Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted

The GFS is known to have a bias towards continuing any tropical convection into phases 7/8. I can't sem to get the link to work currently but the bias corrected NCPB ensembles normally autocorrect the NCPE. If someone can put these up I'd be grateful.

Here you go

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=384&code=0&mode=0&carte=0&bc=1

To access via meteociel just go to the GEFS and you can get them from there.

Posted

Here you go

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=384&code=0&mode=0&carte=0&bc=1

To access via meteociel just go to the GEFS and you can get them from there.

I think Chiono is looking for the MJO one Jason, typically that page has gone blank, some of the others are there and its clear theres disagreement:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

NCPB and NCPE nowhere to be seen , perhaps they're in the process of updating. The MJO update I posted earlier suggests NOAA are confident of a strong MJO signal for two weeks from the date of that update which was 29th December.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

The GFS is known to have a bias towards continuing any tropical convection into phases 7/8. I can't sem to get the link to work currently but the bias corrected NCPB ensembles normally autocorrect the NCPE. If someone can put these up I'd be grateful.

Unfortunately all the GEFS images on the CPC site are blank today.

Last update I saw (Thursday) had the raw output headed in to phase 7, but I did not get a chance to peruse the BC output

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

GEFS 12z control run turns into an EPIC for cold lovers, stunning charts with the UK going into the freezer, and staying that way for some time :- )

post-4783-0-40992300-1420311260_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-27304600-1420311266_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-90371800-1420311274_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

GEFS 12z mean continues to trend colder through FI, as it has done in recent days.

post-4783-0-42437600-1420311891_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'm liking the ECM 12z 

IMBY not far off -6 uppers for 3 days at the end of the run!

ECH0-192.GIF?03-0

ECH0-216.GIF?03-0

ECH0-240.GIF?03-0

Not quite. There will be a warm sector push through which will negate any snow chances for a chunk of that period which is easily missed because of the 24h steps.

It is another step toward a colder zonal pattern setting up later next week with snow chances, more especially int he North, though.

I still feel a heavy snowfall is possible somewhere in the run up to mid month although it is not likely to stick around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A very disturbed ECM run this evening from mid-week onwards. Gales/severe gales at times, very volatile and fluid situation looks like taking hold next week where potential windstorm developments could occur with relatively short lead times. 

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

GEFS 12z control run turns into an EPIC for cold lovers, stunning charts with the UK going into the freezer, and staying that way for some time :- )

Not sure what is so EPIC about that chart Frosty but folk shouldn't also take their eyes off the here and now as tomorrow is forecast to witness Maximum Temperatures of 1c to 2c in some parts of the UK, more especially in the fog bound Midlands, just out of curiousity. Although I don't see much entertainment for coldies this side of next weekend at the earliest, the low pressure system signalled for the period from 8th through to 10th January will be one to watch, given that its track and intensity is unknown at this range. It may become another of my game-changing low pressure sytems should it exit the NH Jet at a favourable angle and dive into Europe, all conjecture currently and at the realms of early FI anyhow.

For now, the more usual setup of late continues.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81813-southwest-and-central-southern-england-weather-chat/?p=3105688

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

Until this MJO discrepancy exists then what happens from mid month is up in the air.

Personally I find little to get excited about if the sum total of the patience being shown by members in here is  three hours of slush and the BBC sticking a reporter on some high level cross Pennine route exclaiming that the country is gripped by some snowfest!

For this reason we have to hope that the MJO manages to not hit the buffers before reaching phase 7 and 8, although this won't guarantee sledges given the winter so far it might at least deliver sufficient amplification and give a better chance that some proper Arctic air can blast through the current UK defences!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

This is a great new way to fritter away the remains of your holiday: I just did. Sort of like top trumps for weather:

http://www.ready.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php

I only chose Helsinki as the target city as it is the nearest in line to northern parts of UK who looked lined up to get the next incoming gale.

post-22381-0-42167300-1420312835_thumb.j

Edited by Woollymummy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

My own thoughts on the changes around D12 is that it is like Tamara mentions, a repeat of what we had just after Christmas. That was a direct result of a couple of blocks of heights moving east from the US and reacting with the Azores. We got some amplification, that promised an Atlantic ridge and was eventually a toppler.

This time the heights exiting the US look to be even stronger, ECM says 1060mb (probably over egged). That will be ejected from the US around D10:

post-14819-0-94029900-1420313017_thumb.p  post-14819-0-32959900-1420313017_thumb.p

These will around D12 bang up against the Azores: post-14819-0-42516900-1420313101_thumb.p

The Azores has no where to go so will either support those heights (Greenland ridge) or the Azores will be forced east, and maybe build a MLH. The hi-res going the Greenland route suggests at the moment that is what the GFS is seeing (MJO forcing leading that?). However at the same time we have a split jet with a mish-mash of upper lower heights which could create short wave spoilers on the northern arm of the jet or alternatively develop an upper level low to further support any heights:

post-14819-0-30497400-1420313721_thumb.p

So I am not sure it is a MJO signal, just the normal progression of a strong mobile high; it has to go somewhere! Can that force mid-lat disruption like an ex-tropical storm, I think it can, but whether it will is another matter. Looks quite complex and if we get the MJO going favourable at the same time, well that can only aid the pattern. enhancing the longevity of the Atlantic ridge.

• Like 4

Posted

Given weeks (or months) of testing, have they started off comparing the GFS to GFS(P) to see if the new parallel is more accurate to the (old) GFS.

We'll miss the old one's flights of fancy into Neverland timeframes when it's gone, but maybe the new one can pick up that mantle... ;-)

• Like 5

Posted

We'll miss the old one's flights of fancy into Neverland timeframes when it's gone, but maybe the new one can pick up that mantle... ;-)

You shouldn't have to wait long! Strangely the GFS last winter and this one so far has been a bit more reluctant to throw out over the top cold scenarios. It used to be with four runs a day you were always guaranteed something to keep this thread interested. It's a shame the ECM doesn't do four runs a day,that would certainly keep the model anoraks amongst us happy!

• Like 1

Posted

Tonight's Ecm 12z op run shows milder tropical maritime & cooler north atlantic air trading blows until around days 7-10 which are predominantly cold with wintry ppn and frosty nights. Comparing like for like, tonight's ecm run is light years better than last night in terms of colder potential and actually better than the 00z, a few days show 522 dam covering parts of the UK. Overall I think we are heading in the right direction..a cold direction..a good direction :- )

post-4783-0-51969600-1420313900_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-09269000-1420313915_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-47562400-1420313924_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45790900-1420313933_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-18942900-1420313950_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

Unfortunately all the GEFS images on the CPC site are blank today.

Last update I saw (Thursday) had the raw output headed in to phase 7, but I did not get a chance to peruse the BC output

SK

From what i remember the BC output was less enthusiastic about progression to phase 7 (made it through to 6 before seeming to die)

Edit: * yesterdays MJO forecast

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Blame the government, if they gave enough funds to the UKMO it wouldn't have to rely on the commercial side of things. I'm surprised they haven't sold off the UKMO to the Chinese, they've sold everything else off!

LOL Nick and what do you think of tonight's 12z? A little happier than last night I would think?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The UKMO should go to day 10, just going to day 6 is poor!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Given how the output tends to fall off a cliff in terms of reliability after 6 days then maybe the model has the right length to it. Though if we could see the mysterious T168 charts then that might be an added bonus. :)

• Like 3

Posted

jeez - i couldnt cope with you lot and another 10 day op !!  given the verification stats, i'm surprised that the indian model doesn't get more press on here.

• Like 5