Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Run In To Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

D10 on the P and everything moved east so cold but drier. A shift of several hundred miles west in that setup would be very snowy:

post-14819-0-92854800-1418899750_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

The half way house would be cold and snowy for all I would imagine though?

Is it the start of the down grades though???. Seen it many a time before, the excitement, then the down beat and disappointment. I've been a member on here for a couple of years now, but never seen charts upgrade to snowier solutions. They have always sniffed out cold solutions that look amazing, but by the time we get to D.0 they are always a major watered down version

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

WOMD - I think the main reason America can forecast slightly easier at slightly longer range is that they are not a little island sat under the path of a jet stream.  I think the UK is guaranteed to get colder post Xmas, but the variables are huge and the slightest change in the Atlantic can have huge effects on our little island.

Thanks Ali1977  :friends:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I think one of the stumbling blocks to more amplification of the ridge over the far N Atlantic in across Greenland that we are seeing on the 06z GFS op and the 00z ECMWF is the flow upstream over N America not playing ball.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=0&ech=6&carte=1

Using the link above, if you hover over the time frames and work down toward t+150, you can see on the loop that a trough deepens over eastern US, this is what will help amplify a ridge downstream over the NW Atlantic. Problem is, the trough over eastern US does not hang around for long before a flatter 500mb flow develops from upstream - which doesn't allow a block to develop mid-Atlantic. Rather the ridge quickly flattens out.

More runs needed, but unless we see the flow more amplified upstream over N America to help slow the trough over the east, then I wouldn't get ready to go panicking buying and stocking up on esstentials just yet! Off topic, but dare I say it maybe the MetO are justified to remain cautious!

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted

^^^ Yes the interesting setup remains but the question has always been whether the amplification was going to develop into a block and have some longevity or was it going to be just transient amplification. It showed promise for a block for a few runs but the 06z suggests just a toppler at best on the Op & P. Obviously the 06z so the 12z will provide more conclusive evidence. But we are heading into the more certain output now so a flip today would unlikely be flopped.

:help:

P at D13 on 06z: post-14819-0-01554600-1418900219_thumb.p 0z: post-14819-0-95009000-1418900229_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Thanks to all that answered my question earlier - it has certainly helped to improve my understanding.  :cold:  :friends:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Is it the start of the down grades though???. Seen it many a time before, the excitement, then the down beat and disappointment. I've been a member on here for a couple of years now, but never seen charts upgrade to snowier solutions. They have always sniffed out cold solutions that look amazing, but by the time we get to D.0 they are always a major watered down version

So have I John and i'm not taking anything for granted yet.. we'll have to just wait and see how it unfolds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS P snow depth charts are not as widespread with the snow on this run

Christmas day 06z

174-780PUK.GIF?18-6

18z

186-780PUK.GIF?17-18

Boxing day 06z

198-780PUK.GIF?18-6

18z

210-780PUK.GIF?17-18

Saturday 27th 06z

222-780PUK.GIF?18-6

18z

240-780PUK.GIF?17-18

We had no 00z update at 0.25° so thats why I've had to use the 18z snow is still showing just not as widespread or as deep on this run. Only one run of course but until anything is showing in the reliable I remain cautious

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Think we should await this evenings output and see if the 12z moves towards the 06z output. But it does seem like at the moment the European model is leading the way. And we have to remember this is the top model in the verification stats. So guess it's a waiting game again. Let's see where we are tonight. Still don't think this will be resolved until the weekend at the earliest. But the feeling I get is that both the gfs and gfsp will move towards the ECM outlook in the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I think that the difference between the GFS Parallel and the 'old', is that the P has the a much faster evolution.

You can see this from the charts already posted pre +150. As a result of the quicker evolution the P does not allow any intervening shortwaves to slow down the evolution.  It is quick and clean.

The GFS traditional model seems to be much slower, and it is now only slightly faster the the ECM.

However coldies, it may not be a bad thing.

Both the normal GFS and the ECM  look to be on path for a much longer cold shot via the midlevel block they show which is already showing signs of moving into the traditional Scandi high location in FI.(that is how 62 started).  Whereas the P  shows very wet and stormy conditions being spread throughout the NH  now being shown by the P for  the new year. 

It may well be that the atmosphere is not quite primed yet for the P solution. By the time the ECM  and GFS get there (2or 3days later) it may well be that  it is fully loaded.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Little change in the mean at D9 from the 0z: post-14819-0-89445400-1418901587_thumb.p post-14819-0-95355000-1418901595_thumb.p

The difference is that the hi-res have moved towards the ensembles where as in the last few runs they have been the most amplified. So no changes if you have been looking at the mean for guidance. Interestingly the spread over the UK has reduced and now the uncertainty has moved across the continent:

post-14819-0-77692500-1418901771_thumb.p post-14819-0-46578100-1418901780_thumb.p

The mean uppers on Christmas Day for London is now 0c (average). This morning it was -5c so quite a turn around: post-14819-0-72964300-1418901963_thumb.g

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 5

Posted

Whilst I agree with Ian that the met office shouldn't "scare" the public with warnings of snow etc I don't see why they can't just forecast the most likely scenario!? Their latest forecast (below) fof the period Boxing Day to new year bares no resemblance to any of the models / means we can see! Can Ian update us as to whether this fits in with models he can see ie MOGREPS ?

"Showers will likely ease during Boxing Day. Thereafter, it is thought it will be generally windy throughout with further spells of wet and mild weather, interspersed with colder, showery conditions. "

so what is wrong with that outlook?

To me it seems reasonable UNTIL any more definitie signals show consistently?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Uncertainty has increased drastically for -EPO ridge.

gensnh-22-1-216.png?6

gensnh-22-1-228.png?0

FI has drawn closer so we should stick to the 5-7 day rule.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

IF anything the ensembles are now even more keen on increasing heights in the greenland locale and the -EPO ridge is stronger.

6z gensnh-21-5-264.png?6gensnh-21-1-264.png?6

0zgensnh-21-5-288.png?0gensnh-21-1-276.png?0

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

IF anything the ensembles are now even more keen on increasing heights in the greenland locale.

6z gensnh-21-5-264.png?60zgensnh-21-5-288.png?0

It's definitely too early to call this one. I concur, if people look at the ensembles blocking is even more prevalent now (scroll forward to between 192 and 240 hours which is where all this takes place) http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php

Posted

Still some cold and snowy charts at D10 on the GEFS. In fact the mix here is similar to the 0z with the exception the wintry ones are in the ensembles rather than the hi-res runs:

post-14819-0-15734500-1418902509_thumb.p  My 2 favs: post-14819-0-06668900-1418902552_thumb.p post-14819-0-20872100-1418902560_thumb.p

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 3

Posted

With regard to this morning's ECM D10 chart where I said it was another outlier, it continues to not disappoint:

post-14819-0-80121100-1418902916_thumb.g

London temps about 7c above the mean!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

With regard to this morning's ECM D10 chart where I said it was another outlier, it continues to not disappoint:

attachicon.gifensemble-tt6-london (9).gif

London temps about 7c above the mean!!

Which means that the majority of ensemble members will have that depression crossing as a channel low...........hmmm

or to edit looking again - keep the ridge in place

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 7

Posted

Which means that the majority of ensemble members will have that depression crossing as a channel low...........hmmm

or to edit looking again - keep the ridge in place

Yep either way  good news in respect to the ensembles  lets hope the 12z op  moves more towards these