Sign in to follow this  
knocker

Xmas rip offs

I've just bought seven Xmas cards and a book of first class stamps. Total cost £27! Definitely a license to print money.

On reflection I would rather have given the money to age concern or bought myself a new walking stick (in character)

post-12275-0-95586800-1418658146_thumb.j

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Why buy such expensive cards?

We have a local independent card shop which sells good quality cards for any occasion at no more than £1 each (sometimes 75p). We bought cards for both sets of parents, 1 grandparent, 4 siblings, 2 nephews and several aunts/uncles (12 cards) for about £9!

You can get a box of quite decent cards for less than a quid.

Get down to Clintons, it's really cheap! I went down there last year and got 6 really nice cards for £26!

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 1

Your not forced to buy the expensive items this time of year, shop wisely and do not get taken in by the adverts.

Even if it is a time of giving not taking there is no need to spend more than you can afford.

• Like 1

Also rather than buying tags, keep your old Christmas cards and cut the the front out to use as a tag.

Now come on most of my friends ( and myself) are still using quill pens. Facebook indeed...........................

• Like 1

You've been had I'm afraid, Knocker.

That's what I mean Nick. Taking advantage of a pensioner. :(

Edited by knocker

I agree Knocker, not all of us are on faceless or such sites.

MBA (Mountain Bothies Association) Christmas Cards are £4.50 for 9 - aII proceeds to charity :D    WouId never buy anything eIse!

Also rather than buying tags, keep your old Christmas cards and cut the the front out to use as a tag.

I just use a white sticky IabeI - about £1 for 100 ....

Actually for years, until now, I've used the painting by mouth collections.

When I wer't lad we cut up old cards for gift tags as well, parcels were wrapped with string and carefully undone to save and the paper removed, kept and used again the following year. I'm not mean but everything is far too disposable these days.

Best card I've had this year is from the little 'un complete with scribbles, a generous dose of glue and glitter made from finely chopped up redundant tinsel. It means the world to me that it's something he's made rather than being concocted from a Moonpig template.

• Like 1

Get down to Clintons, it's really cheap! I went down there last year and got 6 really nice cards for £26!

In fact I would say even that is too expensive. Card Factory does cheap decent ones.

I just tipp-ex out the cards I get and send them the following year! It especially freaks people out if you send their own card back to them!

i haven't sent any xmas cards to anybody in at least 15 years

Me neither - they're the cheapest sort by far. Some folk still send me 'em, will they ever learn? Why bother anyway - do some people need reminding that it's Xmas or summat? More to the point, why should anyone care?

• Like 1

Do you like anything, LG?  :p

Lots of things, lots and lots of things. But I dare say most NW types would find them quite distasteful and unappealing. But Xmas, sheesh. Why oh why do we go thru' precisely the same boring ol' circus every year, as if it's the greatest thing in the whole world evah and has never happened before? It's crap on telly, crap on radio, a glorified Sunday lunch and a day or two off work if you're lucky. Oh, and another pile of crappy cards that need disposing of again.

Lots of things, lots and lots of things. But I dare say most NW types would find them quite distasteful and unappealing. But Xmas, sheesh. Why oh why do we go thru' precisely the same boring ol' circus every year, as if it's the greatest thing in the whole world evah and has never happened before? It's crap on telly, crap on radio, a glorified Sunday lunch and a day or two off work if you're lucky. Oh, and another pile of crappy cards that need disposing of again.

Why do you think that?

I am not a fan of what xmas is but what it provides is good, in that it gives most people and families the same day off, the chance to spend it together and enjoy a day off, in this christmas pudding of shifts and 24/7 working it is harder for families to get together at the same time.

Anyway we have drifted off topic, xmas rip offs.  They continue as like any season item goes in and out of favour and so does the price.