Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted

You may well be right in your prediction but calling for zonal conditions in the British Isles is a bit like saying that Chelsea have a good chance of winning the League, therefore for me there is very little kudos attached to it!

Yes but it's the model output discussion. That's what I see so that's what I have commented on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And back to model posting and chat which i find this is the right thread-i think

quiet a difference there with a neg tilted trough out in the mid atlantic pushing hieghts a bit further north

18z@114post-16960-0-29581700-1419804806_thumb.p12z@120post-16960-0-19812500-1419804830_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

I am really pleased we have John Holmes posting on this forum, level-headed and full of weather wisdom.

However, having followed the NOAA anomaly charts avidly this year (and found them to pretty good in the summer), the last two weeks have got me concerned - it is able to cope with major pattern changes? Look at the following, the date produced and the forecast period - I have to say, we know that these charts are wrong / going to be wrong for our area of the globe - Royal.

814hghts.20141219.fcst.gif

814hghts.20141224.fcst.gif

see my post lower down rather than insert here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Yes but it's the model output discussion. That's what I see so that's what I have commented on.

That's fair enough but the "fantasists" you derided earlier are also doing the same, but they are looking into trends and ensemble members instead of the operationals alone.

Everyone is entitled to their view of the output be it optimistic or pessimistic but considering the best respected models don't go out beyond 7-10 days, then everything can be considered as FI after that so claims of whole months being lost to zonality are somewhat premature.

• Like 2

Posted

It's a ridge, Jim.

gfsnh-0-162.png?18

But not as we know it.

Yes Mucka better cross polar flow enhancing those hieghts in the Greenland area forcing that low to further undercut with better negativity tilt.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I know the charts are not looking good for a cold perspective .

But last week they forecast a Northerly which then turned into an Easterly.

In the end a watered down Northerly gave a little snow yesterday.

The Easterly which was promised to deliver some very cold weather into the new year is set to be a sinker.

The point I am making is that charts can go wrong, and what they might be showing in a few days time may well be different to what they are showing today.

Just to illustrate this point, some big changes on the GFS 18Z over the last 24 hours:

gfsnh-0-168.png?18 gfsnh-0-192.png

A rather typical zonal picture yesterday (albeit still with an Arctic High) compared to hints of some cross-polar ridging tonight. Interesting also to see both the GFS and GFS P placing a cut off low in the Atlantic around D5. This would certainly help with the amplification and potentially manage to carve out some sort of ridge to our north to deflect the jet southwards.

This is pretty close to what I mean:

gfsnh-0-180.png?18

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted

Boo,and the pv comes to our shores with her hand waving in the air lol

SMILEpost-16960-0-81378000-1419806302_thumb.p

Posted

But the question has to be asked is what you say true or a perception you and some others have about it. As Gibby posts the 10 days statistics, like the 6 day ones show it clearly in the lead even over the revamped GFS. That revamp was partly fed by guidance from ECMWF staff trying to get the GFS model to give better results. I find it hard to believe, until folk show me the predicted AND then the actual chart that ECMWF is as bad as some say. How can that be when the northern hemisphere statistics show otherwise. Do you feel it is west or east of the UK? Please show me actual instances.

I am not trying to cause a row but as a meteorologist and a bloke with a science training I do need factual evidence. So far the only charts I have seen are predicted charts which then folk do not remember when we get to T+00, much as I asked earlier today.

If I had time I would do just the same as I did with the anomaly charts, collect the data, post them for all to see, then comment how well or badly I felt they had been. I did this for 3 years so my view on them is a scientific one.

Let us have a discussion please but no name calling.

In answer to your question, it is many years of model watching that has exposed the ECM bias in over amplifying towards Greenland. This has more recently been cemented by some members highlighting this fact with bias verification maps. I am sure you will have seen these posted on here these last few weeks. I do not know where to access them so I can't attach them. They basically show height bias for each model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I think if the UK was 750 / 1000 miles further north, the Gfs 18z op run would be very wintry indeed. Hopefully the 00z will be better.

Posted

In answer to your question, it is many years of model watching that has exposed the ECM bias in over amplifying towards Greenland. This has more recently been cemented by some members highlighting this fact with bias verification maps. I am sure you will have seen these posted on here these last few weeks. I do not know where to access them so I can't attach them. They basically show height bias for each model.

hi

I have missed them but would be grateful to see them if anyone can give me a link please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

This'd be a bit parky. :cold:  If it verfied that is.

post-19256-0-07138200-1419806732_thumb.p

Lala land as ever.  :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Shocking chart for cold unless your an optimist re the Alaskan ridge

Thankfully it is a long way out into FI and given the GFS's seeming tendency to flatten almost any pattern after day 7, we can hope that it is just up to its usual tricks!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This'd be a bit parky. :cold:  If it verfied that is.

attachicon.gifgfs-0-372.png

Lala land as ever.  :crazy:

That's just wet, windy with average temperatures.

• Like 5

Posted

Still a confused picture upstream with different handling of low pressure over the USA and Canada, the GFS teased a little but then the upstream pattern flattened out.

A chance still though of something a bit more wintry next weekend, its not the most exciting output we've seen from a cold perspective neither is it awful its just middle of the road really.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very stormy period showing around the 7th for the North.. With a strong Jet over the UK.

gfs-0-240.png?18gfsnh-5-240.png?18gfsnh-1-264.png?18

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

That's just wet, windy with average temperatures.

I know but we live in hope. It's going to be zonal, mild and mushy.

And this chart don't look good either. Not a cat in hell's chance of an undercut followed by a beasterly.

post-19256-0-29652100-1419807336_thumb.p

Posted

Some heavy snow showing for the South out in the run.

gfsnh-2-300.png?18

• Like 5

Posted

Some heavy snow showing for the South out in the run.

gfsnh-2-300.png?18

Forgive me for saying this PM,but that's 300hrs away,can i have it @ 12hrs please :smiliz19:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Arctic high showing face around t+150 on the 18z op, it even causes a temporary weak split between the deep cold vortices over Canada and northern Scandi/NW Russia allowing H500 rises over Greenland. But still a strong zonal jet in place to the south across the UK.

Don't think the models will have complete confidence in the Arctic high's cross polar spread, so we may see some interesting evolutions pop up from time to time in coming days, especially if the Arctic high drops this side to coincide with an amplifying mid-Atlantic ridge.

It seems as though the GFS op often re-organises and strengthens one big H500 vortex at higher latitudes into deep FI if there are signs of a temporary split, so not overly concerned until the models resolve the Arctic High's influence this side of the pole.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Roll on 10th Janvier, looks very wintry on 18z parallel universe run :-)

• Like 4