Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted

Not great ECM ensembles. The pattern looks like flattening out with an invigorated PV over Greenland and a strong North Atlantic jet. Looks like the game is up on chasing the Easterly for now...

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

@danholley_: Still large amounts of uncertainty over Boxing Day's low; 12z EURO4 turns rain increasingly to snow over Wales + parts of W Mids on Fri eve

Dan is a meteorologist for Weatherquest and BBC look East Weather presenter.

• Like 4

Posted

Hopefully ian fergie can shed a bit more light on this weekends low!! Am not really looking to far ahead when we got some excitement snowise in less 60 hours!! But that low keeps pushing south steadily!! My thinking is it will eventually run directly though the midlands!

Be careful what you wish for... low might end up South of the South Coast by this rate :whistling:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I really think there should be greater emphasis on the short term gain for cold synoptics rather than star gazing beyond next week for something less cold, this happens too often on here. We have a week of cold weather guaranteed and beyond that, things will keep changing and the cold spell could go on and on and morph into something snowier

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Difficult to see snow on the 27th of the month.

According to the maps( GFS model) only in central England and from the 300m and above.

The precipitation but there is few

I wouldn't rely on precipitation forecasts shown by models, certainly not at that range. Here's just a couple of examples of even shorter range forecasts for Central Southern England from earlier this year, which have led to me getting soaked by several hours of heavy rain when I was expecting dry conditions:

Example 1:

Forecast - Dry: post-992-0-38371900-1419453139_thumb.png Actual - Heavy Rain: post-992-0-81159200-1419453164_thumb.png

Example 2:

Forecast - Dry: post-992-0-31004400-1419453404_thumb.png Actual - Heavy Rain: post-992-0-21712800-1419453465_thumb.png

The differences are truly astounding.

In the situation on 27th/28th I have my eye on the occluded front on the fax charts that is travelling down from Iceland behind the cut-off low: post-992-0-08491600-1419453781_thumb.pngpost-992-0-41413000-1419453797_thumb.pngpost-992-0-41355400-1419455044_thumb.pngpost-992-0-74426700-1419455078_thumb.pngpost-992-0-24107200-1419453814_thumb.png

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted

Just like to remind pepole that every run is different neither two are the exact same.

So at the moment ECM and GFS want the high pressure to get kicked out of the uk then the pain odd mild old West huts the uk and end of story.

However as I said it's just ONE run it may become a trend or it may not that's what model watching is all about guys and girls.

Take the GFS for example.

Yesterday it was the star of the show in the pub run. With cold to very cold conditions for most of the run

Now look at it. What do we have now?

The pub run tonight i think may be better for coldies but we shall see.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

@danholley_: Still large amounts of uncertainty over Boxing Day's low; 12z EURO4 turns rain increasingly to snow over Wales + parts of W Mids on Fri eve

Dan is a meteorologist for Weatherquest and BBC look East Weather presenter.

To Be Honest, I cant see any detail that far out at the moment, Lots of changes even into the nearer time frame... :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

To Be Honest, I cant see any detail that far out at the moment, Lots of changes even into the nearer time frame... :nonono:

I don't think anyone can tbh, he has access to the Euro4 model out longer than we can see however

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1

Posted

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

post-10703-0-12727100-1419456253_thumb.g

A build of heights into Scandinavia for the new year on that ... but I'm starting to lose my mind with model watching, anything beyond about T72 seems utterly useless at the moment.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Added in chart
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/500mb.php

A build of heights into Scandinavia for the new year on that ... but I'm starting to lose my mind with model watching, anything beyond about T72 seems utterly useless at the moment.

Sure is a truly remarkable run of inconsistant runs from all models, reminds me of the true blues against the dirty yellows! Edited by Nicholas B

Posted

t72 fax shows how things can change in 12 hours when fast forming depressions are involved

A chart and clue would be nice or are we sposed to guess. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Even further South on the 18z, only by about 50 miles but it makes all the difference when it comes to how far South the snow will come

post-7073-0-44412000-1419457735_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS 18z really going for snow chance for central areas Saturday Am

northern areas, my location needs the low to track further south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

I know a lot of people criticise this 10 Day Mean Chart chart saying it doesn't represent a true picture of Synoptics likely at that time and while I can see where people are coming from it is far from a useless tool in seeing where the balance of the situation is biased and though it wobbled towards a cold Euro High for a while recently it never quite shown it being a reality and tonight's chart reflects the biggest slide yet into milder territory after a post Christmas cold period.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

Edited by Gibby
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Trouble is, if the operational runs can't come to a solution with tracking of the low and then the orientation of high pressure afterwards, how can we expect the ensembles too? In situations like this when the whole pattern is balancing on a knife, the mean charts are utterly useless because any signal there might be gets muted by charts going off in the other direction.

But if this becomes reality it will of proven to of been the best guide yet as it is the one chart that has not changed majorly in recent days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

But if this becomes reality it will of proven to of been the best guide yet as it is the one chart that has not changed majorly in recent days.

Only by coincidence - There have been many, many times where the mean has been utterly wrong at that time frame because the signal gets watered down and eventually muted out

• Like 6

Posted

whilst the ecm mean and extended ens are not showing too much of easterly interest, the uppers spreads still provide for a nor'easter and until they don't, the ridge getting far enough North cannot be discounted.

In the distance, the mean still provides for upper Scandi ridge and se euro trough which could jut about get the cold this for and at the very least allows for the uk to be in any battleground that might evolve between the air masses. Given the week 2 GEFS members and indeed the Gfs ops, that should come as no surprise.

• Like 5

Posted

I know a lot of people criticise this 10 Day Mean Chart chart saying it doesn't represent a true picture of Synoptics likely at that time and while I can see where people are coming from it is far from a useless tool in seeing where the balance of the situation is biased and though it wobbled towards a cold Euro High for a while recently it never quite shown it being a reality and tonight's chart reflects the biggest slide yet into milder territory after a post Christmas cold period.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

The ensemble mean  is generally the best tool to use at day 10 as it verifies the best,however in this case there is a high spread of solutions around Scandinavia on that ECM chart,so much lower confidence on this occasion.

• Like 3

Posted

I know a lot of people criticise this 10 Day Mean Chart chart saying it doesn't represent a true picture of Synoptics likely at that time and while I can see where people are coming from it is far from a useless tool in seeing where the balance of the situation is biased and though it wobbled towards a cold Euro High for a while recently it never quite shown it being a reality and tonight's chart reflects the biggest slide yet into milder territory after a post Christmas cold period.http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

Like all the models, the ECM mean made an utter pigs ear of the phantom North-Atlantic block. I agree with other posters, though I always look at the ECM mean and consider it, I think we need to get the events of Saturday out of the way before I can take any model seriously at 10 days right now. Anything from an Atlantic return, to a full-blown easterly with ridging from Scandi towards Greenland, is possible to me at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

I know a lot of people criticise this 10 Day Mean Chart chart saying it doesn't represent a true picture of Synoptics likely at that time and while I can see where people are coming from it is far from a useless tool in seeing where the balance of the situation is biased and though it wobbled towards a cold Euro High for a while recently it never quite shown it being a reality and tonight's chart reflects the biggest slide yet into milder territory after a post Christmas cold period.http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

For me that is a typical chart that the models spew out with monotonous regularity in situations like this for the UK. It is a bit like predicting that either Chelsea or Man City will win the League; i.e. the safe bet. It may well end up being right but I have a feeling we have a few surprises to come. History tells us that blocks to the East are harder to shift than the models give them credit for.

Merry Christmas all!

• Like 5