Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

A little nervous posting as atmosphere seems frosty but looking at the ECM 850`s for the end of next week (prob FI) does to me show colder air is getting in to Europe. A weird? upper 850 spreading a fair bit into Europe on the 2nd is then easily quashed on the 3rd. Don`t see any point going any further than that.

ECH0-120.GIF

ECH0-144.GIF?28-0

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

In past extremely cold winters we normally get a little teaser in December, so I think we have had a few teasers, fingers crossed this winter follows the trend.

Give it a couple of days and things will be looking good again, I have no evidence for this just a hunch. One things for sure winter 2014/2015 has been so much better than 2013/2014.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

I hate using the word cool to describe polar maritime incursions with strong winds, it would be cold!! Frequent incursions of 528 dam thicknesses is not standard winter fayre, it translates to cold and wintry at times, I don't agree with gibby.

the Beeb just forecast double figures for next week at times so I would say it's looking pretty ordinary and there is nothing in the models to suggest otherwise. Wish there was but this is not looking good
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I agree the models are dire tonight, unless we get a decent block in place weather that be in the atlantic/greenland/scandinavia we will ALMOST never see any good prolonged/snowy weather.

When I look at the charts on wetterzentralle you are hard pressed to see any high pressure cells anywhere on our side of the hemisphere....

To be fair frosty gibby is correct in his scrutiny of the models and to be fair cold will feature further north this possibly also receding in future runs !.

Heights to our sw moving into the uk will only aid in a block but not were coldies want it to be.

Although frost a feature.

And the pros did there winter post saying the heart of winter could be cold.

So to be fair I'd thought heart of winter would be jan feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Evening all.   Its certainly been a disappointing December for cold, after so many forecasts predicted it.  I really think this has caused frustrations and perhaps many of the emotional comments.  Lets not forget the greatest winter for snow did not start until January 21st, until then there had been few cold shots and it was barmy mild in the preceding week.   (I don't need to mention the year).  If the models had been available then I am absolutely certainly they would not have predicted 6 weeks of blizzards.

It seems we are going back to a zonal pattern for the time being.  Perfectly normal winter conditions.  There is still time for a change.  Lets hope the SSW brings it, as it did in 2010.

Edited by Freezing-Point
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Forget about what is happening at 10 days plus for just a moment.

Can we all agree that all models at 0 hours are now showing a WAA presently advancing poleward on the Pacific side of Northern Hemisphere.

And that we are currently mid way through a 25C mountain torque event at 1 hPa level.

This is not a distant model prediction but real time Synoptics the here and now so to speak. Which I prefer more than anything hard data facts.

The ECM has an Arctic HP showing at only 120 z, the UKMO at 144 hours. GFS old school the same with a little more delay 162z.

In my book an Arctic HP is a rare bird to see especially at the turn of a new year.

So from what we see in the here and now who wouldn't be happy.

Would you rather see a -80 C Super PV that will not breakdown and huge rainfall with mild temps. I'd think no.

A great post that will sadly be lost on the hand-wringers who have declared January a bust for cold and are busy writing February's epitaph too....

A much better setup than last winter with its supercharged PV. Potential down the line that was simply not there in 13/14.

• Like 7

Posted

Essentially the odds for a HLB cold setup in January are very very slim indeed. I like cold and snow, but will not fantasise about what 'could' happen as it only gets hopes up. The outlook is very average for January, wet and cool from the west. I wouldnt be surprised if we get a continental feed sometime late February or March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Some good discussions tonight on our first class forum .All brought about by our computer models . i,v certainly learnt over the last few years watching the models that a complete turnaround can occur overnight or even during the day .personally i take the next 6 days charts and Data, Digest it accept it and then just wait ,so looking at a week away things will change in locations of high pressure areas, of low pressure whether or not a ssw will show its head and many other Meteorological big players .it could very well be that Tomorrow when we all wake up click on the computer the charts past five days would have changed [for good or bad ] depending on your preferences and your location in the uk .so after digesting all of todays data i can only come to the same conclusion as the pros at exeter who have far more data and charts at their disposal .but only a small miss calculation can bring us quite a big difference in the weather .our recent low must be a perfect example ,A gfs low centre moving to our n west then deepening and heading south east down north sea ,in the end it brought to some [lucky ones ]snow and now deep cold although short lived beets last years zilsh .I have not mentioned other models but just reminding some that things are not set in stone for the rest of winter ,So come on non believers plenty of winter left ,enjoy Stellas all round ,cheers  :drinks:  :cold:

• Like 4

Posted

Essentially the odds for a HLB cold setup in January are very very slim indeed. I like cold and snow, but will not fantasise about what 'could' happen as it only gets hopes up. The outlook is very average for January, wet and cool from the west. I wouldnt be surprised if we get a continental feed sometime late February or March.

All of January? 34 days ahead? And a continental feed in Feb/Mar would be fine; had lots of good snow events that time of year in the past. Hope you're right about that!

If the high sets up around southern Europe and sends a plume from Africa, temps could go through the roof. Unlikely as it is, it could happen.

And if a high sets up around Scandinavia temps could plummet through the floor. However your scenario is not showing in the model output as far as I am aware so not sure as to its relevance? Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 7

Posted

If the high sets up around southern Europe and sends a plume from Africa, temps could go through the roof. Unlikely as it is, it could happen.

If, by through the roof, you mean low teens, then yes. Straight southerly winds at this time of year have to cross a cool continent.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

A great post that will sadly be lost on the hand-wringers who have declared January a bust for cold and are busy writing February's epitaph too....

A much better setup than last winter with its supercharged PV. Potential down the line that was simply not there in 13/14.

It's not that. It's many on here were expecting after the early strat warming, that the PV would be busted in late December giving multiple shots of blocking over the January-February period, increasing the chances of a UK snow event. However the SSW remains elusive and although is likely this winter, it may not occur till the backend. The potential for a blockbuster winter has diminished and of course if it happens in late January we still could have a good event but that is not a given if we miss the first shot.

So of course there is potential to still get some sort of very cold but the longer the delay the less likely for it to be memorable. Early warmings like that are few and far between, not only did we miss the cold in November but we have to now go into a long period of westerlies as the PV inevitably recovers. So I think much of the downbeat posts are from this disappointment. As for last year's winter, any future winter is going to be better than that, so maybe it is not the best reference tool. So far this winter has been average at best, and bearing in mind the background signals, very poor to date for many.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Even if we did have this set up we still would only just sqeeze a 12 or 13 Celsius. Some parts of Northern Africa are actually quite cold during winter, we normally get exceptionally mild weather when we have a mid Atlantic source and not a continental feed

• Like 4

Posted

It's not that. It's many on here were expecting after the early strat warming, that the PV would be busted in late December giving multiple shots of blocking over the January-February period, increasing the chances of a UK snow event. However the SSW remains elusive and although is likely this winter, it may not occur till the backend. The potential for a blockbuster winter has diminished and of course if it happens in late January we still could have a good event but that is not a given if we miss the first shot.

So of course there is potential to still get some sort of very cold but the longer the delay the less likely for it to be memorable. Early warmings like that are few and far between, not only did we miss the cold in November but we have to now go into a long period of westerlies as the PV inevitably recovers. So I think much of the downbeat posts are from this disappointment. As for last year's winter, any future winter is going to be better than that, so maybe it is not the best reference tool. So far this winter has been average at best, and bearing in mind the background signals, very poor to date for many.

Downbeat posts are one thing and are understandable given the promise so far unfulfilled. However, it is when it spills over into dramatic proclamations of winter's demise that people get annoyed.

I don't think many realistic posters on here ever expected a "blockbuster" winter but I will concede that we hoped for more signs of a colder spell with blocking by now. That of course does not mean it will not happen, SSW or no SSW.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Not wall to wall zonality by any stretch of the imagination according to the GFS 12z. FI I know but writing winter off at this juncture is daft imo. Loads of twists and turns to come.

post-19256-0-07826600-1419801333_thumb.p

post-19256-0-78251400-1419800998_thumb.p

post-19256-0-72615300-1419801010_thumb.p

Edited by Carlrg
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

The op runs should be more accurate at the 144hr - 168hr time frame so imo it puts the ECM in an even worse light.

I keep banging on about this but the ECM needs to sort out it's mid north atlantic height bias - period!

Apologies for the late reply to this post but I think the critsicism of ECM on here as the bad guy is not borne from facts. The ECM model flies the flag above all others for many of the months past and the most recent set of verification Statistics once more support that view. Here's the most recent verification stats to prove it. Note the longer the time period the more reliable the ECM over the other models becomes. This is why I use it to compile my longer term forecasts within my website.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day3_PMSL_MSL_G2NHX.png 3 Day

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day5_PMSL_MSL_G2NHX.png 5 Day

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day8_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png  8 Day

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/allmodel/daily/cor/cor_day10_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png 10 Day

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 7

Posted

"The potential for a blockbuster winter has diminished and of course if it happens in late January we still could have a good event but that is not a given if we miss the first shot" The Winter of 1947 didn't get going until the end of January and we all know how that turned out IDO. I think the best thing to stop aggro in this forum would be an ignore button were we wouldn't even see certain posters posts. Maybe this is already available but I'm new and haven't noticed it as of yet.

Edited by -Bomber-
  • Like 1