Sign in to follow this  
leegally1983

loud boom noise in the sky

Hi

I am new to this forum hope you all are well, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these loud boom noises at night they sound like fire works but louder and only ever 1 apart from last month where there was 3 in a row. Was hoping someone has a real explanation for them.

Thanks

Lee

Could be a bird scarer or a local bird shoot?  Get them here quite often when the wind carries the sound in the right direction.

I know what you mean and I heard it too. It's really difficult to explain to those who haven't heard it. It seems to be unexplained. Although it did tie in with the recent meteor shower, so maybe it was that?

Seems like people hear them all over the world but nothing gets said about it seems very strange to me. Im in manchester uk where areyou?

Tyldesley, its inbetween Wigan and Salford if that makes sense

People i know on Facebook heard it and they are 10 miles away

Seems like people hear them all over the world but nothing gets said about it seems very strange to me. Im in manchester uk where areyou?

Down in Kent. The night I heard it it was heard from Kent all the way up to Edinburgh all at roughly the same time.

Have to report had the same again this morning.

Was woken  at 6:00  by the sound of booms in the sky. I do have effective double glazing!!!

Lasted for 3 to 4 mins and sounded like distant fireworks, but this is the fourth time I've heard the noise now, each time the same and I tried to find the original  posts  when someone recorded and posted the  sound recording from November (I think). The noise is exactly the same , but is being heard over a huge areas so cannot be fireworks.. 

Still very strange.

MIA

There was a similar phenomena on World's Weirdest Weather or similar where loud industrial noises were heard all over the US and Canada. It was always happening in winter and they discovered that freezing air was acting like a 'roof' so rather tan sounds going up into the atmosphere they carried for hundreds of miles. Maybe we are seeing the same thing here?

• Like 1

There was a similar phenomena on World's Weirdest Weather or similar where loud industrial noises were heard all over the US and Canada. It was always happening in winter and they discovered that freezing air was acting like a 'roof' so rather tan sounds going up into the atmosphere they carried for hundreds of miles. Maybe we are seeing the same thing here?

I live about 1 km from a factory. At night you can hear it vent the steam chamber. It's not a boom sound but more like a swish. It usually wouldn't disturb my sleep but on the 26th I woke up to this really load noise it kept me awake, it could have been 10 times louder than normal with a poping sound just before the swish.

I think this could tie into that theory as it was a very cold night(not sure of the temp but was in the minus) the steam cloud was also much more visable than normal probably due to it freezing as it hit the air.

I live about 1 km from a factory. At night you can hear it vent the steam chamber. It's not a boom sound but more like a swish. It usually wouldn't disturb my sleep but on the 26th I woke up to this really load noise it kept me awake, it could have been 10 times louder than normal with a poping sound just before the swish.

I think this could tie into that theory as it was a very cold night(not sure of the temp but was in the minus) the steam cloud was also much more visable than normal probably due to it freezing as it hit the air.

Must be one heck of a loud boom or should it also get detected in Kent. Interesting thread though. Edited by snow..chance

Must be one heck of a loud boom or should it also get detected in Kent. Interesting thread though.

lol, I don't think this is the source of the "boom" sound, but just an example of local industrial sounds possibly being amplified as Lauren described in her post :) The day is only significant because the same weather conditions was widespread.

Edited by jamesd

Good explanation..

I do hear the occasional crash sound in the dead of night. I'm not sure what it is - but there are quarries not too far from here, so maybe them.

More disturbing I think is the loud humming sounds that people have reported all over the world.

Edited by cheese

Good explanation..

I do hear the occasional crash sound in the dead of night. I'm not sure what it is - but there are quarries not too far from here, so maybe them.

More disturbing I think is the loud humming sounds that people have reported all over the world.

Loud humming sounds? Worldwide? Could you please provide some links or back up to your assumptions Cheese. Genuine question as I'm intrigued.

Hi

I am new to this forum hope you all are well, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these loud boom noises at night they sound like fire works but louder and only ever 1 apart from last month where there was 3 in a row. Was hoping someone has a real explanation for them.

Thanks

Lee

Lee could you be hearing shotguns from the range in Worsley? As the crow flies not that far away.

Loud humming sounds? Worldwide? Could you please provide some links or back up to your assumptions Cheese. Genuine question as I'm intrigued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mystery-hum-listen-spooky-sound-2247334

Everything has a logical explanation, but it does have a 'War of the Worlds' vibe to it.

Edited by cheese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mystery-hum-listen-spooky-sound-2247334

Everything has a logical explanation, but it does have a 'War of the Worlds' vibe to it.

Cheese these sounds are not te ones I was refering too.

The sounds recorded above are the ones Lauren's post alluded too, and have those ones have been found to be caused by temp inversion and a factory about 40 miles away. It was featured on one of the science progs on TV.

The ones I am referring too,are sounds like continuous firewaorks going off (for about 4 minutes or more on each occasion) which have been heard all over this country(UK and Eire). There were also reports of similar being heard on the East Coast of the USA. 

The first set were recorded by mobile phone and posted on here from N England I think from memory. They were exactly the same noises I heard at the same time here in the Central Midlands. They were also heard and reported in the South East England, East Anglia   and around Aberdeen  at the same time, so could not have been fireworks. They were widely reported in the press.

I think it was during the November time frame. I have already searched for it, but drew a blank.

At the time some aircraft engineer bod from Hampsire(?), said he thought they sounded like the sounds he had heard on a testbed . He thought they were caused by some new super-engine and was likely to be a series of detonations in some form of new engine power. He did give it a name, but I have forgotten it. DOH........(something like impulse explosive  power.) 

Will be intersting to see if these noises continue at about weekly intervals. I did not see any records of one over Xmas and the new year (until Tuesday), so it is inlikely to be extraterrestrlal!!!!  as I am certain any ET's around wouldn'.t have gone home for THEIR  Xmas presents.LOL.

MIA   

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

That video sounds like steel on steel ,slipway launch of ship, or heavy freight train braking ,sounds industrial and man made ,atmospheric inversion most likley imo ....

Fireworks go off most weekends here so no mystery there. Living on a hill you soon locate them visually. Probably as it sounds just fireworks.

Fireworks go off most weekends here so no mystery there. Living on a hill you soon locate them visually. Probably as it sounds just fireworks.

Yep we have had fireworks here near the middle of Bham. Most days infact!  Divali, Asain new year Japanese new year and  many Indian weddings etc..  with a high populations of immigrants they tend to have something to celebrate most wekkends and also many weeekdays.

However we (apart from new years day) do not have them at 06:00 in the morning as the latest one reported was. There is also a difference in the sound. The ones reported are quite distinctive and seem to move across the sky..

MIA