Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

It does: via MOGREPS...The GM to T+144 is only a facet of the Unified Model output.

But it's not freely available! :shok:

We should all raise money so we can have a Netweather model :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

Some help required here is my take on the dynamic trop. chart roughly correct?

Chart courtesy weatherbell.

Ridge western US with cold plunge to the east. WAA western Atlantic Greenland with unstable cooler NW airstream NW Europe.

post-12275-0-67148800-1420318770_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Interesting to see signs in the later stages of the models for height rises in Greenland despite a strong looking PV. This would tie in with my thinking of the OPI...it's not a reference to how strong the PV will look over the following winter, but how strong its roots are and hence how vulnerable it would be to the right kind of pressure being exerted upon it.  My hope is that under the surface, it's not very strong at all and that one day soon it will be attacked from the Atlantic and give way!

• Like 1

Posted

EC 12Z clusters currently offer a strong mirror to NCEP solutions post-T+312, i.e. with pronounced Atlantic ridging and broadscale trough diving to E. However, as I commented yesterday, there's a way to go before this emerging trend yields any worthwhile confidence and equally, whether it's merely transient.

i was just about to ask you this ian. the mean towards the end of week 2 actually show a little upper ridge appearing iceland/greenland and there is a whiff of WAA against the low mean in the greenland locale.

setting this against the low anomoly to our ne slowly sinking s across nw europe and you ave a similar picture to the GEFS.  at this stage, i wouldnt say there is any evidence it would be transient or longer lasting. the mean vortex appearing to shrink back to canada but sticking some energy into the northern arm at the same time. now if we have a cut off gricelandic ridge by that time ...........

• Like 2

Posted

EC 12Z clusters currently offer a strong mirror to NCEP solutions post-T+312, i.e. with pronounced Atlantic ridging and broadscale trough diving to E. However, as I commented yesterday, there's a way to go before this emerging trend yields any worthwhile confidence and equally, whether it's merely transient.

Thanks fergie that saves me looking at the mean anomaly and being hung out to dry. I noticed the GEFS went for this but backed down at T384.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

i was just about to ask you this ian. the mean towards the end of week 2 actually show a little upper ridge appearing iceland/greenland and there is a whiff of WAA against the low mean in the greenland locale.

setting this against the low anomoly to our ne slowly sinking s across nw europe and you ave a similar picture to the GEFS.  at this stage, i wouldnt say there is any evidence it would be transient or longer lasting. the mean vortex appearing to shrink back to canada but sticking some energy into the northern arm at the same time. now if we have a cut off gricelandic ridge by that time ...........

Hi Ba Sorry what is WAA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Blimey Ian, T+312? That is a long straw.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Precisely...!!

Ok a fraction earlier T222 with no ridge, the CFS has a bit of an onslaught. Is the CFS just a gimmick?

cfsnh-0-222.png?06

Posted

Ok a fraction earlier T222 with no ridge, the CFS has a bit of an onslaught. Is the CFS just a gimmick?

cfsnh-0-222.png?06

EC still signals the potential for deep lows over UK at T+264 before things then hint at a relaxation.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Wintry weather looks possible for next weekend according to the models for a greater part of the uk, of course a very unreliable timeframe but something worth while keeping our eyes on...

post-6830-0-85848300-1420320367.gif

post-6830-0-27427100-1420320494_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-62542000-1420320546_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

A very unsettled output from all the models for the foreseeable future, but with a trend to cooler conditions generally with a bit more buckle in the Jetstream once we get through next week.

Next week looks very wet in NW parts and preety unpleasant thanks to strong winds-  a very typical synoptical outlook for early January.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I like how the Ecm 12z ensemble mean is trending tonight, progressively colder and beyond T+240 hours it would continue to turn colder and colder, big improvement from last night.

post-4783-0-82500900-1420321051_thumb.gi

• Like 7

Posted

I like how the Ecm 12z ensemble mean is trending tonight, progressively colder and beyond T+240 hours it would continue to turn colder and colder, big improvement from last night.

Was just going to comment on that Frosty,looks to be trending towards colder zoniality with not much

opportunity for milder interludes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

setting this against the low anomoly to our ne slowly sinking s across nw europe and you ave a similar picture to the GEFS.  at this stage, i wouldnt say there is any evidence it would be transient or longer lasting. the mean vortex appearing to shrink back to canada but sticking some energy into the northern arm at the same time. now if we have a cut off gricelandic ridge

HAHA, ive not heard that term before BA :D  I like it!

Some great posts tonight from many people, very interesting to read. Been some good MJO info to aid my learning and a lot of cautiously optimistic reasoned posts.

I do really hope that we are now starting to see the emergance of something exciting and longer lasting than a toppler. Just maybe....coldies patience is about to be rewarded.......

• Like 5

Posted

NAEFS not quite as inspirational as ecm (and that isnt a snowfilled nirvana as yet) - looks like the canadian ens responsible for that.  worth giving them a day or so to see if they catch on. 

going back to the poor analog confidence on the gefs superens mean from yesterday, it gets even stranger with the day 8 analog dropping to 0.72 whilst day 11 has risen to a more respectable 0.82.

given that coldies are more interested in the latter stages of the output, i suppose thats a good sign.  i always think a weaker analog means something is less likely to verify.

• Like 3

Posted

Was just going to comment on that Frosty,looks to be trending towards colder zoniality with not much

opportunity for milder interludes.

Yes echo these thoughts - a pattern not too dissimilar to early-mid December which delivered a lot of snow to higher ground in the north in particular, I would expect a colder version of that said period  which would certainly increase likelihood of preety cold conditions more so in the north.

A theme of the winter so far has been a trend for milder interludes to be relatively shortlived with a greater dig of polar maritime air, the events of Christmas being a good example despite the very mild interlude in the run in to the festive period.

So whilst the models continue to show a very mobile atlantic set up - by no means are they showing a sustained mild SW airflow dominated affair - in contrast to last winter.

• Like 7