Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Run In To Christmas

Posted

I'm posting a lot today, a very reputable mountain forecast (MWIS) website I regularly look at is also stating in longer range outlook - signs of much colder weather for all (mountain regions includes Wales and Peak District) post Christmas. It is often very conservative like the meto forecasts, this is another very encouraging sign for the colder evolutions shown in the models to verify at Christmas.

Lets wait and see if the Met also hint at such a scenario - if signals persist I can only say it will be a matter of time probably Friday earliest, Sat latest at it will then be within reliable timeframe.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Maybe Ian Ferguson can comment on UKMO on metoceil

Données pour les cartes UKMO entre 6h et 72h partiellement revenues (Z500/T850 de 12h en 12h) mais instable !

Data for 12-72h UKMO charts partially back (Z500/T850 at 12h interval) but instable availability !

Written in red and has the loss of Low pressure system for NE US. Has data for this region been lost or satellite data not reading.

Pre 96z the data is only there for Eurasia.

Has this skewed possible cold spell?

The low pressure cell is only just starting to form by 144z for the n/e conus.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014121712/gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Cracking set of ensembles around the 25th

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Edited by winterof79

Posted

fergieweather, on 17 Dec 2014 - 20:27, said:snapback.png

Update from Ian FVaried colder NW/northerly types by 28th onwards

Good update from ian if you wouldn't mind posting a link that would be great :)

I could also see the potential over the past 24 hours more so today of a start n/nw flow but as new year approaches a increasing n/ne flow. (Would post charts explaining but currently unable). This is why i have been even more encouraged to see eastern europe primed to go cold.

Plenty of possibilities but still a while to go :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well now I'm not so sure what model to belive just watched bbc news 24 further outlook and they say cold xmas eve xmas day before milder atlantic air moves in Boxing Day. I'm wondering if there in house models are painting something very different to what we're seeing from the gfs runs. #confused.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd like to see what charts the Met Office have available as they seem to be different to all the models available for public consumption. Long range forecast just on now, was saying Christmas Eve likely to be coldest day, milder and wet on Boxing Day - none of the models show this..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'd like to see what charts the Met Office have available as they seem to be different to all the models available for public consumption. Long range forecast just on now, was saying Christmas Eve likely to be coldest day, milder and wet on Boxing Day - none of the models show this..

Well all of today's NWP & ensemble suites would have to be fairly wrong for that to be the case as most of the modelling shows colder weather attempting to set in on or around Boxing day.

That's not to say this will happen of course but as of today, that's what modelling is showing.

Posted

It is safe to say that a cold snap or even a severe cold snap is a 99.9% certainty in the Xmas day to new year period, all of the models are in broad agreement bar the finer details so with not a single model out on a limb it will take a miracle for a cold snap not to happen

It is certain to turn cold, it is certain some areas will get snow, it's just a question of how much and where

Exciting times ahead

• Like 1

Posted

The low pressure cell is only just starting to form by 144z for the n/e conus.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014121712/gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Cracking set of ensembles around the 25th

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Your absolutely right, ale has skew whiffed my model reading regarding LP in US. Formation is there for 23rd through 24th, what a big part player of the upper stream it is.

It opens the gate for what GFS.ECM are showing for 26th Dec for UK.

Posted

Well all of today's NWP & ensemble suites would have to be fairly wrong for that to be the case as most of the modelling shows colder weather attempting to set in on or around Boxing day.

That's not to say this will happen of course but as of today, that's what modelling is showing.

Yes it makes you wonder.. Would it be the glosea model..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I saw that too re the extended BBC outlook. That forecast of a milder Boxing Day doesn't seem to tally up with this though...

post-12760-0-61189300-1418854216_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well except this

ECM1-216.GIF?17-0

Though it still looks cold at this point, I'm guessing other models want to place low pressure closer to the UK and introduce milder weather. It could of course be transient anyway if the forecast was specifically focusing on Boxing day.

We are a long way from sorting this in reality. Though surely a colder spell of sorts will do happen.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Think they must be using the ECM in the forecast which shows milder SW'lys before the low tracks in on Saturday -

ecm500.216.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well except this

ECM1-216.GIF?17-0

True, though a solid ECM mean. A lot of water to flow through the bridge yet however.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

No it isn't - I've seen full model support for a cold event dissapear within 72 hours of the event occuring, we're still looking at something that's a week away.

Whilst it's encouraging to see continued support, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet

yes December 2011 springs to mind the beast from the east got curtailed at t72. Still scars me does that one.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

18z doesn't phase the Scandi low with the low in the Atlantic like the ECM does, so we should be on our way to seeing another good FI here. Heights building into Greenland.

post-7073-0-68019900-1418854895_thumb.pn

• Like 1