Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS Op is a poor run but the parallel looks much better and also UKMO still looking good for a decent MLB setting up so not too worried at this stage so long as it doesn't garner support.

Posted

If you think the gfs has that low too far south then take a look at the ukmo 60 hour chart!! Has the low on the south coast!! Snow event across midlands in that case!!

This may seem like a really stupid and basic question but I am really interested to learn, Why is the low significant? Is it snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

If the UKMO has the track correct, then expect snow from Birmingham northwards, and some wet snow across the Chilterns. The GFS has a large warm sector which limits snowfall to Manchester northwards. 

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

bbc weather has heavy rain forecast for saturday night/sunday morning where I live. Surely with those temps it will be snow?

BBC forecasts wont have updated yet, and also 5 day forecasts are very unreliable. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Thanks, and is it good or bad for cold and snow in SE?

The passage of the low itself will bring just rain for the SE, but once the low clears into the near continent and colder NEly kicks in, there is potential for a small window of sleet/snow sat eve/night before it turns drier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

GFS(P) building heights towards Scandi. Could we see a classic undercutting pattern on this run?

post-7073-0-62938000-1419438312_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

When does the GFS retire and become the new model? Is it next year

• Like 1

Posted

The passage of the low itself will bring just rain for the SE, but once the low clears into the near continent and colder NEly kicks in, there is potential for a small window of sleet/snow sat eve/night before it turns drier.

thanks for the clarification.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

UKMO keeps amplification towards Scandi at 144

post-7073-0-70042400-1419438421_thumb.gi

So GFS old is out on its own with flattening out the pattern so soon, which isn't exactly something we haven't seen before.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Indeed, what I see is that low does not engage the cold air to our north east as much, this means the low tracks faster as a shallower feature which is also further south. This I see really as a bad thing as we cannot dig the cold air towards us as the low clears, the result is the models moving to a solution with heights near the UK and cold air going into central Europe.

UKMO and GFS (P) look okay upstream to sheer the ridge and sustain the high over northern Europe

gfs-0-144.png?12

UW144-21.GIF?24-17

GFS op poor upstream and develops a more Euro high motif and turns conditions milder as we end week 1

gfs-0-144.png?12

So back edge snow and a brief window Sunday night into Monday for some wintry showers in eastern areas before the high builds in and suppresses convection.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The problem with the GFS runs longer term is they do not link the toppling ridge with heights to the east so energy just pushes through NE out of Europe instead of curling back W under the ridge. This in turn allows the ridge to sink S and flatten the pattern. UKMO looks better but it is something we want to see the output moving away from quickly.

UN120-21.GIFgfsnh-0-120.png?12

UN144-21.GIFgfsnh-0-144.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well Happy Christmas to one and all at netweather and I was going to attempt a post without mentioning the word snow but on that account I've failed.  ;)

Please don't set yourselves up for a fall (literally) with regards to predicting the precipitation type in your backyard at such timeframes as each run is offering up different scenarios right now and will continue to do so until within 24 hours of the event I would suspect.

I am fairly confident it will most definitely turn a fair bit colder behind the problematic low providing more wintry chances down the line with some luck. The low is problematic due to in some areas there may well be heavy rain, gales and a true snowstorm for some others. Most current emphasis from the media is on this particular depression being largely a rain-maker but there is still uncertainty regarding this aspect and also as ever, concerning the track of the low. Not only that, there is potential for a secondary feature on the 28th December which may provide more excitement for the cold brigade.

Take care all and stay safe.  :w00t:

EDIT: the latest GFS P favours the low stalling somewhat into the early hours of Sunday 28th before clearing away into the continent, this what I presumed was shown as a secondary feature whereas it is likely to be a trailing weather front. In time, I expect more attention to be paid to this feature as this would likely produce snow at lower levels with forecast -6 and -7 uppers in the mix. Eyes on the forecasts guys.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

It might be that a shortwave will have to be the trigger to bring in any deeper cold, this would need to eject south near Scandi and head sw'wards, this will then force a high pressure cell further north.

We've seen this type of set up before and if this is the newer trend then this is most definitely Code Red!

As long as we don't have a Red nose like rudolph!!lol
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Once the low pulls away the models are in good agreement for a quiet end to 2014 with high pressure dominating giving us a colder end to the year with some frost and fog

UW96-21.GIF?24-17UW120-21.GIF?24-17UW144-21.GIF?24-17

UW96-7.GIF?24-17UW120-7.GIF?24-17UW144-7.GIF?24-17

Similar picture from GFS P

gfs-0-96.png?12gfs-0-120.png?12gfs-0-144.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12

gfs-1-96.png?12gfs-1-120.png?12gfs-1-144.png?12gfs-1-168.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I think I'll await the ECM and GFS Ensemble suite to come out before reading too much into the 12 z GFS OP , Parallel and UKMO

I would fully expect to see small adjustments North or South from run to run, of the High pressure and those small adjustment would mean big differences down the line between getting an Easterly setting  or a flattening out of the pattern and a return to mild westerlys. 

But what I have seen thus far this afternoon has stepped away from the idea of a Scandi High ever so slightly.

What I find encouraging is the continue split of the vortex being modeled further out

It should help to keep things interesting from a cold lovers perspective. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think the GFS is a non-starter because of its pattern over in the USA, too flat and unless theres been some drastic change in whats to be expected over there then it won't verify.

The UKMO looks like its thinking of developing a shortwave in Scandi at T144hrs, this for newbies is the most traumatic way to get an easterly in, you need the right curve back in the jet to take this towards the Low Countries.

The shortwave there is effected by the pattern upstream, you need enough dig in the jet to the west of the UK, so its down to the upstream amplification otherwise the shortwave goes se and not sw.

All I can say is be afraid, very afraid...................

I think we need to worry about the downstream amplification as much as worry about what then comes upstream Nick. Without an anchor for the ridge to prevent it collapsing South into Europe there will be less chance of undercut upsteam anyway no matter what the pattern. We need the diving low to be stalled in Europe somewhat instead of just pushing through to aid amplification and connect heights to the NE.

It is a bit six of one and half a dozen of the other but I think both areas need watching closely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Always rely on the GEM when we're in a tight spot

Well it is Christmas, the time of miracles so you never know :) lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GFS ens

gens-21-1-192.png?12

Support some sort of high over Northern Europe and a light continental feed, 850s are not particularly cold but the surface temperatures are (low single figures for most). So still a spell of surface cold to come when the low clears, though we do need things to trend the other way to bring a colder snowy solution

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

GEM links heights to the NE allowing the flow to loop back West

gemnh-0-174.png?12

This keeps the block from sinking and allows the undercut later.

gemnh-0-228.png?12

This why the link up of heights is important as it props up the high and without it the high would be at a lower latitude and the undercut would very likely not occur later but instread go over the block sinking it

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2