Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Boxing Day Snow Event Thoughts And Reports.

Posted

Well the snow has finally stopped here, been snowing constantly since around 18:00

Around 6 or 7 inches settled on the roads, no idea why no gritters had been out, even on the M1 as stated in other posts!

Cars abandoned all over the place and lots of reports of power outages and even a junction box exploding in Clowne not far from here.

A great snow event, times like this I wish I owned a 4x4! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

MetO tweeted saying no lightning detected over the UK so what the heck is it

The flashes seem to be away from any power lines though. I've certainly never seen anything like it in my life

Western power distribution have said that they have witnessed a number of power cuts caused by downed power lines in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. That will be where these flashes are coming from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well the snow has finally stopped here, been snowing constantly since around 18:00

Around 6 or 7 inches settled on the roads, no idea why no gritters had been out, even on the M1 as stated in other posts!

Cars abandoned all over the place and lots of reports of power outages and even a junction box exploding in Clowne not far from here.

A great snow event, times like this I wish I owned a 4x4! 

Is this in the right direction to explain the flashes?

Also sounds like some lines have been have been broken through weight of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just rain/sleet here in Sandhutton (N Yorks, where I am staying for Christmas) but spent the evening on the outskirts of Leeds at my sister's and it turned into a winter wonderland down there!  I think the difference is a combination of lighter precipitation further north and the Leeds area having a bit more elevation.

Posted

Would love to know why none of the roads in South Yorkshire we gritted, including the M1! Having got stuck on the road between it and Rotherham, we eventually gave up and decided to head back to Leeds, having had our snow fix, only to find conditions on the M1 were even worse, and there was still not a single gritter out. 2 and a half hours to get home instead of 40 mins. But at least it snowed I suppose!

Im sorry but posts like this wind m up..... you go looking for snow and then moan when conditions become dangerous?! plus grit will not work when the snow falls at the rate it did up there this evening.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Im sorry but posts like this wind m up..... you go looking for snow and then moan when conditions become dangerous?! plus grit will not work when the snow falls at the rate it did up there this evening.....

Hi mate, I get what you're saying but on the other hand this is a major motorway which should have been gritted. I can drive in snow, a lot of others can't, take the jack-knifed lorry we saw on the other carriageway for example. To say there was only 2 or 3 inches of snow in the area at the time, would you not agree that the M1 should be in a better state than that? After all that is why the highways agency exists right?

• Like 2

Posted

But there is literally nothing that can be done at the time to stop the snow accumulating on the roads at the rate it fell. It would just be a waste of grit. The miles and miles of roads they look after would mean they cant just go up and down the M1 all night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

But there is literally nothing that can be done at the time to stop the snow accumulating on the roads at the rate it fell. It would just be a waste of grit. The miles and miles of roads they look after would mean they cant just go up and down the M1 all night

No of course not, but in 5 hours of driving I didn't see one gritter actually doing anything to combat the problem. And the stretch of motorway in question was only 50 miles at the most. If they can't grit that in 5 hours, then I would suggest they are not fit for purpose. I suspect the people who crashed into the jackknifed lorry might agree!

Posted

Re the grit, with all the rain before hand, it would have washed much of it away and putting grit down on snow when there's not much traffic is just a waste. In addition, could the gritters have got out anyway?

Posted

not sure if this will play but a link to some character skiing down a road in Sheffield some time yesterday evening!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30609469

• Like 3

Posted

With all of the talk of snow it seems the wind aspect of this system was forgotten about. Gusts of over 110mph have been recorded on the south coast, with 80-90mph gusts reported inland, according to the map posted on Twitter, courtesy of Meteogroup.

And not even a yellow warning out for the wind from the MetO!

B50l3HNCcAAlQIS.jpg

Hmm that's definitely now mph even though the map says it is lol, is that 143mph at Portland? It was pretty windy here, but nothing too unusual with it being windier many times last winter and at least once this Autumn. Certainly not 80-90mph inland gusts so must be km/h I'd guess.

Snow....what snow

Storm....what storm  :cray:

A lot of rain in my area since 6pm with some very heavy downpours

Was never too excited about the marginal snow risk but definitely expected wind gusts around now.

Another Paddington Poo weather event, but glad those who got snow did.

Edited by mickeyb44
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

The snow warnings were meant to act like grit, (making roads safer) I think people were hoping they would sound dramatic enough to stop people driving in the snow. Far more effective than gritting. Unless the advice is ignored.

Posted

photo of back garden this morning below

about 3cm of snow, vaying from 2cm to 4cm depending where I measured it, some thaw overnight.

post-847-0-28724800-1419669467_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just seen the news showing stranded motorists on the M1 and in Sheffield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Slight thaw overnight but it cleared to freeze the snow and slush

That's a beautiful video.

Nothing at all here in Sunderland, but a lovely clear morning (approx 1C at present) and I'm about to go out for a run to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

well here in Sheffield we ended up with about 8 inch of snow stil no gritters out nothing going any where only 4 by 4s its a winter wonder land here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter.

think we are about 250 meters above sea level J.Holmes.