever IDO!

Luckily history shows a SSW isn't always required for a cold spell.

Yeah - thank swearing is not big or cleveredy-doo-da!  :smiliz39:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

News from IF re latest UK Met: 

fergieweather

New @metoffice data indicates no major Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) is likely to occur "in the forseeable future". Moreover (cont'd)04/01/2015 19:51

fergieweather

Cont'd... they note their monthly and seasonal modelling from back on Dec 27 dismissed the prospect. They add that a... (cont'd)04/01/2015 19:53

fergieweather

Cont'd (3)...minor warming will be of minor significance, & resurgence of Polar Vortex/Polar Night Jet through nxt 2 weeks to 'near-normal'04/01/2015 19:57

fergieweather

(4) Finally, they add "The model ouput of other reputable forecasting organisations is also in agreement with the Met Office model trends."04/01/2015 19:59

fergieweather

(5) The @metoffice view re stratospheric situation was valid as of 1400hrs today. Clearly, the rest of winter cannot be forecast in detail.04/01/2015 20:03

I suppose that puts that to bed for this month.

And the good news is ??

• Like 1

Posted

First with the bad news as ever IDO!

Luckily history shows a SSW isn't always required for a cold spell.

Also it is a long term forecast and we know how reliable they are - it certainly does not put anything to bed.

Edited by swilliam
  • Like 8

Posted

Also it is a long term forecast and we know how reliable they are - it certainly does not put anything to bed.

Strat forecasts are usually very accurate, so startospherically speaking, it does. Not saying that the troposphere won't by the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think the good news is we still have GEFS 12z perturbations showing this, and there are many more also showing cold and very unsettled weather with a risk of snow and ice days...keep the faith coldies, lots of polar maritime to come, and probably arctic air too, the gefs 12z mean continues to trend colder by mid month.

post-4783-0-73538800-1420403836_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-13468700-1420403848_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-69610200-1420403855_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50402700-1420403872_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

Steve - I assume they are referring to the mid/upper strat zonal flow which is recovering back up to 45m/s by day 10.

Of course Ian, if there is a snow event mid month, joe public will believe the stuff which was predicated on the SSW in the media.

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

NOR does it in any way rule-out colder conditions during the rest of winter.

I've a feeling that comment will be construed by some (actually the Daily Express) to mean that Met Office now agrees with experts that Britain will become like Siberia bla bla bla   :)

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 1

Posted

I've a feeling that comment will be construed by some (actually the Daily Express) to mean that Met Office now agrees with experts that Britain will become like Siberia bla bla bla   :)

Maybe!   But what is does mean is that the UK does  NOT  'need' a SSW  for us to have a cold and snowy spell(all areas).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

As far as strat forecasts are concerned, what kind of time period is the "foreseeable future"? Is it similar to the GFS i.e. about two weeks, or is it longer?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Maybe!   But what is does mean is that the UK does  NOT  'need' a SSW  for us to have a cold and snowy spell(all areas).

He just simply means to clarify the drama regarding "will we , won't we " see a SSW short term . I really don't see the need to analyse every single word and dissect it to the letter !

It's simply just a clarification of where we are stratospherically speaking , and not a weather forecast .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

As far as strat forecasts are concerned, what kind of time period is the "foreseeable future"? Is it similar to the GFS i.e. about two weeks, or is it longer?

Probably means no stratospheric driving force until February, but as others have said there are other drivers that can bring cold weather. To be honest it is nothing new as posts from the strat thread have pretty much said this (minor split followed by the polar vortex recovery with no real renewed warming). So it's up to other driving forces to do the business with the most interest in the MJO. Having a look at the day 10 charts, the GFS does something interesting over the Newfoundland (It's another cut off low and heights bridging from Canada into the Atlantic). A very similar set up to December, which perhaps re-enforces the notion of a similar cold snap to the last week of December.

GFS

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Parallel

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Similar low but no bridging ridge, the low dives south east into Iberia.

ECM

ECH1-240.GIF?04-0

A weak low there, difficult to tell.

Edited by Captain shortwave
Added charts :)
  • Like 1

Posted

I think the ship might have already sailed for January and theres no sign of any further strong warmings. We might just have to hope for other factors to become more favourable like the MJO.

• Like 1

Posted

He just simply means to clarify the drama regarding "will we , won't we " see a SSW short term . I really don't see the need to analyse every single word and dissect it to the letter !

It's simply just a clarification of where we are stratospherically speaking , and not a weather forecast .

No drama from me, just stating a fact.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Thanks for the replies.

As recently as two weeks ago, an SSW was expected in early January, which turned out to be wrong. Is it unrealistic to hope that the forecasts of no SSW for the rest of the month could also be inaccurate?

Sorry, just how my rather unscientific mind is thinking!

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

:closedeyes: Please calm down :closedeyes:

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not much hope of something cold being given to us by the models or from an SSW then.

I might start buying the daily express as a source of hope to cling onto! :-)

Well fantasy is probably the best you'll get this winter, writing is on the wall and I'll eat my own hat if we end up with decent cold spell. Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 7

Posted

ECM De Bilt ensembles still develop a colder cluster towards the end but not as yet a strong signal in terms of deeper cold for there.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

The wind directions only really begin to show some interest towards the 17th with a more nw element with a few breaking towards the ne and north.

I think anything of note for the UK  if it happens will show up around that time, before then some cooler conditions at times but generally nothing of note.

The will it or won't it MJO maybe that variable that could tip things either way.

• Like 1

Posted

Extended ECM ens continue to show a scandi low anomoly and a med upper trough thereafter (smile john) ! The scandi low anomoly sustains. With the euro high anomoly gone, that leaves a decent envelope.

Also, developments with the vortex which stretches across from a weak centre Baffin over to ne Siberia ( note ed's post above). Coupled with the way the gefs dealt with the vortex late on and things are clearly afoot over the polar field.

going to see some weird and wonderful week 2 runs over the next few days.

Why are you looking at De bilt ensembles when the bias is to a nw polar maritime scenario..?

It's about the wind direction, not the temps. Point taken about a windward flow off the north sea

• Like 3

Posted

Why are you looking at De bilt ensembles when the bias is to a nw polar maritime scenario..?

I'm looking for signs that troughing will get sufficiently east and se also given the set up cyclonic colder there will likely be a bit colder especially for more northern areas of the UK.

De Bilt isn't only useful for easterlies, you get dew points and wind directions which as we know what the  set up could  be can be extrapolated as a guide for the UK.

The only thing the ECM offers for UK cities is  just rainfall and temperature, you can correlate wind clusters over there and dew points which can tell you whether the air is continental based or Atlantic based.

Hopefully that answers your question.

• Like 9