Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted

Morning all

An early start for me today after another dismal nights sleep so I might be a bit grumpy today!

The overnight outputs generally show a mobile picture, within that there some differences in detail, some suggestion of a shallow low running east. It's looking marginal but there could be a little snow on the northern flank of this as it engages some colder air, the exact track though even if it verifies is likely to change.It's best of this stays a weak feature, less chance of any snow if this deepens too much.

However the ECM and UKMO disagree with that shallow low, so for the timebeing I'd say its a low risk.

Across all the outputs there are differences upstream which within the overall NH pattern won't dramatically change that although they will impact on any colder air into the UK.

You can see from this mornings NCEP  State update for New York why detail even at the weekend and early next week is difficult:

AS WE HEAD INTO NEXT WEEKEND...OUR FOCUS WILL THEN TURN BACK TO THE
SYNOPTIC SCALE AS ANOTHER DEVELOPING CUTTER-TYPE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM
OVER TEXAS AND THE GULF COAST STATES LIFTS NORTHEASTWARD AND TOWARD
OUR REGION. WHILE THE MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE REMAINS IN GENERAL
AGREEMENT ON THIS OVERALL PATTERN...THERE IS ALSO MUCH DISAGREEMENT
ON THE FORWARD SPEED OF THIS SYSTEM AND EXACT TRACK IT WILL TAKE...
WITH THIS LIKELY ARISING FROM CONTINUED RUN-TO-RUN AND MODEL-
TO-MODEL VARIATIONS IN THE DEGREE OF PHASING BETWEEN THE INCIPIENT
PARENT SOUTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE AND THE NORTHERN BRANCH OF THE JET
STREAM.

Developments there do effect the angle of the jet into the UK and also possible interactions with the PV to the northwest.

Briefly in terms of the strat we're seeing a first for this winter so far with a warming at the 10hpa level over Greenland, the models all vary in its intensity. So far any warmings have been on the Asian/Pacific side so I'm sure the strat thread might be a good port of call today!

• Like 3

Posted

GEFS ensemble 7 shows the type of pattern I want to see in the future. Perhaps it's the only one that has sniffed the projected warming up in the srat. I believe we will see allot more HLB come Wednesday of this week.

post-11255-0-10175400-1419839431_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

No change this morning. The D16 GEFS show nothing but zonality with at best a N/S split: post-14819-0-61050900-1419838939_thumb.p

Again any differences with the attempted ridging up to D10 has no effect on the long wave pattern, just introduces more TM air into the mix. The three main models at D10:

post-14819-0-58286900-1419839104_thumb.p post-14819-0-92375700-1419839104_thumb.p post-14819-0-25154200-1419839105_thumb.g

A good deal of certainty as to the general flow, just variations on timings and amplitude of short wave ridge and troughs. 

We await to see if the ECM's continued strat warming is verified and if it is then maybe another week of poor charts before it will get interesting. In the interim just average weather for the south:

post-14819-0-66367900-1419839397_thumb.g

At best a 15% chance of some of that PM air giving us some snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

So let me get this straight, we have an 85 percent chance of not getting any more snow during first half of janvier..nooooooo

• Like 2

Posted

IDO the ECM's strat warming today is even stronger than last night so that's some good news.

Yes certainly is but I always wait three runs when we get a big change before I believe it. If the 12z continues with that warming then confidence will be high.

So let me get this straight, we have an 85 percent chance of not getting any more snow during first half of janvier..nooooooo

I am sure your chances are better than that Frosty.  :D

35% (at best) of getting snow according to the latest run: post-14819-0-73894800-1419840246_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

How can you be so accurate?

I was quoting from the post above mine, that's all.

Posted

Mobilty from the models this morning but a lot of uncertainties within. None more so than member 7 of the GEFS (oh yes, shamelessly cherry picked) who tracks the low SE all the way into Southern Italy and the Arctic high then does noses over to see what's going on and it all ends up being, well, rather interesting to say the least...

post-5114-0-33113600-1419839970_thumb.pn

post-5114-0-34153600-1419839977_thumb.pn

post-5114-0-23114700-1419839982_thumb.pn

post-5114-0-97850400-1419839986_thumb.pn

We can but hope!

• Like 4

Posted

How can you be so accurate?

On the graphs I post at the bottom they have probability of snow. They are based on the ensembles that produce snow in what ever region (London in my case).

Posted

Yes certainly is but I always wait three runs when we get a big change before I believe it. If the 12z continues with that warming then confidence will be high.

I am sure your chances are better than that Frosty.  :D

IDO a question if indeed the GEFS go out further with suggestions that they might run to T720hrs in a few years  will you be using those or will you be sticking to just day 16? lol

In terms of the strat warming its likely to verify but just the extent of it that might move a little.

• Like 5

Posted

IDO a question if indeed the GEFS go out further with suggestions that they might run to T720hrs in a few years  will you be using those or will you be sticking to just day 16? lol

In terms of the strat warming its likely to verify but just the extent of it that might move a little.

Wow you have got me excited now, out to T720. When will that be?  :clap:

As I understood it last nights run ramped up the warming after the split was forecast where it had been rather mute on previous runs. This was unexpected and may be enough for a real run on the PV. Where as before we may have had to wait for another warming event to do the job.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

The way I see it is the next 5 to 7 days looked pretty sorted in terms of what we can expect from the weather, cool, rain or showers and abit windy at times, wouldn't get hung up to much about the ensembles showing anything past day 8. If a pattern change happens in the next week then the ensembles will come kicking and screaming after.

We're having some very decent cold weather at the moment, sometimes it's nice to start a fresh, go back to neutral for us which is westerly regime then hopefully let the next cold spell build and bring us something more interesting than we have now.

It's just a shame that normally we lose about two or more weeks of winter hunting for our next chance. But that's what you get when surrounded by warm waters.

Posted

Wow you have got me excited now, out to T720. When will that be?  :clap:

As I understood it last nights run ramped up the warming after the split was forecast where it had been rather mute on previous runs. This was unexpected and may be enough for a real run on the PV. Where as before we may have had to wait for another warming event to do the job.

If you start putting up GEFS charts for T720hrs then I really will be worried! lol The best thing about this strat warming is that its different from any so far this winter with it being over Greenland. I really hope this can finally dislodge those limpet low heights from Greenland and move the PV further away to the nw, that PV is now seriously getting on my wick!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted

On the graphs I post at the bottom they have probability of snow. They are based on the ensembles that produce snow in what ever region (London in my case).

Thanks. I would say that ties in with my thoughts also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The models are even worse this morning as we lose the colder PM shots on the ECM with pressure higher over Iberia linked to a huge high pressure covering most of the Med and North Africa from +120.

It's not quite a Bartlett but getting close to a zonal Bartlett so no snow even in the North apart from Scottish mountains and even here you will need 2000feet.

For the start of the New Year it's difficult to see how it could be worse.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted

The models are even worse this morning as we lose the colder PM shots on the ECM with pressure higher over Iberia linked to a huge high pressure covering most of the Med and North Africa from +120.

It's not quite a Bartlett but getting close to a zonal Bartlett so no snow even in the North apart from Scottish mountains and even here you will need 2000feet.

Andy

You're obviously too young to remember winter 88/89! Compared to that winter this one so far is positively great! Theres little chance of the much feared horror Bartlett show setting up. Keep the faith we're not even in January yet and things can change very quickly. We shouldn't always assume the worst, its easy sometimes to fall into that trap because in the UK it can be a painful process to get some proper wintry weather in.

• Like 8

Posted

Yes, i agree with the above. The broader pattern seems to be fairly well established across the models. Although Scottish Mountains will see some wintriness, the ECM suggests even less so for other areas than yesterdays output.

post-12244-0-22742200-1419842961_thumb.p

Edited by dragan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Andy

.......................also regular LPs and the angle they are coming into the country in the latter part from the GFS 00z run would be reminiscent of last years flooding 

:(

......................hopefully a one off!

prcpSomerset.png

Edited by stratty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

looks this morning like the jets shifted further north, meaning we look like getting slightly more tm sectors and less pm in the forthcoming unsettled spell.

as for instinct (something i too have employed) , in reality so far this winter no ones instinct for something cold has become reality. TEITS even apologised for getting it wrong just the other day... respect. before crimbo there was the jh science vs omm instinct debate..... clearly the scientific method has proven correct? of course theres no recording of instinct based predictions, maybe there should be in some way, but imho instinct often is misplaced unless anyone can provide evidence to the contrary (as in an instinctual prediction followed by subsequent charts that proved it right).

....and just for the record, my instincts dont suggest to me a major cold winter, but i do think we will get a widerspread cold snap (upto a week) where snow and frost feature. thats based on past experiences and the 'feel' i get from the way this winters pattern is playing out.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

You're obviously too young to remember winter 88/89! Compared to that winter this one so far is positively great! Theres little chance of the much feared horror Bartlett show setting up. Keep the faith we're not even in January yet and things can change very quickly. We shouldn't always assume the worst, its easy sometimes to fall into that trap because in the UK it can be a painful process to get some proper wintry weather in.

Not too young I am 53 and remember the 1989 horror, however, I also remember the lovely widespread snowfall in late November 1988 that was followed by a week of frost.

So to me so far winter 2014/15 has been worse!

Plenty of time for change but at the moment despite all the techno chat nothing is on the horizon.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted

In terms of the shorter term there is a cluster of solutions on the ECM postage stamps that back the GFS's in terms of a low pressure crossing on a fairly southerly track:

post-1206-0-99809000-1419843800_thumb.gi

Theres still quite a variation in terms of how far south any colder air gets at T120hrs.

Regarding that low theres not any deep cold air to tap into but if the feature remains shallow evaporative cooling might help.

The operationals disagree regarding that low so for the timebeing I'd put this as a low probability but certainly something to keep an eye on.

Edited by nick sussex