Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The models are continuing to dangle a wintry carrot in FI with Arctic air flooding south and height rises to the NW and a possibly sustainable cold pattern shown by the GEFS 06z control run.

post-4783-0-38917900-1420377169_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-30321900-1420377175_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

So after all it looks very much like the Met winter forecast is going to be correct, over the signs and signals that many thought would Bring us a cold heart of winter.

Yes 6 weeks left etc, but there is very little in the output to suggest a cold spell is even close. Northerly/north easterly that was showing on GFS has now gone, the Strat warming fades away with nothing showing in the depths of the low res.

PM flow won't bring widespread snow/ice days. I just can't see where deep cold is going to come from now. Please if you do, then enlighten me.

In some ways, this has been more frustrating than last winter. At lest we had some decent storms to entertain us.

Great post I think there has been to much emphasis on stratospheric warming this winter,at the end of the day it's were the Hp cells set up home, and we're the jet Goes.The models have been very poor past 168hr and the Azores high is a nightmare for our winters.I think it's a roll of the dice to get the set up in our latitude.Still haven't given up not over by a long way,and there are some brilliant contributers on this thread which make it more interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Positives! :)  ................look at the 850 mean towards the end of the ensembles - now flattening out near the -5 line - will it go any lower? Something to follow :)

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&x=306&y=141&ville=Londres 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

The models are continuing to dangle a wintry carrot in FI with Arctic air flooding south and height rises to the NW and a possibly sustainable cold pattern shown by the GEFS 06z control run.

Indeed frosty, I'm unsure where the negativity is coming from this morning,06 ensembles for me are very very promising for a cold spell in mid Jan

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Indeed frosty, I'm unsure where the negativity is coming from this morning,06 ensembles for me are very very promising for a cold spell in mid Jan

Yes there have been lots of charts similar to what I posted in recent days, too many for anyone to dismiss the possibility of a major cold spell developing, I'm not about to throw in the towel with 65 percent of official winter to go.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Am I missing something here,  1-3c at 6 am in the morning in the middle of Jan, is hardly dream material is it.

I know that they would be lower on the ground, yes its a trend maybe.

I hope that you will be posting similar charts with temps around -4 to -8 over majority of the country soon. :clap::D

Edited by seaside 60
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The trend continues...

gensnh-0-1-300.pnggensnh-13-1-312.pnggensnh-19-1-312.pnggensnh-20-1-336.pnggfsnh-0-324.png?6

It now starts at day 11...Let's get the heights into Greenland before worrying about what happens after...

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Decent signal for mid atlantic ridge.

gensnh-21-5-312.png

This has been showing for days within the GEFS anoms.

gensnh-21-5-384.png

Not really going anywhere trough sinking into europe.

• Like 5

Posted
Yes, I am sensing quite a lot of reverse psychology in this forum today. Too many burnt fingers already this season. I think people are a lot more hopeful than they are letting on! The GFS trend to build heights to our north west continues and it has come down to the 11 day mark. It tends to model this area very well imo. I am going to remain positive. Without hope we are nothing.
  • Like 7

Posted

Yes the trend continues, but two weeks away and certainly not across the board. Far too risky to think it will turn out like that. If I was a betting man then it would all be on zonal for the rest of January.

A couple of days ago, people were posting day 10-16 charts as proof the zonal conditions would continue. Now they are showing cold and heights building into Greenland, the charts are suddenly unreliable again. The trend starts at day 11, so we should see tomorrow if the other models give support to the GFS, if they do then I'd say it's odd on that heights will build into Greenland. What happens after that, is open to question. It could just be a short cold snap, or it could be something more sustained.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 6

Posted

Am I missing something here,  1-3c at 6 am in the morning in the middle of Jan, is hardly dream material is it.

I know that they would be lower on the ground, yes its a trend maybe.

I hope that you will be posting similar charts with temps around -4 to -8 over majority of the country soon. :clap::D

There max temps during the whole day, not at 6am. If you are hoping for max temps of -4 to -8 your going to be rather disappointed!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Talking of temperatures, an 'ice day' looking likely across part of the Midlands, northern Home Counties and parts of East Anglia today. Temps still 0C in places like Cambridge, Coventry Airport and Lakenheath (Suffolk), a few spots -1C.

06z GFS likely to be a good 3-4C off the mark with the maxes and even min temps for 15z this afternoon:

Min temp 15z

post-1052-0-57352600-1420383599_thumb.pn

Max temp 15z

post-1052-0-45808100-1420383637_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

A week of wet and windy zonal conditions, with alternating tm and pm air looks fairly nailed on, but I can't understand the despondency from some of the posters on here.

Although the vortex continues to rage on our side of the pole, it remains displaced and very fragmented overall. Bags of potential beyond next week, as the heights on he other side of the pole continue to shift around, with plenty of teasers showing up in fi.

I feel it is only a matter of time before the fragmented vortex lines up in our favour. Deep fi shows this nicely, with some good Atlantic heights linking with heights that are currently on the other side of the pole.

In short, loads of potential beyond next week and interesting model watching. For those who are vulnerable to despondency, I'd suggest having a few days off the models, and coming back on Friday/Saturday, when you might be seeing a very interesting pattern emerging into the reliable timeframe.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

There max temps during the whole day, not at 6am. If you are hoping for max temps of -4 to -8 your going to be rather disappointed!

Apologies, I thought they were the temps for 06am, not the max temps for the day.

Based on my thoughts, -4 to -8 for 6am, I really hope I am not disappointed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Talking of temperatures, an 'ice day' looking likely across part of the Midlands, northern Home Counties and parts of East Anglia today. Temps still 0C in places like Cambridge, Coventry Airport and Lakenheath (Suffolk), a few spots -1C.

06z GFS likely to be a good 3-4C off the mark with the maxes and even min temps for 15z this afternoon:

Min temp 15z

attachicon.giftmGFS_15.png

Max temp 15z

attachicon.giftGFS-15z.png

In defence of the GFS they are right for here in Chelmsford. Shocking despite every temperature station recording sub-zero minima, we didn't even get a ground frost here with temperatures seemingly stuck at 3/4c since yesterday. Really depended on where skies cleared and where freezing fog stuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Min temp 15z

Max temp 15z

yep not got above 0c in brum today
  • Like 1

Posted

A week of wet and windy zonal conditions, with alternating tm and pm air looks fairly nailed on, but I can't understand the despondency from some of the posters on here.

Although the vortex continues to rage on our side of the pole, it remains displaced and very fragmented overall. Bags of potential beyond next week, as the heights on he other side of the pole continue to shift around, with plenty of teasers showing up in fi.

I feel it is only a matter of time before the fragmented vortex lines up in our favour. Deep fi shows this nicely, with some good Atlantic heights linking with heights that are currently on the other side of the pole.

Unfortunately, the stratospheric vortex looks like re-organising over the pole by day 6, currently it's in a temporary split:

post-1052-0-48233600-1420384681_thumb.gipost-1052-0-46391800-1420384699_thumb.gi

Well organised PV day 10:

post-1052-0-23752100-1420385024_thumb.gi

The strat vortex appears to be well coupled with the 500mb trop vortex which looks to tighten up over Greenland as we look ahead, so not a great prognosis in the medium range.

However, longer range, the MJO may work in our favour if it reaches at least phase 6, but better phases 7/8/1. Unfortunately the CPC MJO dynamic model forecasts are erratically updating atm. So uncertainty on which direction the MJO is headed for now.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Min temp 15z

Max temp 15z

Yes, Marham looks like it might have maxed out at -1.6C.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/u127sby66

So an ice day. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

boom

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Just looking at tonights 12z GFS's and in the shorter term, the older brother wants to give Scotland a wild night on Thursday, into Friday morning, but the younger brother isnt interested...

GFS:

gfs-0-108.png?12

GFS(P):

gfs-0-108.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS op has AH playing spoiler and so not a particularly good shot at snow falling in the zonal flow. GFSp though could be quite wintry as well as stormy (that would give blizzards over any high ground and snow likely falling to low levels in the North.

gfsnh-0-150.png?12gfsnh-0-156.png?12

Edit.

UKMO also has a deeper trough so hopefully ECM will go the same way and GFS op is wrong.

UN144-21.GIF?04-17

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just looking at tonights 12z GFS's and in the shorter term, the older brother wants to give Scotland a wild night on Thursday, into Friday morning, but the younger brother isnt interested...

GFS:

gfs-0-108.png?12

GFS(P):

gfs-0-108.png?12

GFS P seems to be going for Saturday now

gfs-0-144.png?12

As that low leaves the next one isn't far behind

gfs-0-210.png?12gfs-0-240.png?12

• Like 1