Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Frosty , I absolutely love your positivity and hope !

I'm just finding IT difficult to follow on here because for every 4 comment favouring the cold there is then 1 or 2 comments taking it away!

Appreciate that nobody knows and there is still a massive chunk of winter to come.

I think the problem is when posters assess mean/averages 9 plus days away.Not knocking that by the way,just saying it is the study of themes that do not necessesarily varify.There is plenty to look forward to upto and including the weekend.

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/fax/fax84s.gif?2  the dotted line is the 528 Dam line splitting the UK and can mean snow especially on hills.

Thereafter an easterly with some strong winds for a time.

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?2  not the latest fax but you get the "drift".

The probable outcome is then settled weather and hopefully the MLB will move n/e to Scandanavia

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2014122400/gfs-0-192.png?0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Morning all! I have been a member of this forum for a long time, and I cannot recall a more complex and unpredictable period of model watching! Once the LP on Fri/Sat is past it must surely get a bit more "steady", but in which direction will it head? The models seem interested in building heights over Scandinavia, but there is also an argument to be made for a flatter, more zonal pattern. FWIW i think we will end up with a HP centred over the Shetlands with a slack E'ly flow, bringing cold and dry conditons over the country - seasonal but not snowy.

Posted

Morning all

Not much change in the overall outputs so no major dramas although the UKMO looks the least likely to develop a deeper cold easterly.

Its high orientation and low heights much further east in the Med, you really need low pressure over northern Italy to underpin the block and help to pull the deeper cold further west.

Apart from the UKMO the models all show varying degrees of easterly influence, the difficulty for the UK is often getting the block sufficiently north and orientated in such a manner that it can tap into the coldest air otherwise this heads sw into mainland Europe.

So at the moment this is the main uncertainty, deep cold or surface cold type inversion scenario?

In terms of the upstream pattern that is expected to remain reasonably amplified in response to the ridge into Alaska, this generally means that the lowest heights will remain further north, shortwave interaction with the PV will tend to shear some of this nw, it could help develop the easterly as this might help carve more dig of the jet to the west of the UK.

Overall a seasonal spell of weather coming up but the million dollar question, snow and deep cold still to be resolved.

My post might seem rather less than excited but easterlies and what they bring can vary, often the mere mention of an easterly in here draws up visions of Lake Effect Snow off the North Sea, I know people have been patient and put up with a long drawn out affair so far but I think we're just going to have to see how this develops.

So yet more patience needed! that's been the mantra for the last week!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Thought I would have a look out of interest at the ECM Mean for the last 4 00z out puts for the 31st. If you take a look, what is clear in terms of "trend", is that where heights were shown as being to our south on the run from the 21st for the 31st December, with each run that has passed, the heights have transferred to the NE. Let's hope this trend continues.

Sorry if it seems an odd thing to do, but I thought it would highlight the current situation and where we may go more importantly, especially with what the GFS has been chucking out on it's venture to the pub last night!

21st D10

EDH1-240.GIF?00

22nd D9

EDH1-216.GIF?00

23rd D8

EDH1-192.GIF?00

24th D7

EDH1-168.GIF?00

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Morning everyone. Quite possibly the start of something special. My brother who works at the Met office has just rang me to wish me a Merry Xmas and said that the Easterly flow will strengthen during January with very low temperatures expected. He also said not much snow unless low pressure bumps into its Southern edge.

Bit sceptical of this. Its like these "my friend in the council told me gritters are on code red for snowmageddon" type posts.

I don't think any professional forecaster would say something will happen that far ahead.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 3

Posted

Bit sceptical of this. Its like these "my friend in the council told me gritters are on code red for snowmageddon" type posts.

I don't think any professional forecaster would say something will happen that far ahead.

.....(edited)

Edited by John Snow

Posted

Anyway....can we go towards the models and away from character assassination please?? It's Christmas after all :-) 

• Like 8

Posted

Thought I would have a look out of interest at the ECM Mean for the last 4 00z out puts for the 31st. If you take a look, what is clear in terms of "trend", is that where heights were shown as being to our south on the run from the 21st for the 31st December, with each run that has passed, the heights have transferred to the NE. Let's hope this trend continues.

Sorry if it seems an odd thing to do, but I thought it would highlight the current situation and where we may go more importantly, especially with what the GFS has been chucking out on it's venture to the pub last night!

21st D10

EDH1-240.GIF?00

22nd D9

EDH1-216.GIF?00

23rd D8

EDH1-192.GIF?00

24th D7

EDH1-168.GIF?00

Thanks Karlos that's a great way of seeing how the ECM ensembles have developed that ridge into Alaska and sharpened up the troughing to the west of the UK, each step has developed that dig of cold air further south into the USA as the amplitude increased.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hmmmmmmm really ?

1. Wouldn't he ring you tomorrow??

2. What is his job there?

could be fergie lol

C.S

• Like 3

Posted

Second ECM control run on the trot to show a very cold, fairly snowy easterly for debilt. Think this forum would have gone in to meltdown if the op had shown this scenario.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

I work for the council lol, to be honest we only go off what met office says and what we can all see on the website with regard to warnings ect, they don't hide anything, its a public service :) 

• Like 3