Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Everyone is looking into FI for any possible change in synoptic and possible cold. All I was showing was the huge difference between a certain model run at that timescale that's all.

Edited by Carlrg

Posted

Well, snowing hard in Edinburgh... so not all doom and gloom!  Can someone please  post a link that explains  what MJO phase impacts NH weather?

thanks

Try Wiki, it has quite an easy to understand explanation as I recall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

A few 6z perturbations to bring a little cheer for those with a cold disposition. As you probably know, I want to see more than just a few days of cold weather here and there, I want to see a pattern change well away from what we have now. I want to see a less intrusive Azores high, I want to see the jet digging much further south, I want to see proper winter arriving. Anyway, here are a few promising charts.

post-4783-0-74168100-1420201910_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-02075000-1420201924_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-05827200-1420201935_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted

Good morning to all the forum ....... gfs 10 hpa shows an attack on the polar vortex with possible outcomes around the 20th of the month .... What do you think?

post-23132-0-08402500-1420203478_thumb.p

Edited by Diegus Vessella

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Good morning to all the forum ....... gfs 10 hpa shows an attack on the polar vortex with possible outcomes around the 20th of the month .... What do you think?

A) it doesn't last very long and B) we won't really know what's going on (or have a better idea at least to make an educated prediction), until the EC sorts it's life out! strart server wise. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

No change from the GFS 06hrs run and in this type of set up you yearn to see just one model throw out a different solution.

Sadly model reliability goes up with a flat zonal picture but it will change at some point although it must feel like we're stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario!

It's very frustrating to see weeks of winter wasted with such dire output but theres not a great deal we can do but sit and wait.

I suppose the current output and last winters horror show really highlight how snow for the UK is the exception rather than the rule, several better winters perhaps brought a false sense of "snow" security.

I remember during those better winters having a few run ins with people who were moaning about the amounts of snow they received, the bar got raised so that 5cms was no longer good enough, because down the road got 10.

The point I'm making is that every snowfall in the UK is really a matter of celebration even if its just a few cm's.

There are of course no guarantees that the winter will change, it could well be the PV just rules the day, but equally I've seen some dreadful outputs as have others that seemed never ending but they did change.

If we just write off the next ten days that brings us to roughly mid month, still 6 weeks of winter left, we could still cram some fun in during that time.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 9

Posted

No change from the GFS 06hrs run and in this type of set up you yearn to see just one model throw out a different solution.

Sadly model reliability goes up with a flat zonal picture but it will change at some point although it must feel like we're stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario!

It's very frustrating to see weeks of winter wasted with such dire output but theres not a great deal we can do but sit and wait.

I suppose the current output and last winters horror show really highlight how snow for the UK is the exception rather than the rule, several better winters perhaps brought a false sense of "snow" security.

I remember during those better winters having a few run ins with people who were moaning about the amounts of snow they received, the bar got raised so that 5cms was no longer good enough, because down the road got 10.

The point I'm making is that every snowfall in the UK is really a matter of celebration even if its just a few cm's.

There are of course no guarantees that the winter will change, it could well be the PV just rules the day, but equally I've seen some dreadful outputs as have others that seemed never ending but they did change.

If we just write off the next ten days that brings us to roughly mid month, still 6 weeks of winter left, we could still cram some fun in during that time.

Someone posted the 'average days of lying snow' map from the Met Office, and even my location says there are around 10-15 days of lying snow. Does that mean 'lying' as in it rain pretending to be snow? :-D

Snow may be rare, but it shouldn't be extinct 2 years in a row, our children are not going to know what snow is...ehem!

• Like 4

Posted

When northern USA goes back into the freezer, at least there will be a few new live winter storm chasing videos to enjoy. Even though our own winter is pretty rubbish so far, I do think there are hints from the models for a colder second half of January with Greenland height rises, displaced Azores high and a substantial Scandinavian trough.

• Like 2

Posted

Someone posted the 'average days of lying snow' map from the Met Office, and even my location says there are around 10-15 days of lying snow. Does that mean 'lying' as in it rain pretending to be snow? :-D

Snow may be rare, but it shouldn't be extinct 2 years in a row, our children are not going to know what snow is...ehem!

I'm not sure what the time period is for the average days in terms of how many years data they include. In terms of extinct it was that way for quite a few years before that recent run of more snowier winters.

I know everyones patience is wearing thin which is totally understandable, lets see where we are early next week in terms of the NWP.

• Like 2

When northern USA goes back into the freezer, at least there will be a few new live winter storm chasing videos to enjoy. Even though our own winter is pretty rubbish so far, I do think there are hints from the models for a colder second half of January with Greenland height rises, displaced Azores high and a substantial Scandinavian trough.

I don't agee at all, many more frosts so far this winter than last and some decent snow for northern UK, December only came in slightly above average mainly due to the south, midlands northwards its been pretty good so far.

• Like 6

Posted

Recent geomagnetic activity will surely have contributed towards the (too) brief split and re-organisation of the vortex which sets the scene for the zonal phase we have to endure in the coming 10 day + period.

I'm not sure I fully understand the reference to geomagnetic activity Tamara so if you could kindly expand just a little it would be appreciated, I've read this paper but it still leaves me in the dark with reference to the current situation.

http://www.physics.otago.ac.nz/space/2012JD018946R_Revised_upload.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The CFS MJO is a bit more promising on it's latest run from mid-Jan as it manages to push through phase 7, taking circa 7-9 days in that phase:

post-14819-0-30495800-1420205697_thumb.p  Composite: post-14819-0-68153900-1420205734_thumb.g

So the hints from the GEFS (again around 33% on 06z) may not be unfounded. The NAO shows that possibility a bit more:

post-14819-0-64076300-1420205856_thumb.g A downward trend towards mid-month. 

We really need this to not be a false dawn, otherwise Jan may pass us by, as then we are into the last few weeks of the official winter and no second chances from there.

In the interim there remains a sign that Saturday week will be mild, ECMpost-14819-0-98821700-1420206239_thumb.g

Then a slow decline towards slightly below average temps for London.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I'm not sure I fully understand the reference to geomagnetic activity Tamara so if you could kindly expand just a little it would be appreciated, I've read this paper but it still leaves me in the dark with reference to the current situation.

Hi 

"A third potential factor in Polar Vortex behavior is that “geomagnetic activity (used as a measure of solar wind parameters)†plays a role in the “variability of large-scale climate patterns and on changes in the global temperature.â€, i.e.: “We have found positive statistically significant correlations between global temperature and the distribution of surface temperature over Eurasia, the East and Equatorial Pacific and over the North Atlantic for the period 1966-2009 correspond to large-scale climate patterns defined by climate indices. We found very similar positive correlations between geomagnetic activity and the distribution of surface temperature in the mentioned regions. As an effect of geomagnetic storms, energetic particles penetrate from the magnetosphere into the region of the stratospheric polar vortex. The increase of temperature and pressure can be observed over northern Canada. The vortex shifts towards Europe, rotates counter-clockwise and the wind blows from the polar region over Greenland southwards. It diverts the warm flow proceeding northward over the Atlantic, eastward along the deep Icelandic low extending as far as the Barents Sea and takes part in warming Eurasia. The strengthened zonal flow from Siberia cools the western Pacific with the impact on the warming of the equatorial and eastern Pacific when also a distinct 1976-78 climate shift occurred. Processes in the Atlantic and Pacific play a significant role and a time delay (wind forcing over the previous 1-4 yr) appears to be the most important for the relocation of the oceanic gyres. Results showing statistically significant relations between time series for geomagnetic activity, for the sum of climate indices and for the global temperature help to verify findings concerning the chain of processes from the magnetosphere to the troposphere.†Studia Geophysica & Geodaetica, Bucha 2012"

From an interesting article on PV displacement: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/02/01/a-displaced-polar-vortex-and-its-causes/

Looks like the upcoming pattern summed up well.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 5

Posted

There is something about the extended MO update which bothers me, there is apparently a weak signal for the south to become fine with the north staying unsettled, it bothers me that this could mean rather than the jet digging south, that the jet would in fact be forced further north along with high pressure from southern Europe..hope I'm completely wrong about this.

Posted

I don't agee at all, many more frosts so far this winter than last and some decent snow for northern UK, December only came in slightly above average mainly due to the south, midlands northwards its been pretty good so far.

It's been rubbish in the south so far surely?

Further north a few wintry days out of 33..room for improvement.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Anyone writing off the rest of the winter needs to get their head checked out. For all you know the models could flip to cold tomorrow. Just a gut feeling but I really think the SSW will be our savoir this winter and models will start picking up on it sometime next week.

It's been rubbish in the south so far surely?
Further north a few wintry days out of 33..room for improvement.

Maybe has been rubbish in the south but as I type this message it's 1 degrees here and has been snowing on and off all day. 

• Like 5

Posted

I'm not writing winter off, just saying it needs to buck it's ideas up before Feb, latest mo update is once again very uninspiring for coldies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

I think this deep low just to the south of Greenland is important if we are going to get cold and snow. If it develops just a bit further south than shown or even just weaker, I think the high pressure cell by the UK could then ridge into Greenland and latch onto the high already there. The low would then be forced to track much further south.

airpressure.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I'm not writing winter off, just saying it needs to buck it's ideas up before Feb, latest mo update is once again very uninspiring for coldies.

Don't forget March as well. Maybe our winters are just going to start later from now? I hope  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Hi 

"A third potential factor in Polar Vortex behavior is that “geomagnetic activity (used as a measure of solar wind parameters)†plays a role in the “variability of large-scale climate patterns and on changes in the global temperature.â€, i.e.: “We have found positive statistically significant correlations between global temperature and the distribution of surface temperature over Eurasia, the East and Equatorial Pacific and over the North Atlantic for the period 1966-2009 correspond to large-scale climate patterns defined by climate indices. We found very similar positive correlations between geomagnetic activity and the distribution of surface temperature in the mentioned regions. As an effect of geomagnetic storms, energetic particles penetrate from the magnetosphere into the region of the stratospheric polar vortex. The increase of temperature and pressure can be observed over northern Canada. The vortex shifts towards Europe, rotates counter-clockwise and the wind blows from the polar region over Greenland southwards. It diverts the warm flow proceeding northward over the Atlantic, eastward along the deep Icelandic low extending as far as the Barents Sea and takes part in warming Eurasia. The strengthened zonal flow from Siberia cools the western Pacific with the impact on the warming of the equatorial and eastern Pacific when also a distinct 1976-78 climate shift occurred. Processes in the Atlantic and Pacific play a significant role and a time delay (wind forcing over the previous 1-4 yr) appears to be the most important for the relocation of the oceanic gyres. Results showing statistically significant relations between time series for geomagnetic activity, for the sum of climate indices and for the global temperature help to verify findings concerning the chain of processes from the magnetosphere to the troposphere.†Studia Geophysica & Geodaetica, Bucha 2012"

From an interesting article on PV displacement: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/02/01/a-displaced-polar-vortex-and-its-causes/

this post here is a direct kick in the teeth and is something ive been looking into in my own time!.

but way way more work and data needed.

this is i strongly believe is out weighing the other drivers id go as far to say its whats been feeding the vortex,

its also worth noting that the jets are stronger and tend to stay futher north during higher solar outputs and i really cant wait for the next lull or minimum.

back around cycle 24 minimum where the sun was spotless,

not only when a ssw event took place the jet was already futher south and blocking was already taking shape early that winter but 08 also during the lull in the suns output also was the first sign that the jet pattern coupled with the less strong vortex was already showing signs of a change to cooler/colder winters.

so whats happened well the mighty sun is far more awake than back then.

really shows how directly the sun does force our weather patterns.

i dont expect to see the models changing there minds anytime soon infact im starting to think that where now starting to feel the effects of a solar maximum.

this includes a very robust polar vortex and strong jet streak.

feb is normally the month where we see a more relaxed zonal pattern but i fear that this feb maybe just as bad as last year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

I think this deep low just to the south of Greenland is important if we are going to get cold and snow. If it develops just a bit further south than shown or even just weaker, I think the high pressure cell by the UK could then ridge into Greenland and latch onto the high already there. The low would then be forced to track much further south.

airpressure.png

Yeah, i was thinking we could be looking for a nice little surprise into early next week but It looks like the Atlantic is just too strong this time round Hope i'm wrong though 

Posted

Hi 

Thanks for that ido so are we saying this is contributing to the the re-organisation of the vortex? It doesn't seem that clear cut to me as previously mentioned in:

Geomagnetic activity signatures in wintertime stratosphere wind, temperature, and wave response

Posted

this is i strongly believe is out weighing the other drivers id go as far to say its whats been feeding the vortex,

its also worth noting that the jets are stronger and tend to stay futher north during higher solar outputs and i really cant wait for the next lull or minimum.

Have you any references for that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Yeah, i was thinking we could be looking for a nice little surprise into early next week but It looks like the Atlantic is just too strong this time round Hope i'm wrong though 

I think it's also worth noting it nearly succeeds in FI on the GFSP. Wouldn't take much to make that succeed I think and I believe it may do on future runs.

airpressure.png

Edited by Jonathan Lang