Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Run In To Christmas

Posted

Day 10 ECM ensemble mean is virtually a carbon copy of the 00z. :smiliz64:

attachicon.gifEDH101-240.gif

i noted this on the cpc chart a couple days ago but that ens anomoly is beginning to look a lot like the lrf's .................  (it also means it looks like cpc D+11 gfs superens from two days ago which is notable for consistency)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

mean, spread and anomoly

attachicon.gifEDM1-240.gif                 attachicon.gifEEM1-240.gif                  attachicon.gifEDM101-240.gif

mean is great for cold

spread shows a big cluster of runs sink the high close to ireland

anomoly is great for cold

of course, it doesnt mean that the last two gfs suites didnt happen nor the ecm op but it does mean that in general, not a lot has changed. the envelope remains reasonably broad but the cold solution is still the favoured one. (and potentially v wintry judging by the anomolys)

Certainly happy with that, it might topple but a solid 3-5 days at least where snow could fall almost anywhere given that disturbances could develop and run south through the country. Lets hope it sticks and the other models back it.  :w00t:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

dummies out dummies in every time. Give it time for gods sake.

Well ,A great explanation on tonights models :w00t:

Edited by Polar Maritime
To edit quoted post.
  • Like 7

Posted

all i say  DEC  30 looks interesting  low of 970  over  ireland

post-4629-0-75538900-1418935564_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Having just looked through the GEFS I actually think they are pretty good. Not quite as good as the 06z set but the difference really is just within the margins of natural variability. Peeps should really just view the opp runs as ensemble members at long range and it just so happens these ones were at the milder end of things.

Will we get a white Christmas (at least down south anyway)? Odds against in my view. Will we see a cold spell between Christmas and new year? Odds heavily in favour in my view looking at the varoius longer term offerings.

Edited by Jason M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Coldies will have to wait till January for any significant cold IMO. The charts look like mush to me. Hope i'm wrong though but the promised cold just isn't getting to our shores and keeps retrograding. Some terrible perturbations on the GEFS ensembles.

Edited by Carlrg
  • Like 1

Posted

This is but a fleeting visit but an uncanny similarity  between these two charts from two somewhat different sources.

Courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-90716300-1418935657_thumb.p

post-12275-0-00961900-1418935753_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

I did predict last night we may see up and down emotions as we no doubt will see varied output and this is most definitely the case, you can't expect the perfect run to then make it all the way to 0 hours without the usual variable changes you see at that range regardless the type of set up nevermind the more complicated cold set ups. 

Theres still the trend and hints things may turn colder and there is a chance it could be significantly colder but those shortwaves are a right nuisance and until we know how these are going to behave, then how can you possibly believe what the rest of the output regardless what it shows.

Some patience will be needed but the trend in the leading up to xmas is most definately a North-South split with Southern areas remaining very mild whilst more Northern areas could enter the colder air at times, how far South these PM shots head is open to a bit of doubt mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

An I the only one thinking that the ECM Synoptics could deliver a great solution further down the line? Short term pain for long term gain?

Nope as i alluded a few post's back, To me it's looking like a stronger push of cold after the Christmas cool/cold shot.

Guys ,

I posted this morning re the above ...

It looks as though the first attempt at cold by the GFSP is far to quick for lasting cold. (Maybe give us some snow at XMAS though).

The GFS is still a dog's dinner  and may need until monday or tuesday before it gets the trend correct ....

The ECM looks to be about the right speed as Tamarra and OldMetMan have suggested as per when the atmosphere will be correctly loaded for a lasting cold/very cold spell. 

My post earlier said it may well follow a 1962 style run-up with a midlevel high  block off North west Scotland gradually moving into Scandanavia  and joining up with its big brother from the East. Afterwards the whole lot regressed to Iceland and we were stuck in freezing conditions for months.

The latest ECM now reminds me of 1956 (feb)  where the arrival of extreme cold was quick and very aggressive. A depression to the northwest suddenly decided it had had enough of fighting the block over northern europe and went on its holidaays straight over central England to the Mediterranean. The cold and gales for two days was intense with 5foot drifts everywhere. even on low ground.

I remember the MO didn't pick it up til late on (12hours) and it was  a great shock to many people though admittedly it was made worse because Europe had been very cold that year.

So don't be in tooo much of a rush bloggers . Slow and steady  is the way....

So as my previous post suggested we may have much to gain from the slower evolution. Its almost the longer it takes the worse (better?)  and more intense it will be.

MIA

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Coldies will have to wait till January for any significant cold IMO. The charts look like mush to me. Hope i'm wrong though but the promised cold just isn't getting to our shores and keeps retrograding. Some terrible pertubations on the Gem ensembles.

ECM Mean would disagree with you..... big time 

EDH1-216.GIF?18-0EDH0-216.GIF?18-0

December and cold..... not January

• Like 6

Posted

I think we need to see the ECM drop these western based negative NAO's operational runs ASAP, like tomorrow morning!

Eventually Flash Gordon loses his nine lives and the ensemble ledge which he manages to keep landing  on is no longer there.

The higher resolution operational is desperate to go in one direction, so far the ensembles aren't interested. The actual descent into the mild quagmire started from T168hrs tonight so I think we'll get a resolution by tomorrow evening, not perhaps fine detail wise but which trend is correct.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Not buying into any cold spell perhaps fleeting cold as low pressure passes through!.

I'm more skeptical now as the charts are not nowhere as good as yesterday.

Really feeling it's going to be a close call country wide but certainly in the north.

Although we could end up with heights over the uk which may move towards Scandinavia if the lower heights manage to move into Eastern Europe.

But there is a certain shift of the pattern being further east but have a feeling a settled but homegrown cold could be the picture after Boxing Day and beyond.

• Like 1

Posted

That ecm mean is an absolute beauty! ! Lets start of with the 18z going in the right direction before worrying about what the ecm shows tomorrow! ! If 18z shows something better then am pretty certain ecm will ditch the western nao at 216 240 hours!! Just a feeling! !

Posted

Confused.com

Who's interpretation is telling the truth?

Tell me about it. Its like supporting the Palace, a rollacoaster out of control. 7 days out an no one has the foggiest for C day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Guys ,

I posted this morning re the above ...

It looks as though the first attempt at cold by the GFSP is far to quick for lasting cold. (Maybe give us some snow at XMAS though).

The GFS is still a dog's dinner  and may need until monday or tuesday before it gets the trend correct ....

The ECM looks to be about the right speed as Tamarra and OldMetMan have suggested as per when the atmosphere will be correctly loaded for a lasting cold/very cold spell. 

My post earlier said it may well follow a 1962 style run-up with a midlevel high  block off North west Scotland gradually moving into Scandanavia  and joining up with its big brother from the East. Afterwards the whole lot regressed to Iceland and we were stuck in freezing conditions for months.

The latest ECM now reminds me of 1956 (feb)  where the arrival of extreme cold was quick and very aggressive. A depression to the northwest suddenly decided it had had enough of fighting the block over northern europe and went on its holidaays straight over central England to the Mediterranean. The cold and gales for two days was intense with 5foot drifts everywhere. even on low ground.

I remember the MO didn't pick it up til late on (12hours) and it was  a great shock to many people though admittedly it was made worse because Europe had been very cold that year.

So don't be in tooo much of a rush bloggers . Slow and steady  is the way....

So as my previous post suggested we may have much to gain from the slower evolution. Its almost the longer it takes the worse (better?)  and more intense it will be.

MIA

This post certainly sums up what i,v been thinking of posting tonight .i would also like to say that many of us knock the models at around about 168 hrs forward but they do sometimes latch onto something at that range ,then drop it in their number crunching only to bring it back ,tonights ECM 240 hrs could in fact turn up in about 6/7 days time .as far as GFS runs [both ]it would not surprise me that we will soon start seeing some very wild swings ,as we have seen today .So at this point tonight i think the real uncertainty starts about next fri/saturday ,one post that caught my eye tonight mentioned how good all models latched on to the late nov /dec synoptics in 2010 ,well it was awaiting ,how things are great in hindsight .still tonight at this point i feel very excited of the following interesting times ahead ,and hoping today as just been a blip on the way to a possible pattern change ,Stellas all round gang . :smiliz64:  :drinks:

• Like 5