Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted

It's correct upto T+48 hrs then goes faulty until T+96 hrs where it corrects itself.

Yup, agree with that. Does beg the question of where the 48 to 72 charts have come from though??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Gfs is certainly trying to higher heights to our East North East.

But not enough yet in some ways I'd like Azores heights to build over the uk perhaps just to let the rest of the northern hemisphere fight it out then have a set pattern!.

Looking at that pv it's a blinking pain in the butt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Hi Tamara, fully concur with most of your post. I'd only take issue re: "Despite things not going to plan, so far..."

I'd instead argue it's all gone wholly in line with expectation: the +NAO-driven and essentially unexceptional but slightly milder than average December forecast was borne-out; ditto the early signal for *possible* stratospheric warming complexities emerging turn-of-year; the less clear +ve versus -ve NAO polarisation as January-Feb continues (still tbc through 2nd half of month).. worth remembering no 'deep cold' or 'cold-hearted' winter was ever forecast (Madden hyperventilation aside), hence my view being one of actually a broadly successful seasonal forecast *so far*, in keeping with general expectation, but with the obvious caveat, of course, that we've still a distance to go before any final lap and final judgement!

Cheers

Ian

I doubt MetO will be bringing the seasonal forecasts back just yet though.  :smiliz64:

Fair play this year though, they have been spot on thus far.  :good:  :clap:

• Like 5

Posted

Gfs is certainly trying to higher heights to our East North East.

But not enough yet in some ways I'd like Azores heights to build over the uk perhaps just to let the rest of the northern hemisphere fight it out then have a set pattern!.

Looking at that pv it's a blinking pain in the butt.

Doesn't look good to me

gfsnh-0-174.png?12

Blacks over greenland/svalbard 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think the issue today isn't so much what the pattern will be but whether its zonal mild or cooler zonal weather.

If you are south of the Peak District, cool/cold zonal does not mean much. I have yet to see London suffering from snow in a cool zonal flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Not much talk of events for Saturday, especially as the low is further south!!!

Posted

Yea what's happening about Saturday. We're is the snow most likely now?? Is it a repeat of last weekend

If the gfs is to believed I think it will be further south than last week!!

Posted

It's my sons birthday Saturday,would love a bit of snow plzzzzz,sorry if off topic!

Posted

Not much talk of events for Saturday, especially as the low is further south!!!

If the low is further south, does that mean that any potential snow will be further south too?

Posted

If the low is further south, does that mean that any potential snow will be further south too?

Yes I think so but could do with an update from nick s.

Posted

Yea what's happening about Saturday. We're is the snow most likely now?? Is it a repeat of last weekend

Awaiting EC. As of earlier today, transient leading edge snow for lowland northern areas (bigger problem trans-pennines) but rate of transition W-E mitigated pronounced cold advection phasing with PPN for very long. In any event, generally 10-15mm PPN for most (event total 30mm for some) with rapid GPH build behind it, so as it stands we are cautiously hopeful it won't prove to be a big deal. However, we await full analysis later this evening.

• Like 9

Posted

Yes I think so but could do with an update from nick s.

Unlikely.

All the short range high resolution models don't toy with snowfall, snow risk amplified if front is further north only.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Awaiting EC. As of earlier today, transient leading edge snow for lowland northern areas (bigger problem trans-pennines) but rate of transition W-E mitigated pronounced cold advection phasing with PPN for very long. In any event, generally 10-15mm PPN for most (event total 30mm for some) with rapid GPH build behind it, so as it stands we are cautiously hopeful it won't prove to be a big deal. However, we await full analysis later this evening.

I'm hopeful I'll be in prime position on Saturday.

Eagerly awaiting your update

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

if we go according to gfs ian does that mean the snow line will be further south instead of northern england! !

Posted

Another bleak outlook for coldies, I feel another year with no snow coming in my part of the UK...Seems that the only glimmer of hope at the minute is the strat warming to change things, it's still looking promising on that front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Middle Diddle according to the GEM.

post-19256-0-11737300-1420134611_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

For those into statistics, Tamaras post is currently rated at exactly one' like' per paragraph - keep up the good work Tams!

Fav post I would like to see now is one from Ian Browns saying  'I don't believe it' .

Models tonight should hopefully firm up any transient snow for Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

GEFS at D10 sniffing another possible baby ridge dragging a plume from N.Africa: post-14819-0-30582700-1420133833_thumb.p

No real change to the overall zonal pattern but some drier and warmer interludes. This seems a reasonable development bearing in mind the upcoming 3 day transient ridge next week. So a slight shift to TM>PM but all subject to change as we head closer to D10. Some changes after D12 with a small cluster keeping a MLB over the UK and by mid-month signs that this is becoming a larger cluster as the mean suggests:

post-14819-0-51478300-1420134515_thumb.p

This hopefully ties in with my hope that the PV will become less of a driver as other variables factor into the synoptics around mid-month. Just need it to trend now.

Posted

GEFS fully out now. Nothing much to report really.

Perhaps a relaxation of the pattern by the very end and maybe some possibility of a northerly topple scenario out towards mid month.

Posted

There's quite a few one-liners and off topic posts slipping in here, a few posts have been removed.

Please keep on topic and discuss the models.

Thanks

• Like 3

Posted

ECM 12z ppn chart shows a more southerly track. Heavy rain for all.

post-8968-0-28345700-1420137303_thumb.jp

IF a more northward trajectory then snow for southern central northern England on high ground.

Posted

Evening All-

Thanks Steve - superb post.  You have called a spade a spade.

Do you think the Strat warming may have an impact going forward?

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.