Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Boxing Day Snow Event Thoughts And Reports.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

As a front pushes West across Wales/Pennines/Midlands/N England later this afternoon rain will slowly turn to Snow, With some parts forecast a covering of around 4inch. Please use this thread to discuss events/disruption and report where/where not Snow is falling/settling.

nmmuk-1-21-0.png?26-06

Good luck & Merry Christmas! :smiliz19:  

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The north and east Midlands look the best bet for low level settling snow, I'm back in Cannock so I'm delighted!

Posted

Updated from the METO..

A depression will track southeastwards across England and Wales during Boxing Day, clearing
southeast England overnight.A spell of snow is likely, even to lower levels, on the northern
flank of this depression. South of the depression centre,rain will fall, heavy at times.
There is more confidence now in the track of the depression, the main uncertainty revolving
around the balance between rain and snow, which depends on the intensity.  Where snow does
occur accumulations of 2 to 4 cm are likely even to lower levels, with more than 10 cm on
high ground. There is the risk of 10-15 cm, even at low levels, parts of Wales and the
Midlands being most at risk.

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0820 on Fri 26 Dec 2014

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 1500 on Friday and 1200 on Wednesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Low pressure, tracking southeastwards over central and southern England later Boxing Day and overnight into Saturday (27th), is expected to give a period of sleet and snow across the Midlands, some northern parts of East Anglia and southern parts of both NW England and Yorks and Humberside. Some significant snow accumulations are possible, especially on higher ground. Strong winds will develop in places for a time, exacerbating the chill. As the low clears away southeastwards, cold air will move south across the whole of England giving a risk of wintry showers and icy conditions across England for the rest of Saturday. Sunday to Tuesday, high pressure brings lighter winds but with widespread night frosts and freezing fog patches which may linger well into the day in places. The combination of both night time sharp frosts and daytime low temperatures gives a high probability of mean temperatures widely 2�C or lower. Later Wednesday, strengthening southwesterly winds may lift temperatures across northern England but it is likely to remain cold elsewhere.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I expect it to be rain here with the chance it may turn to sleet for a while, @58MASL I don't think I am high enough for anything else.

Posted

Looking at the latest charts, link below, and the track over the last 6 hours, along with the isollobars (pressure falls), would suggest the low is heading for the Bristol Channel area then into the English Channel about the IOW area. Not yet looked at the skew-t's to see what they show or how far north any pppn will get, let alone if the 7 or 8 parameters needed from snow fit. An interesting set up anyway for those interested in this type of set up, and a diversion fro Boxing Day perhaps?

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2014122600&size=standard〈=en&area=eur

try this for your location=will it snow or rain?

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/27989-how-to-try-and-forecast-snow/

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Cold and frosty last night at bed time, this morning it's +5c with rain showers. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

i may see some back edge wintriness if im lucky,and i do mean lucky.

Posted

i may see some back edge wintriness if im lucky,and i do mean lucky.

That 5m above sea level might make all the difference  :wink:

• Like 1

Posted

Downtown L.A. on Snow watch (Littlehampton West Sussex)

Is there a remote possibility of a Channel Low?

Have forgotten when the last one appeared?

Cold and frosty at the moment, may well have to pay a visit to Ditchling Beacon to get some height later today

Posted

I expect some snow, I have a good feeling about this event and I think those on the M4 boundary could just be in the firing line. But if it tracks 50 miles further north then I have absolutely no chance on the contrary 50 miles south & the SE joins in the game. Following EURO4 0z LP had been edging ever so futher south in my eye, somewhere/someone in the midlands is going to strike rich. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It does not feel like snow to me, a few sleet showers at high ground would be my guess !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Hmm I am 50 miles north of the m4 200m asl hoping for a covering at least - chances?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Some snow being reported on high ground in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Pretty confident precipitation will be snow here but the real question is whether it gets this far north, let alone whether it gets north enough to give any good strength snow rather than a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

latest bbc forecast has all but finished my chances of seeing the white stuff,hopefully plenty of other oppurtunities to get dumped on,with snow i mean

Posted

Birmingham seems to be the place to be this evening with the BBC forecasting heavy snow from 7pm. Living in London myself I almost celebrated when I saw an hour of sleet forecast in contrast! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Believe it when I see it falling here, not going to start hopecasting.

Posted

Nowt here i suspect.

Not seen a single flake this winter.

Unusual even for down here.

Winter is shaping up to be as cr#p as the last one.

• Like 1

Posted

Nowt here i suspect.

Best to have an opinion after this event - you are not residing down by the S coast after all.

Posted

Nowt here i suspect.

We didn't even have a marginal event like this last winter, therefore this winter is already better!

• Like 4

Posted

Bristol Boy FYI this year is sooo much better than last year.  We are dry with no floods yet and snow in the forcast.  Your area fairs better than my area every year.  I know because i have a sister in Cheltenham who tells me what the weather is like there and you are not far from there really.  Dont write off this winter yet it has only just started we still have more than 2 months of fun and games to look forward to. :smiliz19:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I will be too low as usual, seems north of my location, more to Stockport eastwards, Nick I managed snow out of a marginal event on 11th Feb last winter, but you were not in Cannock I assume

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Nowt here i suspect.

Wouldn't go as far as unusual mate. December is often a Westerly dominated month and snowfall in March is much more common! 

Still got 2 solid winter months of January and February to go yet. These are the months that produce generally the best snow opportunities. 

Anyway, for tonights event, I think the higher ground of Derbyshire looks a certainty for perhaps decent accumulations. In the fens area it may well be very marginal as it is low lying. Evaporative cooling could help us out if it happens.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1