Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted

Looking at the ECM postage stamps still quite a lot of variation in the position of the high at T120hrs, theres only minority support there for the UKMO solution:

attachicon.gif120.gif

Still uncertainty in terms of snowfall, some of those ensembles look more showery for the east and se, others drier for the whole of the UK.

Genoa lows galore on those postage stamps, or at least within a few hundred miles - the classic signature of a cold snap in the UK. Great, great potential therefore for more wintery weather at T120, anything beyond is FI I'd say. And to think a few days ago it seemed this was going to be a two day toppler!

• Like 3

Posted

before  i go on the Santa  run quick look at the models  dare i say it snow for us on DEC 28 !!! roll   on later i can put me feet up and have a drink  or2!!

post-4629-0-06082700-1419431796_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-73736000-1419431803_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-82663100-1419431809_thumb.pn

Edited by tinybill
  • Like 4

Posted

Genoa lows galore on those postage stamps, or at least within a few hundred miles - the classic signature of a cold snap in the UK. Great, great potential therefore for more wintery weather at T120, anything beyond is FI I'd say. And to think a few days ago it seemed this was going to be a two day toppler!

Yes the Genoa Low is one thing you want to see, the UKMO however I'm not keen on as that moves the main low heights too far east and the high is not favourably orientated. At this point I think its an outlier solution given the other operational runs and the ECM ensembles. We preferably want to see a ne/sw high alignment towards Scandi. However it looks like a dramatic change over mainland Europe with the eternal Autumn/Spring like conditions coming to an end.

For those who have got skiing holidays booked in the near future conditions should improve dramatically, I'm sure theres big relief amongst all the ski resorts, at least these can salvage the festive period.

• Like 3

Posted

Could be an interesting boxing day snow event for those on higher ground north of the Midlands as the 12z pushes the small low further south. Dewpoints look too high for those on lower ground, but one to keep an eye on (especially with further shifts south)

54-101UK.GIF?24-12

54-574UK.GIF?24-12

UKMO further south too

UW60-21.GIF?24-16

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Shortwave less deep and further south again and now crosses the midlands at 48 hours :0!!!

No charts posted, can you explain if that's good or bad as some of the readers don't know much about shortwaves..

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Shallower shortwave is better because the warm sector is less.

However, because the shortwave is shallower, we see high pressure falling further South-East on this run with less amplification which could have consequences for the longer term as it sends the deeper cold South into Europe rather than advecting it Westwards over the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Shallower shortwave is better because the warm sector is less.

However, because the shortwave is shallower, we see high pressure falling further South-East on this run with less amplification which could have consequences for the longer term as it sends the deeper cold South into Europe rather than advecting it Westwards over the UK

Great! Thanks Daniel, still some time to go though, lots of changes after the big day :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Shortwave less deep and further south again and now crosses the midlands at 48 hours :0!!!

what does that mean please?

(Im still learning :) )

I think he means the low moving SE across central parts Friday/Saturday. It's one of those grumbles John Holmes and I have, as we tend to use 'shortwave' to refer to a shortwave upper trough rather than the actual surface low refered to.

Not sure how the use of the shortwave word instead of low pressure has crept into popular nomenclature on here, but as its Christmas, I let everyone off :smiliz19:

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 8

Posted

GFS(P) keeps the shortwave a deeper feature, so even at this very short timeframe we still haven't got model agreement! 

The GFS(P) does bring a widespread snow event

post-7073-0-82983900-1419437308_thumb.pn

I can't wait for the Parallel to go live, having two different GFS models is annoying and probably doesn't help with working out thats going to happen

• Like 1

Posted

I think he means the low moving SE across central parts Friday/Saturday. It's one of those grumbles John Holmes and I have, as we tend to use 'shortwave' to refer to a shortwave upper trough rather than the actual surface low refered to.

Thanks, and is it good or bad for cold and snow in SE?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

this afternoons GFS is doing its best to flatten the pattern fairly quickly and leave us in the dreaded bartlett is it no progressive as usual it would not be the first time

gfs-0-144.png?12?12

Edited by igloo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Things looking good for early jan perhaps?

Yeah, a Bartlett high looks very unlikely.

• Like 1

Posted

this afternoons GFS is doing its best to flatten the pattern fairly quickly and leave us in the dreaded bartlett is it no progressive as usual it would not be the first time

gfs-0-144.png?12?12

Not a Bartlett mate....

However the pattern on both the GFS and GFSP seems to have shifted a little south.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted

If you think the gfs has that low too far south then take a look at the ukmo 60 hour chart!! Has the low on the south coast!! Snow event across midlands in that case!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO making less of the warm sector on Saturday as the shortwave passes through. That would enhance snow chances further West and to lower levels in the North.

UW60-7.GIF?24-16

• Like 5

Posted

UKMO, GFS and GFS(P) All in fairly good agreement with the tracking at least, intensity varies between the models.

Snow risk across Northern areas in particular seems to be increasing, even to lower levels too. The Midlands South perhaps some back edge snowfall? Hard to say, really need to wait until it comes within range of the high res models before looking at that kind of detail.

GFS(P) doesn't seem to be flattening the pattern quite as fast as it's GFS counterpart. The GFS hasn't exactly covered itself in glory these last few days though.

EDIT: UKMO and GFS(P) similar with the amplification. GFS flatterns faster than both

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 2